Release of IPython 5.2.0

Matthias Bussonnier
Hi all,

I've just released IPython 5.2 about 6 month after IPython 5.1, it is
now available on PyPI:
https://pypi.python.org/pypi/ipython

This is the second bugfix after IPython 5.0 and is the current stable branch.
It is has about 3 time more patches compare to 5.1 (434 commits 5.1 ->
5.2 vs 129 commits  5.0 ->5.1).

You can install it now by using :

$ pip install ipython --upgrade

As usual we recommend to all users to upgrade.

It will take a few days/weeks to propagate to conda/conda-forge/your
favorite distribution (contribution on this front is welcomed)

You can see notable changes here[1], as well as more statistics
there[2]. You'll see mostly bugfixes, with only a couple of change in
behavior (removed Pdb smart mode introduced in 5.1) and addition of F2
shortcut to edit current text in $EDITOR. Plus a couple of convenience
functions here and there, better docs and warning about deprecations.

One change that may impact further redistribution is the lack of
`.zip` source distribution (only a .tar.gz) as per change in PyPI
policy.

You might also see that PR backport are now automatic thanks to our bot.

As a reminder the 5.x series is our long term support branch, and will
live until 2020, the current development branch is 6.x, and only
critical bugfix/documentation get backported and actively worked on.
At some point after the 6.0 release we will lower our involvement on
the 5.x branch and will only accept patches (not actively working on
fixes) and backport only on request.

There are already issue and PR targeting 5.3 on which we would welcome help.

Let us know if you have any issue with this new version.

Thanks to everyone involved!

Enjoy,
--
Matthias

1: http://ipython.readthedocs.io/en/stable/whatsnew/version5.html#ipython-5-2
2: http://ipython.readthedocs.io/en/stable/whatsnew/github-stats-5.html

Re: Release of IPython 5.2.0

Damián Avila
Just an update, Thomas released 5.2.1 a few hours ago.

Thank you both Matthias and Thomas!!

[...]

Fernando Perez
+1, thanks folks for charging on this front!​