Roadmap, Future Releases etc.

Phil Thompson-5
There are a few things going on in the Qt world at the moment which will impact PyQt so I thought it was worth outlining the plans for future releases of Riverbank packages.

SIP v4
------

SIP v4.18 will be released soon. v4.18.x will be the last series of releases (ie. there will be no v4.19). This release is expected to support the generation of Python type hint stub files. However it's main purpose is to issue deprecation warnings for any feature used that isn't supported by SIP v5. SIP v4 will be supported for "some time" (at most a year) after the release of SIP v5.

SIP v5
------

SIP v5 will be released when ready. It will not be radically different to SIP v4. All deprecated features will be removed. All internal knowledge of PyQt will be removed. It will be able to be installed from PyPi.

PyQt v4
-------

PyQt v4.12 will be released soon. As Qt v4 is no longer supported, v4.12.x will be the last series of releases. It will support both SIP v4 and SIP v5. It will be supprted for the forseeable future but new releases will be relatively infrequent.

PyQt v5
-------

PyQt v5.6 will be released soon - depending on the release of Qt v5.6. New features of Qt will be added to PyQt as usual. It will support both SIP v4 and SIP v5. It is possible that new features may depend on SIP v5, but it will still be possible to use SIP v4 with those features disabled. It is planned that the Windows binary installers will no longer include Qt itself. This has become possible because installers for Python and Qt should be available that have been built with compatible compilers. It may even be possible to replace the PyQt installers with downloads from PyPi.

QScintilla
----------

QScintilla will continue to track releases of Scintilla. It will support both SIP v4 and SIP v5. A future version will include a utility to convert Python type hint stub files to .api files.

PyQt Charts
-----------

A GPL version will be released when the corresponding Qt version is released (expected to be Qt v5.6). Like the commercial version it will be packaged separately.

PyQt Data Visualisation
-----------------------

A GPL version will be released when the corresponding Qt version is released (expected to be Qt v5.7). Like the commercial version it will be packaged separately.

PyQt Purchasing
---------------

A GPL version will be released when the corresponding Qt version is released (expected to be Qt v5.7). Like the commercial version it will be packaged separately.

pyqtdeploy
----------

pyqtdeploy will continue to track the latest releases of related packages. Immediate development is likely to concentrate on making it easier to create an appropriate deployment environment.

Feedback and comments very welcome...

Phil

Re: Roadmap, Future Releases etc.

Detlev Offenbach

Hi Phil,

thanks for sharing this roadmap info with us. I have one question related to how you plan to support QtWebKit in the future. According to info given by qt.io this will not be included in the Qt installers starting from Qt 5.6 anymore. However, I think there are quite a few people around that would like to use it (e.g. with eric) but don't want to install a complete C++ development environment just to compile it on Windows. Any idea how to deal with this situation without causing pains on either side?

Detlev

On Sunday 24 January 2016, 12:25:21 Phil Thompson wrote:

> [...]

> separately.

> PyQt Data Visualisation

> -----------------------

> A GPL version will be released when the corresponding Qt version is released

> (expected to be Qt v5.7). Like the commercial version it will be packaged

> separately.

> PyQt Purchasing

> ---------------

> A GPL version will be released when the corresponding Qt version is released

> (expected to be Qt v5.7). Like the commercial version it will be packaged

> separately.

> pyqtdeploy

> ----------

> pyqtdeploy will continue to track the latest releases of related packages.

> Immediate development is likely to concentrate on making it easier to

> create an appropriate deployment environment.

Detlev Offenbach

On 24 Jan 2016, at 2:09 pm, Detlev Offenbach <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Phil,
>
> thanks for sharing this roadmap info with us. I have one question related to how you plan to support QtWebKit in the future. According to info given by qt.io this will not be included in the Qt installers starting from Qt 5.6 anymore. However, I think there are quite a few people around that would like to use it (e.g. with eric) but don't want to install a complete C++ development environment just to compile it on Windows. Any idea how to deal with this situation without causing pains on either side?

Sorry no. If qt.io don't want the burden of providing it then I certainly don't want to take it on. I'm not saying I agree with their decision, but I'm not in the position of being able to provide a solution.

Phil

Re: Roadmap, Future Releases etc.

Scott Kitterman

On January 24, 2016 9:30:00 AM EST, Phil Thompson <[hidden email]> wrote:

>On 24 Jan 2016, at 2:09 pm, Detlev Offenbach <[hidden email]>
>wrote:
>>
>> Hi Phil,
>>
>> thanks for sharing this roadmap info with us. I have one question
>related to how you plan to support QtWebKit in the future. According to
>info given by qt.io this will not be included in the Qt installers
>starting from Qt 5.6 anymore. However, I think there are quite a few
>people around that would like to use it (e.g. with eric) but don't want
>to install a complete C++ development environment just to compile it on
>Windows. Any idea how to deal with this situation without causing pains
>on either side?
>
>Sorry no. If qt.io don't want the burden of providing it then I
>certainly don't want to take it on. I'm not saying I agree with their
>decision, but I'm not in the position of being able to provide a
>solution.

AIUI, they are still providing source releases.  You're going to continue to support that, right?

Scott K

Re: Roadmap, Future Releases etc.

Phil Thompson-5

> On 24 Jan 2016, at 2:46 pm, Scott Kitterman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> On January 24, 2016 9:30:00 AM EST, Phil Thompson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 24 Jan 2016, at 2:09 pm, Detlev Offenbach <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Phil,
>>>
>>> thanks for sharing this roadmap info with us. I have one question
>> related to how you plan to support QtWebKit in the future. According to
>> info given by qt.io this will not be included in the Qt installers
>> starting from Qt 5.6 anymore. However, I think there are quite a few
>> people around that would like to use it (e.g. with eric) but don't want
>> to install a complete C++ development environment just to compile it on
>> Windows. Any idea how to deal with this situation without causing pains
>> on either side?
>>
>> Sorry no. If qt.io don't want the burden of providing it then I
>> certainly don't want to take it on. I'm not saying I agree with their
>> decision, but I'm not in the position of being able to provide a
>> solution.
>
> AIUI, they are still providing source releases.  You're going to continue to support that, right?

Yes, if they are part of the official release. If not then I won't do anything to break things, but they won't be officially supported.

Phil

Re: Roadmap, Future Releases etc.

Florian Bruhin
* Phil Thompson <[hidden email]> [2016-01-24 12:25:21 +0000]:
> There are a few things going on in the Qt world at the moment which
> will impact PyQt so I thought it was worth outlining the plans for
> future releases of Riverbank packages.

Thanks for keeping us up-to-date! :)

> SIP v4
> ------
>
> SIP v4.18 will be released soon. v4.18.x will be the last series of
> releases (ie. there will be no v4.19). This release is expected to
> support the generation of Python type hint stub files.

You mentioned you don't know yet whether this will replace XML
generation or if both will coexist. Any new information on that?

> SIP v5
> ------
>
> SIP v5 will be released when ready. It will not be radically
> different to SIP v4. All deprecated features will be removed. All
> internal knowledge of PyQt will be removed. It will be able to be
> installed from PyPi.

Nice to hear about it being installable via PyPI! Looking at e.g. the
#python IRC channel, this always was a pain point for some people.

> PyQt Charts
> -----------
>
> A GPL version will be released when the corresponding Qt version is
> released (expected to be Qt v5.6). Like the commercial version it
> will be packaged separately.
>
> PyQt Data Visualisation
> -----------------------
>
> A GPL version will be released when the corresponding Qt version is
> released (expected to be Qt v5.7). Like the commercial version it
> will be packaged separately.
>
> PyQt Purchasing
> ---------------
>
> A GPL version will be released when the corresponding Qt version is
> released (expected to be Qt v5.7). Like the commercial version it
> will be packaged separately.
Glad to hear the PyQt counterparts are becoming GPL as well!

> Feedback and comments very welcome...

Great news overall, keep up the good work!

Florian

--
http://www.the-compiler.org | [hidden email] (Mail/XMPP)

Re: Roadmap, Future Releases etc.

Florian Bruhin
* Phil Thompson <[hidden email]> [2016-01-24 16:17:26 +0000]:

> > On 24 Jan 2016, at 2:46 pm, Scott Kitterman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On January 24, 2016 9:30:00 AM EST, Phil Thompson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >> related to how you plan to support QtWebKit in the future. According to
> >> info given by qt.io this will not be included in the Qt installers
> >> starting from Qt 5.6 anymore. However, I think there are quite a few
> >> people around that would like to use it (e.g. with eric) but don't want
> >> to install a complete C++ development environment just to compile it on
> >> Windows. Any idea how to deal with this situation without causing pains
> >> on either side?
> >>
> >> Sorry no. If qt.io don't want the burden of providing it then I
> >> certainly don't want to take it on. I'm not saying I agree with their
> >> decision, but I'm not in the position of being able to provide a
> >> solution.
> >
> > AIUI, they are still providing source releases.  You're going to continue to support that, right?
>
> Yes, if they are part of the official release. If not then I won't do anything to break things, but they won't be officially supported.
The latest 5.6 beta release doesn't have QtWebKit in its source
release, and from what I've heard, this won't change.

I'm not so worried about Windows myself (I'll probably just stick to
Qt 5.5 there - I don't think updates in Qt itself beyond 5.5 will be
relevant), and I hope Linux distributions will still build PyQt5 with
webkit support (at least those which have Calibre or Eric packaged).

Of course I hope to have QtWebEngine support ready as soon as
possible, but that's a bit more difficult than I originally
anticipated 2 years ago. It's definitely not the claimed drop-in
replacement ;)

Florian

On 25 Jan 2016, at 6:16 am, Florian Bruhin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> * Phil Thompson <[hidden email]> [2016-01-24 12:25:21 +0000]:
> SIP v4
>> ------
>>
>> SIP v4.18 will be released soon. v4.18.x will be the last series of
>> releases (ie. there will be no v4.19). This release is expected to
>> support the generation of Python type hint stub files.
>
> You mentioned you don't know yet whether this will replace XML
> generation or if both will coexist. Any new information on that?

They will coexist in SIP v4. The plan is that the type hints stub files will replace both the XML and QScintilla .api file generation in SIP v5. However I remain to be convinced about aspects of stub files.

Phil

Re: Roadmap, Future Releases etc.

Dmitry Shachnev
Hi Florian,

On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 07:44:52AM +0100, Florian Bruhin wrote:
> The latest 5.6 beta release doesn't have QtWebKit in its source
> release, and from what I've heard, this won't change.

From what I have heard, that *will* change:

http://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/development/2016-January/024252.html

--
Dmitry Shachnev

Re: Roadmap, Future Releases etc.

Elvis Stansvik
> There are a few things going on in the Qt world at the moment which will impact PyQt so I thought it was worth outlining the plans for future releases of Riverbank packages.

Thanks a lot for the updates and your tireless work. It all sounds
great to me, especially that PyQtCharts and PyQtDataVisualizations
will follow and be available under GPL.

I have just one question below.

> SIP v4
> ------
>
> SIP v4.18 will be released soon. v4.18.x will be the last series of releases (ie. there will be no v4.19). This release is expected to support the generation of Python type hint stub files. However it's main purpose is to issue deprecation warnings for any feature used that isn't supported by SIP v5. SIP v4 will be supported for "some time" (at most a year) after the release of SIP v5.
>
> SIP v5
> ------
>
> SIP v5 will be released when ready. It will not be radically different to SIP v4. All deprecated features will be removed. All internal knowledge of PyQt will be removed. It will be able to be installed from PyPi.
>
> PyQt v4
> -------
>
> PyQt v4.12 will be released soon. As Qt v4 is no longer supported, v4.12.x will be the last series of releases. It will support both SIP v4 and SIP v5. It will be supprted for the forseeable future but new releases will be relatively infrequent.
>
> PyQt v5
> -------
>
> PyQt v5.6 will be released soon - depending on the release of Qt v5.6. New features of Qt will be added to PyQt as usual. It will support both SIP v4 and SIP v5. It is possible that new features may depend on SIP v5, but it will still be possible to use SIP v4 with those features disabled. It is planned that the Windows binary installers will no longer include Qt itself. This has become possible because installers for Python and Qt should be available that have been built with compatible compilers. It may even be possible to replace the PyQt installers with downloads from PyPi.

Am I reading you right here that there's a possibility that PyQt5 will
be available from PyPI? If so, that is great news.

Is there active work to get PyQt5 on PyPI, or is it mostly plans/a
future possibility?

Thanks again,
Elvis

On 26 Jan 2016, at 9:24 pm, Elvis Stansvik <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> There are a few things going on in the Qt world at the moment which will impact PyQt so I thought it was worth outlining the plans for future releases of Riverbank packages.
>
> Thanks a lot for the updates and your tireless work. It all sounds
> great to me, especially that PyQtCharts and PyQtDataVisualizations
> will follow and be available under GPL.
>
> I have just one question below.
>

>> SIP v4
>> ------
>>
>> SIP v4.18 will be released soon. v4.18.x will be the last series of releases (ie. there will be no v4.19). This release is expected to support the generation of Python type hint stub files. However it's main purpose is to issue deprecation warnings for any feature used that isn't supported by SIP v5. SIP v4 will be supported for "some time" (at most a year) after the release of SIP v5.
>>
>> SIP v5
>> ------
>>
>> SIP v5 will be released when ready. It will not be radically different to SIP v4. All deprecated features will be removed. All internal knowledge of PyQt will be removed. It will be able to be installed from PyPi.
>>
>> PyQt v4
>> -------
>>
>> PyQt v4.12 will be released soon. As Qt v4 is no longer supported, v4.12.x will be the last series of releases. It will support both SIP v4 and SIP v5. It will be supprted for the forseeable future but new releases will be relatively infrequent.
>>
>> PyQt v5
>> -------
>>
>> PyQt v5.6 will be released soon - depending on the release of Qt v5.6. New features of Qt will be added to PyQt as usual. It will support both SIP v4 and SIP v5. It is possible that new features may depend on SIP v5, but it will still be possible to use SIP v4 with those features disabled. It is planned that the Windows binary installers will no longer include Qt itself. This has become possible because installers for Python and Qt should be available that have been built with compatible compilers. It may even be possible to replace the PyQt installers with downloads from PyPi.
>
> Am I reading you right here that there's a possibility that PyQt5 will
> be available from PyPI? If so, that is great news.
>
> Is there active work to get PyQt5 on PyPI, or is it mostly plans/a
> future possibility?

The latter.

Phil

Re: Roadmap, Future Releases etc.

Elvis Stansvik

> On 26 Jan 2016, at 9:24 pm, Elvis Stansvik <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> There are a few things going on in the Qt world at the moment which will impact PyQt so I thought it was worth outlining the plans for future releases of Riverbank packages.
>>
>> Thanks a lot for the updates and your tireless work. It all sounds
>> great to me, especially that PyQtCharts and PyQtDataVisualizations
>> will follow and be available under GPL.
>>
>> I have just one question below.
>>

>>> SIP v4
>>> ------
>>>
>>> SIP v4.18 will be released soon. v4.18.x will be the last series of releases (ie. there will be no v4.19). This release is expected to support the generation of Python type hint stub files. However it's main purpose is to issue deprecation warnings for any feature used that isn't supported by SIP v5. SIP v4 will be supported for "some time" (at most a year) after the release of SIP v5.
>>>
>>> SIP v5
>>> ------
>>>
>>> SIP v5 will be released when ready. It will not be radically different to SIP v4. All deprecated features will be removed. All internal knowledge of PyQt will be removed. It will be able to be installed from PyPi.
>>>
>>> PyQt v4
>>> -------
>>>
>>> PyQt v4.12 will be released soon. As Qt v4 is no longer supported, v4.12.x will be the last series of releases. It will support both SIP v4 and SIP v5. It will be supprted for the forseeable future but new releases will be relatively infrequent.
>>>
>>> PyQt v5
>>> -------
>>>
>>> PyQt v5.6 will be released soon - depending on the release of Qt v5.6. New features of Qt will be added to PyQt as usual. It will support both SIP v4 and SIP v5. It is possible that new features may depend on SIP v5, but it will still be possible to use SIP v4 with those features disabled. It is planned that the Windows binary installers will no longer include Qt itself. This has become possible because installers for Python and Qt should be available that have been built with compatible compilers. It may even be possible to replace the PyQt installers with downloads from PyPi.
>>
>> Am I reading you right here that there's a possibility that PyQt5 will
>> be available from PyPI? If so, that is great news.
>>
>> Is there active work to get PyQt5 on PyPI, or is it mostly plans/a
>> future possibility?
>
> The latter.

Alright. Good nonetheless.

Elvis

> Phil

Re: Roadmap, Future Releases etc.

aloproti
Hi Phil,

Phil Thompson-5 wrote :
>> PyQt v5.6 will be released soon. It is planned that the Windows binary installers will no longer include Qt itself.

I'm sorry to hear that.
Having Qt included in the Windows binary installers is a huge time-saver on Windows.
Also having its MySQL and PostgreSQL drivers included makes it really easy to deploy or upgrade.

And when a tool is easy to install, it is used by more people.
So, please, please, please, reconsider.

Thanks.

Re: Roadmap, Future Releases etc.

nenad
I would also like if Qt would be included in the Windows binary installers. Is there any chance for that?

Thanks.

On 2 Mar 2016, at 12:53 pm, nenad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I would also like if Qt would be included in the Windows binary installers.
> Is there any chance for that?

Very unlikely.

Phil