Robots for Teaching Python

Zac Miller
It seems as if the Scribbler robots are fairly popular for teaching Python.  I also have to confess that even with just one robot my students are blowing through large numbers of AA batteries.  Has anyone tried any of the more complex robots such as the SRV-1 or the robotic blimp from Surveyor?  http://www.surveyor.com/YARB.html

I also teach middle school and college students in some Geographic Information Systems (GIS) courses.  I'd love to link the programming and GIS students together eventually if I could get a python controlled blimp to take aerial photos that could be georeferenced and used for GIS problems.

-J. Zachary Miller

Re: Robots for Teaching Python

Vern Ceder
On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 10:55 PM, Zac Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:
It seems as if the Scribbler robots are fairly popular for teaching Python.  I also have to confess that even with just one robot my students are blowing through large numbers of AA batteries.  Has anyone tried any of the more complex robots such as the SRV-1 or the robotic blimp from Surveyor?  http://www.surveyor.com/YARB.html

I also teach middle school and college students in some Geographic Information Systems (GIS) courses.  I'd love to link the programming and GIS students together eventually if I could get a python controlled blimp to take aerial photos that could be georeferenced and used for GIS problems.

That strikes me as a really interesting idea. Hack-a-day has published some aerial camera mods... www.hackaday.com ... you might check them out.

Vern

-J. Zachary Miller

This time for sure!
   -Bullwinkle J. Moose
-----------------------------
Vern Ceder, Director of Technology
Canterbury School, 3210 Smith Road, Ft Wayne, IN 46804
[hidden email]; 260-436-0746; FAX: 260-436-5137

The Quick Python Book, 2nd Ed - http://bit.ly/bRsWDW

Re: Robots for Teaching Python

Helene Martin
The blimp idea sounds so fantastic!  I would love to hear about
someone's experience with that.

I have a few big battery chargers (6 AAs) and a bunch of rechargeable
batteries.  The upfront cost is pretty big but it gets amortized
quickly.  Places like Walgreen's sometimes have ridiculously good
sales on chargers + batteries.