Re: September agenda?

Aahz
On Mon, Aug 29, 2005, Ben Bangert wrote:

> On a sidenote, who actually decides any of this? Shouldn't there be
> a board/web-page or something for people to post topic proposals,
> and other people to vote on what they want to hear? If the topic is
> arbitrarily decided by someone, it doesn't seem like it'd be as likely
> to have as many people show up as something baypiggies coders voted to
> hear.

We have so rarely had more ideas/proposals than available dates
(particularly in terms of speakers to actually do presentations), it
simply hasn't come up.  (Until the last few months, we've usually had to
go begging as little as a week before the meeting.)  I've sort-of taken
on the task of arranging which speakers do which dates, but if someone
else wants to create a more formal process, that would be fine.
--
Aahz ([hidden email])           <*>         http://www.pythoncraft.com/

The way to build large Python applications is to componentize and
loosely-couple the hell out of everything.

Re: September agenda?

Aahz
On Wed, Aug 17, 2005, Shannon -jj Behrens wrote:

> I was thinking about giving a talk on my project
> http://gcipher.sf.net.  Specifically, I can cover using Glade/PyGTK/a
> simple framework, using the async module, and a simple plugin
> architecture.  On the other hand, I'd be much more interested in
> hearing other people give better talks.  It's hard to compare with a
> talk on Black magic, etc. ;)

How about planning on this for December?  (We've already got an October
talk for IronPort, and I'm assuming you'd prefer not to commute down to
Google.)

(Sorry I'm so far behind on the actual topic stuff -- I got slammed and
then I had to focus on getting a room.)

On Wed, Aug 17, 2005, Ben Bangert wrote:

> On Aug 17, 2005, at 6:57 AM, Aahz wrote:
>>
>>Anyone want to make a presentation or propose a topic for our next
>>meeting at Google?  (Please reply to list, not to me.)
>
> I recently created a Python project that implements the Ruby on Rails
> routes system (http://routes.groovie.org/).
> My talk would focus on:
> * What are routes?
> * Why are they so useful?
> * None of the web frameworks for Python can do url generation
> * Efficiency concerns of url generation, impact on web application
> performance
> * Integration with Python Web Frameworks (Myghty in this example)

You still up for doing this next week?
--
Aahz ([hidden email])           <*>         http://www.pythoncraft.com/

The way to build large Python applications is to componentize and
loosely-couple the hell out of everything.

Re: September agenda?

Ben Bangert
On Sep 7, 2005, at 6:59 AM, Aahz wrote:

My talk would focus on:
* What are routes?
* Why are they so useful?
* None of the web frameworks for Python can do url generation
* Efficiency concerns of url generation, impact on web application
performance
* Integration with Python Web Frameworks (Myghty in this example)

You still up for doing this next week?

Sure, although I thought the SQLObject and comparisons had more interest. My Routes project is close to a 0.1 release now, and actually has a few people integrating it into other existing frameworks (A guy integrated it with Aquarium already). Routes is very limited in scope, so the talk would probably only be 20-30 mins.

The SQLObject / Active Record / Hibernate multi-talk sounded like a great idea to me, although I haven't heard anyone volunteer to talk/compare on Hibernate yet.

Unfortunately, SQLObject isn't going to look too great next to the other two as its intended usage seems to be a lot more restrictive in scope (thus ActiveRecord and Hibernate will blow it away in features). So in a comparison talk, there'd be more time spent explaining features the other two have, and SQLObject doesn't.

If we'd like to keep the focus more on SQLObject (and Python), I'd suggest a talk on SQLObject in use with other Python tools, ie, SQLObject + Formencode, SQLObject used within Subway, easing database migrations, etc.

Given the time frame, I could be ready next week to give a talk on any of the following:
- Routes
- SQLObject multiple-speaker talk/comparison
- SQLObject + Formencode and other uses

Hope that helps,
Ben

Re: September agenda?

Stephen McInerney
Ben,

I compiled a survey of responses back in Mar 2003, you will find it in the
list archives.
It is well out of date and as I'm an EE hardware guy not a fulltime Python
developer
you'll find my software understanding is limited.

One of the surprising outcomes that is hard to fulfil is that people
expressed a broad mix of interest in general-interest and
application-oriented topics (engineering, AI, biology, other languages, grid
computing,
encryption, XML, PDAs etc.) as well as the obvious Pythonic stuff.
Invited speakers, academics, visitors, PhDs, book authors are good people to
try inviting.
If you want to take the initiative to repeat a survey with updated
categories, feel free
or contact me offlist.

For example one thing that would be both relevant, accessible and
interesting is
scientific visualization (MayaVi, SciPy, Enthought Python and suchlike) viz.
Computational Fluid Dynamics, atmospheric and climate.

Best,
Stephen

>From: Aahz <[hidden email]>
>To: [hidden email]
>Subject: Re: [Baypiggies] September agenda?
>Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 06:46:29 -0700
>
>On Mon, Aug 29, 2005, Ben Bangert wrote:
> >
> > On a sidenote, who actually decides any of this? Shouldn't there be
> > a board/web-page or something for people to post topic proposals,
> > and other people to vote on what they want to hear? If the topic is
> > arbitrarily decided by someone, it doesn't seem like it'd be as likely
> > to have as many people show up as something baypiggies coders voted to
> > hear.
>
>We have so rarely had more ideas/proposals than available dates
>(particularly in terms of speakers to actually do presentations), it
>simply hasn't come up.  (Until the last few months, we've usually had to
>go begging as little as a week before the meeting.)  I've sort-of taken
>on the task of arranging which speakers do which dates, but if someone
>else wants to create a more formal process, that would be fine.
>--
>Aahz ([hidden email])           <*>
>http://www.pythoncraft.com/
>
>The way to build large Python applications is to componentize and
>loosely-couple the hell out of everything.

python trainer

LarryT-3

Recent posts about Python classes got me thinking, and blabbing at
work, about trying to have a class at our facility in Sacramento.  I'm
looking for suggestions of who would be able and willing to teach an
intro to Python class in mid to late November.  We are a state agency
(Caltrans), so funding is a wild-card that can cause delays,
cancellations and, I think, natural disasters.

Please respond off line and note that I'll be away from virtual
reality for two weeks after tomorrow.  Will take this up again
then.

thank,
larry

Re: September agenda?

Shannon -jj Behrens
Sounds good.  If we find something more interesting to talk about than
a PyGTK app, I'll gladly yield my spot.

-jj

On 9/7/05, Aahz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 17, 2005, Shannon -jj Behrens wrote:
> >
> > I was thinking about giving a talk on my project
> > http://gcipher.sf.net.  Specifically, I can cover using Glade/PyGTK/a
> > simple framework, using the async module, and a simple plugin
> > architecture.  On the other hand, I'd be much more interested in
> > hearing other people give better talks.  It's hard to compare with a
> > talk on Black magic, etc. ;)
>
> How about planning on this for December?  (We've already got an October
> talk for IronPort, and I'm assuming you'd prefer not to commute down to
> Google.)
>
> (Sorry I'm so far behind on the actual topic stuff -- I got slammed and
> then I had to focus on getting a room.)
> --
> Aahz ([hidden email])           <*>         http://www.pythoncraft.com/
>
> The way to build large Python applications is to componentize and
> loosely-couple the hell out of everything.

--
I have decided to switch to Gmail, but messages to my Yahoo account will
still get through.

Re: September agenda?

Shannon -jj Behrens
By the way, it looks like I'm going to have to miss the SQLObject talk
which really sucks!  I was hoping to provide a summary of Hibernate,
but alas, I wasn't thinking ahead nine months ago when my wife and I
put a bun in the oven.  Our third child is due Wednesday, so I'm going
to be busy.  I can only hope slides will show up on the mailing list
;)

Thanks!

On Sat, Sep 10, 2005, Shannon -jj Behrens wrote:

> By the way, it looks like I'm going to have to miss the SQLObject talk
> which really sucks!  I was hoping to provide a summary of Hibernate,
> but alas, I wasn't thinking ahead nine months ago when my wife and I
> put a bun in the oven.  Our third child is due Wednesday, so I'm going
> to be busy.  I can only hope slides will show up on the mailing list
> ;)

Congratulations!  But surely SQLObject is more important than such a
minor detail as childbirth?...

On 9/10/05, Aahz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 10, 2005, Shannon -jj Behrens wrote:
> >
> > By the way, it looks like I'm going to have to miss the SQLObject talk
> > which really sucks!  I was hoping to provide a summary of Hibernate,
> > but alas, I wasn't thinking ahead nine months ago when my wife and I
> > put a bun in the oven.  Our third child is due Wednesday, so I'm going
> > to be busy.  I can only hope slides will show up on the mailing list
> > ;)
>
> Congratulations!  But surely SQLObject is more important than such a
> minor detail as childbirth?...

That was my feeling as well, but my wife threatened that if I didn't
show up, I would no longer be *capable* of fathering any more children
;)

-jj