Remove copyright statement?

Ville M. Vainio
It's bike shed time!

Default IPython banner is now:

----------
Python 2.5.1 (r251:54863, Apr 18 2007, 08:51:08) [MSC v.1310 32 bit (Intel)]

IPython 0.8.2.svn.r2680 -- An enhanced Interactive Python.
? or %quickref -> Introduction to IPython's features, or quick reference.
%magic  -> Information about IPython's 'magic' % functions.
help    -> Python's own help system.
----------

(Yes, I just added %quickref there).

Now, would it make sense to remove the line with:

'Type "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.'

These days, when open source is such an "obvious" thing, it feels a
bit GNU/RMS and takes up space. And probably means nothing
juridically, anyway.

I don't care much personally, I use the sh profile with the minimal banner:

----
d:\ipython>python IPython.py -p sh
IPython 0.8.2.svn.r2680   [on Py 2.5.1]
[d:/ipython]|1>
-----

but this could be an aesthetic win for the users of default profile. I
could also combine the ipython and python version on the same line as
is done in sh profile.

Re: Remove copyright statement?

Brian Granger-2
I am fine with the addition of quickref, but I would prefer to keep
the "->"s aligned.  To do this we might want to put the ? and
%quickref on different lines.  This makes it more readable.

Brian

On 8/28/07, Ville M. Vainio <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It's bike shed time!
>
> Default IPython banner is now:
>
> ----------
> Python 2.5.1 (r251:54863, Apr 18 2007, 08:51:08) [MSC v.1310 32 bit (Intel)]
>
> IPython 0.8.2.svn.r2680 -- An enhanced Interactive Python.
> ? or %quickref -> Introduction to IPython's features, or quick reference.
> %magic  -> Information about IPython's 'magic' % functions.
> help    -> Python's own help system.
> object? -> Details about 'object'. ?object also works, ?? prints more.
> ----------
>
> (Yes, I just added %quickref there).
>
> Now, would it make sense to remove the line with:
>
> 'Type "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.'
>
> These days, when open source is such an "obvious" thing, it feels a
> bit GNU/RMS and takes up space. And probably means nothing
> juridically, anyway.
>
> I don't care much personally, I use the sh profile with the minimal banner:
>
> ----
> d:\ipython>python IPython.py -p sh
> IPython 0.8.2.svn.r2680   [on Py 2.5.1]
> [d:/ipython]|1>
> -----
>
> but this could be an aesthetic win for the users of default profile. I
> could also combine the ipython and python version on the same line as
> is done in sh profile.
>
> --
> Ville M. Vainio - vivainio.googlepages.com
> blog=360.yahoo.com/villevainio - g[mail | talk]='vivainio'

Re: Remove copyright statement?

Fernando Perez
On 8/28/07, Brian Granger <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am fine with the addition of quickref, but I would prefer to keep
> the "->"s aligned.  To do this we might want to put the ? and
> %quickref on different lines.  This makes it more readable.

Don't worry, I'm an OCD sufferer too, so I was going to fix that  :)

On 8/29/07, Fernando Perez <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 8/28/07, Brian Granger <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I am fine with the addition of quickref, but I would prefer to keep
> > the "->"s aligned.  To do this we might want to put the ? and
> > %quickref on different lines.  This makes it more readable.
>
> Don't worry, I'm an OCD sufferer too, so I was going to fix that  :)

Being more of an ADHD personality myself, I'd remove from banner:

- copyright statement
- %magic (%quickref is enough)
- help (do people still use it these days? if they do, they don't need
to be told about it again)

Re: Remove copyright statement?

Fernando Perez
On 8/28/07, Ville M. Vainio <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 8/29/07, Fernando Perez <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On 8/28/07, Brian Granger <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > I am fine with the addition of quickref, but I would prefer to keep
> > > the "->"s aligned.  To do this we might want to put the ? and
> > > %quickref on different lines.  This makes it more readable.
> >
> > Don't worry, I'm an OCD sufferer too, so I was going to fix that  :)
>
> Being more of an ADHD personality myself, I'd remove from banner:
>
> - copyright statement

The default python still carries it, so I'm leaving it.  We build on
Python through and through, and I want to keep it clear that ipython
is just python+lots more, but acknowledging that foundation very
explicitly.

> - %magic (%quickref is enough)

Yup, I'm happy replacing this, as long as we add a little blurb about
what magics are in the first place to %quickref (could just be to
copy/paste the first paragraph of %magic to %quidref).

> - help (do people still use it these days? if they do, they don't need
> to be told about it again)

New users do need to be told about it, since by definition of 'new'
it's not 'again'.  So help stays.