Rur-ple is no longer dormant!

André Roberge
Hi everyone,

After a long period during which rur-ple was dormant, its development has restarted.  For those that don't know about rur-ple, it was originally inspired by Guido van Robot (itself inspired by Richard Pattis' Karel the robot) and was my first Python project.  Whereas Guido van Robot (GvR for short) uses a Python-like syntax, rur-ple uses true Python syntax.  (In fact, rur-ple user programs are run by python via exec()).

Rur-ple's development has moved to a new site (http://code.google.com/p/rur-ple/) and it has a corresponding new discussion group (http://groups.google.com/group/rur-ple-discuss).

Among the changes to note:
1) Whereas before only source files (.zip) were distributed, we now have packages (.exe, .deb, .rpm ... with .dmg planned for the near future) to make installation easier.
2) Lessons have been completely translated from English into German, Turkish, Chinese, and partly translated into Spanish.  Other translations are in the works.

Re: Rur-ple is no longer dormant!

kirby urner-4
On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 2:00 PM, Andre Roberge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> After a long period during which rur-ple was dormant, its development has
> restarted.  For those that don't know about rur-ple, it was originally
> inspired by Guido van Robot (itself inspired by Richard Pattis' Karel the
> robot) and was my first Python project.  Whereas Guido van Robot (GvR for
> short) uses a Python-like syntax, rur-ple uses true Python syntax.  (In
> fact, rur-ple user programs are run by python via exec()).
>
> Rur-ple's development has moved to a new site
> (http://code.google.com/p/rur-ple/) and it has a corresponding new
> discussion group (http://groups.google.com/group/rur-ple-discuss).

I'm happy to see all this new activity.

Andre, the following post to the Math Forum has some links to
your curriculum writing re objects and dot notation (what this
post is about):

http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=2026679&tstart=0

Readers might note that I cite the Mathematics for the Digital Age
book again, noting the 2nd edition is in Python 3.x.

> Among the changes to note:
> 1) Whereas before only source files (.zip) were distributed, we now have
> packages (.exe, .deb, .rpm ... with .dmg planned for the near future) to
> make installation easier.
> 2) Lessons have been completely translated from English into German,
> Turkish, Chinese, and partly translated into Spanish.  Other translations
> are in the works.

Impressive!

Kirby

--