Re: [buildout-versions] Can buildout-versions made to work for zc.buildout v1.4.*? (#1)

Re: [buildout-versions] Can buildout-versions made to work for zc.buildout v1.4.*? (#1)

Chris Withers
Hi Wouter,

On 20/10/2011 18:58, Wouter Vanden Hove wrote:
> I have not delved deep in to buildout-extensions, but  why can buildout.dumppickedversions be used with zc.buildout v1.4.*
> while buildout-versions requires  1.5.0?

buildout-versions has a bit more functionality that
buildout.dumppickedversions now ;-)

> is it doable  to add compatibility for zc.buildout  v1.4.*?

What's stopping you moving to buildout 1.5?

Chris

             - http://www.simplistix.co.uk

Re: [buildout-versions] Can buildout-versions made to work for zc.buildout v1.4.*? (#1)

Wichert Akkerman
On 2011-10-21 19:39, Chris Withers wrote:
>> is it doable to add compatibility for zc.buildout v1.4.*?
>
> What's stopping you moving to buildout 1.5?

In my experience buildout 1.5 fails badly on some newer ubuntu systems,
while buildout 1.4 still works flawlessly.

Wichert.

--
Wichert Akkerman <[hidden email]>   It is simple to make things.
http://www.wiggy.net/                  It is hard to make things simple.

On 21/10/2011 19:29, Wouter Vanden Hove wrote:
> 1) Plone is officially still using zc.buildout 1.4.*
>     see for example  http://dist.plone.org/release/4.1.2/versions.cfg  refers to
>     http://download.zope.org/Zope2/index/2.13.10/versions.cfg  which refers to
>     http://download.zope.org/zopetoolkit/index/1.0.4/ztk-versions.cfg
>     -->  zc.buildout = 1.4.4

Yeah, but you'll be fine to specify a newer version of buildout, eg:

[buildout]
extends = http://dist.plone.org/release/4.1.2/versions.cfg
version = versions

[versions]
zc.buildout = 1.5.whatever

> 2) unrelated to that, I'd like to have my buildout-directories as a virtualenv
>     but  virtualenv conflicts with zc.buildout>=1.5
>     see  http://mail.python.org/pipermail/distutils-sig/2010-April/016062.html

Well, this is kind of irrelevant, buildout 1.5 makes wrapping the
buildout in a virtualenv unnecessary...

cheers,

Chris

             - http://www.simplistix.co.uk

On 21/10/2011 23:35, Jonathan Ballet wrote:
> I never used buildout-versions, but buildout.dumppickedversions is quite
> buggy IMO.

Yeah, it's one of the reasons why I forked it...

> I worked a bit to make the output more stable over successive run: my
> use case was to bootstrap a project and keep using the same dependencies
> and versions (no matter what they were in the beginning) as long as i
> didn't change the versions.cfg file.

Yeah, that's how buildout-versions works, I'd encourage you to give it a
try and let me know if you hit any problems...

> But there are many other corner cases that aren't detected by the
> extension, and the tests are so long to run and so dependant on
> setuptools or distribute that I stopped working on it and stopped using
> it also. If I would need such functionality again, I will head towards
> buildout-versions instead...

buzzkill:buildout-versions chris$ bin/test -v
Running tests at level 1
Running zope.testrunner.layer.UnitTests tests:
   Set up zope.testrunner.layer.UnitTests in 0.000 seconds.
   Running:
   Ran 47 tests with 0 failures and 0 errors in 17.296 seconds.
Tearing down left over layers:
   Tear down zope.testrunner.layer.UnitTests in 0.000 seconds.

There is one slow test in there, but I don't think that's outrageously
slow...

cheers,

Chris

             - http://www.simplistix.co.uk

On 21/10/2011 20:34, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> On 2011-10-21 19:39, Chris Withers wrote:
>>> is it doable to add compatibility for zc.buildout v1.4.*?
>>
>> What's stopping you moving to buildout 1.5?
>
> In my experience buildout 1.5 fails badly on some newer ubuntu systems,
> while buildout 1.4 still works flawlessly.

Hmm, well, buildout-versions is up on GitHub, I wonder whether someone
could work up a branch that works with buildout 1.4?

It may just be a case of relaxing the requirement in setup.py, running
the tests and seeing what happens...

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk