Shortening execution time of Python script

Shortening execution time of Python script

David Shi
I have a Python script that automatically downloads zip files containing large datasets from another server and then unzips the files to further process the data.

It has been used as a geoprocessor of ArcGIS Server.

The script works fine when two datasets each has several kilobytes size, but the script stops half way when datasets were about 11,000KBytes.

I think that the execution time is too long and ArcGIS Server just simply killed the process.

What actions can I try to reduce the execution time?

ArcGIS Server only works on the basis of 32 bits and I was told that the maximum memory it can utilise is 4 MBytes.

I should be grateful if someone can make suggestions/recommendations.

Sincerely,

David

Re: Shortening execution time of Python script

Philippe Le Grand
David,

Are you doing this using Python.Net from within an ArcGIS .Net extension? If that is the case, I would suggest you use the standard ArcGIS Python geoprocessor for the task you describe.

Either way, I believe you would have more success getting an answer in the ESRI ArcGIS geoprocessing and scripting forum ( http://forums.esri.com/forums.asp?c=93 )

As far as ArcGIS server goes: it is indeed a 32bit application, but the memory limit is close to 4GiB; There should be no problem handling an 11MiB dataset.

Philippe