Re: Site europython 2006

Jean-Marc Orliaguet

>jan 09 17:42:37 Aiste mwh: who was responsible for webpage and other related things in the last conf?
>jan 09 17:42:38 * dlk agrees with aiset - this is a hot topic  :-)
>jan 09 17:42:52 Aiste and who is interested in doing it this year?
>jan 09 17:42:56 dlk Aiste:  it was jean-marc.
>jan 09 17:42:56 mwh Aiste: i think jacob and laura did almost all of it
>jan 09 17:43:01 Aiste  :)
>jan 09 17:43:03 mwh content-wise, that is
>jan 09 17:43:10 dlk we switched from Plone to CPS because no-one was happy with plone.
>jan 09 17:43:16 Aiste content is somewhat separate from solution
>jan 09 17:43:27 pedronis Bene: in what it is written?
>jan 09 17:43:32 dlk and b fore that we swithced from something else to plone because none was happy with what was avialble then.
>jan 09 17:43:47 Aiste ok, same situation this year as I can see
>jan 09 17:43:53 zopepaul dlk: too bad the system won't write the words on the pages, as that's the real problem  :)
>jan 09 17:43:54 Aiste can we move the disscussion to mailing list
>jan 09 17:44:04 hpk +1

Hi,

As far as I can tell, the solution was a bit complex last year in that 3
different solutions were involved:

- Strakt's own system for the registration to the conference, schedule
planning and authors' bio and articles
(http://www.python-in-business.org/ep2005/presentation.chtml).
- CPS for the site content, information about the conference
(http://www.europython.org/)
- The wiki on python.org for user contributions (sprints,
etc..http://wiki.python.org/moin/EuroPython2005)

/JM

Re: Site europython 2006

Nicolas Chauvat
Just for historical concerns...

On Mon, Jan 09, 2006 at 06:42:52PM +0100, Jean-Marc Orliaguet wrote:
> >jan 09 17:43:10 dlk we switched from Plone to CPS because no-one was happy with plone.

or rather, people willing to do the work did not know plone and did
not want to learn.

> >jan 09 17:43:32 dlk and b fore that we swithced from something else to plone because none was happy with what was avialble then.

before that it was Zope and people willing to do the work thought it
would be easier with plone.

--
Nicolas Chauvat

logilab.fr - services en informatique avancée et gestion de connaissances

Re: Site europython 2006

Paul Everitt

Just to emphasize this point, history has shown that only a small
number of people, namely the conference organizers, spend any non-
negligible time working on *content* for the site.

As such, this organizer's group should be free to make any technology
choice they want.  The idea that "if we had a better tool, people
would write more" has proven itself to be wishful thinking.  People
simply haven't been motivated to write content, IMO, and use the
website technology as an excuse for lack of contribution.  (I'm as
much to blame on this as anybody.)

--Paul

On Jan 10, 2006, at 12:55 PM, Nicolas Chauvat wrote:

> Just for historical concerns...
>
> On Mon, Jan 09, 2006 at 06:42:52PM +0100, Jean-Marc Orliaguet wrote:
>>> jan 09 17:43:10 dlk we switched from Plone to CPS because no-one
>>> was happy with plone.
>
> or rather, people willing to do the work did not know plone and did
> not want to learn.
>
>>> jan 09 17:43:32 dlk and b fore that we swithced from something
>>> else to plone because none was happy with what was avialble then.
>
> before that it was Zope and people willing to do the work thought it
> would be easier with plone.
>
> --
> Nicolas Chauvat
>
> logilab.fr - services en informatique avancée et gestion de
> connaissances

Re: Site europython 2006

Laura Creighton

No, more correct the first time.  Many of the people who had used
Plone the year before _hated_ it.

Laura

On Tue, Jan 10, 2006 at 01:30:14PM +0100, Laura Creighton wrote:

> No, more correct the first time.  Many of the people who had used
> Plone the year before _hated_ it.

-1

but I completely agree with what paul said: let the people that do the
actual work use the tool they want.

what would be nice is that some kind soul finds a way to backup
content (wget ?) of older sites to make sure it stays available over
time. but as i can't, i won't complain if no one does.