Redirect using HTTP status "303 See Other"

Redirect using HTTP status "303 See Other"

Duane Hutchins
The "302 Found" redirect is used by default in ​django.http.response HttpResponseRedirect.

Could we discuss changing this to use "303 See Other" redirects?

303 redirects are more in-line with the intent of the redirect after a change, and also 303 redirects disallow browser caching.
If a browser serves a cached response without revalidation, then the server would not receive the request.

303 redirects are not supported by HTTP/1.0, but all modern browsers now support HTTP/1.1 or higher.

What does everyone think about changing 302 redirects to 303?

Re: Redirect using HTTP status "303 See Other"

Collin Anderson-2
I don't think we should make any changes to HttpResponseRedirect, for backwards compatibility reasons if nothing else.

It might make sense to encourage people to use HttpResonse(status=303) directly, rather than using subclasses.