Renaming PyWhip...

jelkner
Hi All,

Andy Harrington and I will be working with group of students on PyWhip
(http://pywhip.appspot.com).  The 1st order of business is coming up
with a new name for it, and I wanted to run it by the edu-sig list
before making the final decision.

I like tryPy, what do folks think?

jeff elkner
open book project
http://openbookproject.net

Re: Renaming PyWhip...

André Roberge

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 7:17 PM, Jeff Elkner <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi All,

Andy Harrington and I will be working with group of students on PyWhip
(http://pywhip.appspot.com).  The 1st order of business is coming up
with a new name for it, and I wanted to run it by the edu-sig list
before making the final decision.

I like tryPy, what do folks think?

Personally, I find tryPy a bit too similar to http://www.trypython.org/ in name and, furthermore, the name tryPy conjures the image of simply trying Python ... rather than a tool designed to help learning it.

How about something along the lines of PyDrills or PyExercises or PyPractice ?

André

jeff elkner
open book project
http://openbookproject.net

Re: Renaming PyWhip...

jelkner
+1 on PyPractice

Any other thoughts?  If I don't hear any serious objections, I'll go
with PyPractice.

jeff elkner

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 7:09 PM, Andre Roberge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 7:17 PM, Jeff Elkner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Andy Harrington and I will be working with group of students on PyWhip
>> (http://pywhip.appspot.com).  The 1st order of business is coming up
>> with a new name for it, and I wanted to run it by the edu-sig list
>> before making the final decision.
>>
>> I like tryPy, what do folks think?
>
> Personally, I find tryPy a bit too similar to http://www.trypython.org/ in
> name and, furthermore, the name tryPy conjures the image of simply trying
> Python ... rather than a tool designed to help learning it.
>
> How about something along the lines of PyDrills or PyExercises or PyPractice
> ?
>
> André
>

>> jeff elkner
>> open book project
>> http://openbookproject.net

Re: Renaming PyWhip...

jelkner
A sense of humor is a great thing, Jeremy, but in this case I'm
looking for a name which clearly communicates the purpose of the app /
project to the uninitiated.  André's suggestion of PyPractice hits the
spot for me, but there may be other possibilities in a similar vain.

jeff elkner

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 7:23 PM, Jeremy Gray <[hidden email]> wrote:
> or depending on the intended audience, maybe something small snackable and
> whimsical, like BiteIntoPy or ItsyBitsyBitesOfPy?
>
> --Jeremy

Re: Renaming PyWhip...

kirby urner-4
How about FlyPy as in taking her out for a test flight.

Snake with little wings as a logo?

Or maybe we're saving that for the airline. :)

Kirby