Re: Talk @ Baypiggies in Feb?

Shannon -jj Behrens
On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 11:11 AM, Pete <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hiya-
>
> I was wondering if I could give a talk at next month's meeting.  It'd be on
> my Factory module: http://pypi.python.org/pypi/Factory/
>
> I gave this talk at Chipy a few months ago, and it was very well received.
>  It's about 1/2 hour long.
>
> Lemme know.

I'm cc'ing the rest of BayPiggies:

Your description sounded interesting to me.  Jim and Tony organize the
speakers, and they usually try to line up people a few months in
advance.  I'm not sure exactly when they have a slot for you, but you
have a +1 from me.  You might want to describe it a little more so
that the other people on the mailing list can get excited and give you
a +1 as well ;)

Thanks for volunteering!

-jj

--
In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things
with great love. -- Mother Teresa

Re: Talk @ Baypiggies in Feb?

Pete-110
On Jan 17, 2009, at 6:24 PM, Shannon -jj Behrens wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 11:11 AM, Pete <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hiya-
>>
>> I was wondering if I could give a talk at next month's meeting.
>> It'd be on
>> my Factory module: http://pypi.python.org/pypi/Factory/
>>
>> I gave this talk at Chipy a few months ago, and it was very well
>> received.
>> It's about 1/2 hour long.
>>
>> Lemme know.
>
> I'm cc'ing the rest of BayPiggies:
>
> Your description sounded interesting to me.  Jim and Tony organize the
> speakers, and they usually try to line up people a few months in
> advance.  I'm not sure exactly when they have a slot for you, but you

I'm only going to be here through late March... given the change to
the 4th Thursday, I'd need to do this next month (February) or not at
all.

> have a +1 from me.  You might want to describe it a little more so
> that the other people on the mailing list can get excited and give you
> a +1 as well ;)

Here's an abstract:

Factory is an object-oriented approach to partial function
application, also known as currying.

Python 2.5 added support for currying with the addition of
functools.partial: http://docs.python.org/whatsnew/2.5.html#pep-309-partial-function-application

The Factory module is a more powerful implementation of this pattern.
Some improvements include:
   - safer, as invalid arguments are detected immediately, instead of
at call time
   - intelligent support for classes, instance methods & all other
callables
   - bound arguments can be inspected and modified as attributes
   - several convenient methods for (re)binding arguments

Using Factories can:
   - simplify writing callbacks
   - reduce bugs in concurrent applications
   - provide easy lazy evaluation

This talk will demonstrate the Factory module and discuss its
implementation and uses.  Familiarity with currying is helpful but not
required.  More information is available at http://pypi.python.org/pypi/Factory/

The talk itself consists mainly of a live demo of the module, followed
by a brief review of its implementation.  It falls more on the side of
"cool things you can do that are unique to Python", in contrast to the
more typical "how to parse TPS reports in Python (or Perl or Java
or ...)" .  As such, it's a good insight in to the power of Python for
programmers new to the language, while providing plenty to keep old
hands entertained. I presented this talk to the Chicago group in
September and it was very well received, with one audience member even
suggesting the module should be included in the standard library.

> Thanks for volunteering!

Sure.  $DIETY knows, I like to talk. ;-)

--Pete

Re: Talk @ Baypiggies in Feb?

jim stockford

let's do it.

On Sun, 2009-01-18 at 11:26 -0800, Pete wrote:

> On Jan 17, 2009, at 6:24 PM, Shannon -jj Behrens wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 11:11 AM, Pete <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> Hiya-
> >>
> >> I was wondering if I could give a talk at next month's meeting.
> >> It'd be on
> >> my Factory module: http://pypi.python.org/pypi/Factory/
> >>
> >> I gave this talk at Chipy a few months ago, and it was very well
> >> received.
> >> It's about 1/2 hour long.
> >>
> >> Lemme know.
> >
> > I'm cc'ing the rest of BayPiggies:
> >
> > Your description sounded interesting to me.  Jim and Tony organize the
> > speakers, and they usually try to line up people a few months in
> > advance.  I'm not sure exactly when they have a slot for you, but you
>
> I'm only going to be here through late March... given the change to
> the 4th Thursday, I'd need to do this next month (February) or not at
> all.
>
> > have a +1 from me.  You might want to describe it a little more so
> > that the other people on the mailing list can get excited and give you
> > a +1 as well ;)
>
> Here's an abstract:

> Factory is an object-oriented approach to partial function
> application, also known as currying.
>
> Python 2.5 added support for currying with the addition of
> functools.partial: http://docs.python.org/whatsnew/2.5.html#pep-309-partial-function-application
>
> The Factory module is a more powerful implementation of this pattern.
> Some improvements include:
>    - safer, as invalid arguments are detected immediately, instead of
> at call time
>    - intelligent support for classes, instance methods & all other
> callables
>    - bound arguments can be inspected and modified as attributes
>    - several convenient methods for (re)binding arguments
>
> Using Factories can:
>    - simplify writing callbacks
>    - reduce bugs in concurrent applications
>    - provide easy lazy evaluation
>
> This talk will demonstrate the Factory module and discuss its
> implementation and uses.  Familiarity with currying is helpful but not
> required.  More information is available at http://pypi.python.org/pypi/Factory/
>
> The talk itself consists mainly of a live demo of the module, followed
> by a brief review of its implementation.  It falls more on the side of
> "cool things you can do that are unique to Python", in contrast to the
> more typical "how to parse TPS reports in Python (or Perl or Java
> or ...)" .  As such, it's a good insight in to the power of Python for
> programmers new to the language, while providing plenty to keep old
> hands entertained. I presented this talk to the Chicago group in
> September and it was very well received, with one audience member even
> suggesting the module should be included in the standard library.
>
> > Thanks for volunteering!
>
> Sure.  $DIETY knows, I like to talk. ;-)
>
> --Pete

Re: Tentative talk schedule Baypiggies Feb-Apr?

Stephen McInerney
++ on Pete on Factory module for February.

In that case maybe the Apr 23 would work for Damian (I think the Mar 26 is out for him),
and as mentioned he's coming from out-of-state. Jim can you talk offline with Damian?
In that case our tentative schedule would be [Jim please confirm]

[February 26] Pete Fein on Factory module
[March 26] OPEN
[April 23] maybe Damian Eads (if you can confirm this)?

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 11:36:47 -0800
> CC: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Baypiggies] Talk @ Baypiggies in Feb?
>

> let's do it.
>

> On Sun, 2009-01-18 at 11:26 -0800, Pete wrote:

> > > I'm cc'ing the rest of BayPiggies:
> > >
> > > Your description sounded interesting to me. Jim and Tony organize the
> > > speakers, and they usually try to line up people a few months in
> > > advance. I'm not sure exactly when they have a slot for you, but you
> >
> > I'm only going to be here through late March... given the change to
> > the 4th Thursday, I'd need to do this next month (February) or not at
> > all.
> >
> > > have a +1 from me. You might want to describe it a little more so
> > > that the other people on the mailing list can get excited and give you
> > > a +1 as well ;)
> >
> > Here's an abstract:

> > Factory is an object-oriented approach to partial function
> > application, also known as currying.
> >
> > Python 2.5 added support for currying with the addition of
> > functools.partial: http://docs.python.org/whatsnew/2.5.html#pep-309-partial-function-application
> >
> > The Factory module is a more powerful implementation of this pattern.
> > Some improvements include:
> > - safer, as invalid arguments are detected immediately, instead of
> > at call time
> > - intelligent support for classes, instance methods & all other
> > callables
> > - bound arguments can be inspected and modified as attributes
> > - several convenient methods for (re)binding arguments
> >
> > Using Factories can:
> > - simplify writing callbacks
> > - reduce bugs in concurrent applications
> > - provide easy lazy evaluation
> >
> > This talk will demonstrate the Factory module and discuss its
> > implementation and uses. Familiarity with currying is helpful but not
> > required. More information is available at http://pypi.python.org/pypi/Factory/
> >
> > The talk itself consists mainly of a live demo of the module, followed
> > by a brief review of its implementation. It falls more on the side of
> > "cool things you can do that are unique to Python", in contrast to the
> > more typical "how to parse TPS reports in Python (or Perl or Java
> > or ...)" . As such, it's a good insight in to the power of Python for
> > programmers new to the language, while providing plenty to keep old
> > hands entertained. I presented this talk to the Chicago group in
> > September and it was very well received, with one audience member even
> > suggesting the module should be included in the standard library.
> >
> > > Thanks for volunteering!
> >
> > Sure. $DIETY knows, I like to talk. ;-)
> >
> > --Pete

Windows Liveā„¢ HotmailĀ®: Chat. Store. Share. Do more with mail. See how it works.

Re: Talk @ Baypiggies in Feb?

Pete-110
Great, thanks!

We should prolly find a second less-than-full-length talk; while I can
stretch this out a bit, I don't think I can make a full meeting of it.
In Chicago, we sometimes do one longer talk and a few lightning talks
(5-15 minutes). Keeps things interesting, lightens the burden on any
one speaker & gives more people a chance to present.

On Jan 18, 2009, at 11:36 AM, jim wrote:

> let's do it.
>

> On Sun, 2009-01-18 at 11:26 -0800, Pete wrote:

>>> I'm cc'ing the rest of BayPiggies:
>>>
>>> Your description sounded interesting to me.  Jim and Tony organize
>>> the
>>> speakers, and they usually try to line up people a few months in
>>> advance.  I'm not sure exactly when they have a slot for you, but
>>> you
>>
>> I'm only going to be here through late March... given the change to
>> the 4th Thursday, I'd need to do this next month (February) or not at
>> all.
>>
>>> have a +1 from me.  You might want to describe it a little more so
>>> that the other people on the mailing list can get excited and give
>>> you
>>> a +1 as well ;)
>>
>> Here's an abstract:

>> Factory is an object-oriented approach to partial function
>> application, also known as currying.
>>
>> Python 2.5 added support for currying with the addition of
>> functools.partial: http://docs.python.org/whatsnew/2.5.html#pep-309-partial-function-application
>>
>> The Factory module is a more powerful implementation of this pattern.
>> Some improvements include:
>>   - safer, as invalid arguments are detected immediately, instead of
>> at call time
>>   - intelligent support for classes, instance methods & all other
>> callables
>>   - bound arguments can be inspected and modified as attributes
>>   - several convenient methods for (re)binding arguments
>>
>> Using Factories can:
>>   - simplify writing callbacks
>>   - reduce bugs in concurrent applications
>>   - provide easy lazy evaluation
>>
>> This talk will demonstrate the Factory module and discuss its
>> implementation and uses.  Familiarity with currying is helpful but
>> not
>> required.  More information is available at http://pypi.python.org/pypi/Factory/
>>
>> The talk itself consists mainly of a live demo of the module,
>> followed
>> by a brief review of its implementation.  It falls more on the side
>> of
>> "cool things you can do that are unique to Python", in contrast to
>> the
>> more typical "how to parse TPS reports in Python (or Perl or Java
>> or ...)" .  As such, it's a good insight in to the power of Python
>> for
>> programmers new to the language, while providing plenty to keep old
>> hands entertained. I presented this talk to the Chicago group in
>> September and it was very well received, with one audience member
>> even
>> suggesting the module should be included in the standard library.
>>
>>> Thanks for volunteering!
>>
>> Sure.  $DIETY knows, I like to talk. ;-)
>>
>> --Pete

Re: Talk @ Baypiggies in Feb?

jim stockford

   it's surprising how a small information load
can take up time. don't worry about filling the
time, but you can begin with an overview (what
problem is solved), then talk about practical
matters of setting up (what tools, complementary
modules, and anything else that one can use for
practical coding), then some code examples, then
note any pitfalls, maybe common blind-alley
thinking traps, then questions and discussion,
and what do you know: the security staff is
trying to kick us out.
   if you think you can give your talk in about
30 minutes, it'll almost certainly expand to 45.
don't worry if it's less. we can fill in before
and after your talk with one or more newbie
nuggets (lightning talks), announcements, and
discussion.
   if you think you'll have trouble filling 30,
let us know and we'll fix up newbie nuggets to
order.
   this is for thursday, february 26, right?

On Sun, 2009-01-18 at 13:36 -0800, Pete wrote:

> Great, thanks!
>
> We should prolly find a second less-than-full-length talk; while I can
> stretch this out a bit, I don't think I can make a full meeting of it.
> In Chicago, we sometimes do one longer talk and a few lightning talks
> (5-15 minutes). Keeps things interesting, lightens the burden on any
> one speaker & gives more people a chance to present.
>
> On Jan 18, 2009, at 11:36 AM, jim wrote:
>

> > let's do it.

> >> I'm only going to be here through late March... given the change to
> >> the 4th Thursday, I'd need to do this next month (February) or not at
> >> all.

> >> Here's an abstract:

> >> Factory is an object-oriented approach to partial function
> >> application, also known as currying.
> >>
> >> Python 2.5 added support for currying with the addition of
> >> functools.partial: http://docs.python.org/whatsnew/2.5.html#pep-309-partial-function-application
> >>
> >> The Factory module is a more powerful implementation of this pattern.
> >> Some improvements include:
> >>   - safer, as invalid arguments are detected immediately, instead of
> >> at call time
> >>   - intelligent support for classes, instance methods & all other
> >> callables
> >>   - bound arguments can be inspected and modified as attributes
> >>   - several convenient methods for (re)binding arguments
> >>
> >> Using Factories can:
> >>   - simplify writing callbacks
> >>   - reduce bugs in concurrent applications
> >>   - provide easy lazy evaluation
> >>
> >> This talk will demonstrate the Factory module and discuss its
> >> implementation and uses.  Familiarity with currying is helpful but
> >> not
> >> required.  More information is available at http://pypi.python.org/pypi/Factory/
> >>
> >> The talk itself consists mainly of a live demo of the module,
> >> followed
> >> by a brief review of its implementation.  It falls more on the side
> >> of
> >> "cool things you can do that are unique to Python", in contrast to
> >> the
> >> more typical "how to parse TPS reports in Python (or Perl or Java
> >> or ...)" .  As such, it's a good insight in to the power of Python
> >> for
> >> programmers new to the language, while providing plenty to keep old
> >> hands entertained. I presented this talk to the Chicago group in
> >> September and it was very well received, with one audience member
> >> even
> >> suggesting the module should be included in the standard library.

> >> Sure.  $DIETY knows, I like to talk. ;-)
> >>
> >> --Pete

Re: Talk @ Baypiggies in Feb?

Pete-110
On Jan 18, 2009, at 4:10 PM, jim wrote:

>   it's surprising how a small information load
> can take up time. don't worry about filling the
> time, but you can begin with an overview (what
> problem is solved), then talk about practical
> matters of setting up (what tools, complementary
> modules, and anything else that one can use for
> practical coding), then some code examples, then
> note any pitfalls, maybe common blind-alley
> thinking traps, then questions and discussion,
> and what do you know: the security staff is
> trying to kick us out.
>   if you think you can give your talk in about
> 30 minutes, it'll almost certainly expand to 45.
> don't worry if it's less. we can fill in before
> and after your talk with one or more newbie
> nuggets (lightning talks), announcements, and
> discussion.

I can try to add a little more material showing real-world use cases,
but I've already got most of the above covered.  I've given this
before, and really, it's just not that long of a talk. ;-)

>   if you think you'll have trouble filling 30,
> let us know and we'll fix up newbie nuggets to
> order.

Filling 30 minutes is no problem, 45 is a stretch and an hour is out.
I don't know how long your meetings usually go.

>   this is for thursday, february 26, right?

Yup.

--Pete

Re: Talk @ Baypiggies in Feb?

jim stockford

   not to worry. we'll work on having not one
but two newbie nuggets to supplement your talk.
   meetings start at 7:35 PM with a newbie
nugget--probably two newbie nuggets in your
case. then comes The Talk (you're on), which
goes until 8:30 to 8:45. then there are
announcements ("mapping") and getting together
("random access").
   per above, you'd start your talk around
8 PM and finish up around 8:30 or a little
later. usually there are five or ten minutes
worth of announcements, and some people stay
to chat with each other (e.g. follow up on
a job announcement). nobody's ever complained
about a talk that was too short.
   if there's anything we can do to help you
out, make things pleasant (e.g. give a ride),
or whatever, let us know.
   many thanks,
jim for baypiggies

On Sun, 2009-01-18 at 17:07 -0800, Pete wrote:

> On Jan 18, 2009, at 4:10 PM, jim wrote:
> >
> >   it's surprising how a small information load
> > can take up time. don't worry about filling the
> > time, but you can begin with an overview (what
> > problem is solved), then talk about practical
> > matters of setting up (what tools, complementary
> > modules, and anything else that one can use for
> > practical coding), then some code examples, then
> > note any pitfalls, maybe common blind-alley
> > thinking traps, then questions and discussion,
> > and what do you know: the security staff is
> > trying to kick us out.
> >   if you think you can give your talk in about
> > 30 minutes, it'll almost certainly expand to 45.
> > don't worry if it's less. we can fill in before
> > and after your talk with one or more newbie
> > nuggets (lightning talks), announcements, and
> > discussion.
>
> I can try to add a little more material showing real-world use cases,
> but I've already got most of the above covered.  I've given this
> before, and really, it's just not that long of a talk. ;-)
>
> >   if you think you'll have trouble filling 30,
> > let us know and we'll fix up newbie nuggets to
> > order.
>
> Filling 30 minutes is no problem, 45 is a stretch and an hour is out.
> I don't know how long your meetings usually go.
>
> >   this is for thursday, february 26, right?
>
> Yup.
>
> --Pete

Re: Talk @ Baypiggies in Feb?

Shannon -jj Behrens
If someone can give a 30 minute talk on PyDev, that would be an
awesome way to fill out the meeting, at least in my opinion.

-jj

--
In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things
with great love. -- Mother Teresa
http://jjinux.blogspot.com/

Re: Talk @ Baypiggies in Feb?

Nathan Ramella
  If nobody else feels strongly about doing a PyDev talk, I'll be
happy to step up to the plate.

-n