Re: Renaming PyWhip

Andrew Harrington
PyKata sounds great. I think we will need a bit on the home page to explain the derivation.  It fits beautiful with the flexible ideas we have of this having parts useful to people at multiple levels with many different backgrounds.

Andy

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 9:46 PM, kirby urner <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 5:52 PM, David MacQuigg <[hidden email]> wrote:
PyKata ... YES!! Please don't tell me this means something awful in Korean. :>) According to Wikipedia:

  A kata can refer to any basic form, routine, or pattern of behavior
  that is practiced to various levels of mastery. In Japanese
  language, kata is a frequently-used word meaning “way of doing
  things,” with emphasis on the form and order of the process. Other
  meanings are “training method” and “formal exercise.” The goal of a
  painter’s practicing, for example, is to merge his consciousness
  with his brush; the potter’s with his clay; the garden designer’s
  with the materials of the garden. Once such mastery is achieved, the
  theory goes, the doing of a thing perfectly is as easy as thinking it.

Practice these problems until you can do them without thinking, at least not thinking about syntax. I used to practice Karate, and this fits perfectly.

Comments?

-- Dave

Seems creative and multi-cultural to boot.

Such a name might get the attention of Sara Ford of Microsoft Codeplex (aka "open source DNA") -- she's really big into Karate.  http://blogs.msdn.com/saraford/default.aspx

Python has always been about bridging multiple ethnicities.  Snake charmers + [ fill in the blank ] = coolness.

Kirby

Andrew N. Harrington
 Director of Academic Programs
 Computer Science Department
 Loyola University Chicago
 512B Lewis Towers (office)
 Snail mail to Lewis Towers 416
 820 North Michigan Avenue
 Chicago, Illinois 60611

http://www.cs.luc.edu/~anh
Phone: 312-915-7982
Fax:    312-915-7998
[hidden email] for graduate administration
[hidden email] for undergrad administration
[hidden email] as professor

Re: Renaming PyWhip

Andrew Harrington
>From my googling, pykata means build in Finnish.  Not bad.