Since 5.10 system tray icon cannot be hdden in Windows

Since 5.10 system tray icon cannot be hdden in Windows

Henri Wahl
Hi there,

I already opened a bug report at Qt
(https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-71725) but the problem does not
seem to be with Qt, so I try here. :-)

I found that since PyQt 5.10 a QSystemTrayIcon cannot be hidden. Even if
set hidden via .hide() it still is visible. This only happens in
Windows. The last working version was 5.9.2.
Any idea?

Best regards
Henri

--
Henri Wahl

IT Department
Leibniz-Institut fuer Festkoerper- u.
Werkstoffforschung Dresden

tel: +49 (3 51) 46 59 - 797
email: [hidden email]
https://www.ifw-dresden.de

Nagios status monitor Nagstamon: https://nagstamon.ifw-dresden.de

DHCPv6 server dhcpy6d: https://dhcpy6d.ifw-dresden.de

S/MIME: https://nagstamon.ifw-dresden.de/pubkeys/smime.pem
PGP: https://nagstamon.ifw-dresden.de/pubkeys/pgp.asc

smime.p7s (7K) Download Attachment

Re: Since 5.10 system tray icon cannot be hidden in Windows

Henri Wahl
Hi there again,

the subject is of course "Since 5.10 system tray icon cannot be hidden in Windows"... and is there really nobody else who tries to hide a system tray icon and notices that is not possbile anymore?

Regards

Am 26.11.18 um 13:42 schrieb Henri Wahl:
[...]

Marius Shekow

Hi,

what happens if you use an "old" 5.9 PyQt version where you replace only the Qt DLL files from a newer installation (5.11 for example)? Maybe you're not aware that it is possible to use newer Qt DLLs with older PyQt bindings - of course newer functionality won't be supported.

If hiding the icon works in this case, you know that PyQt is at fault. If it doesn't work, then Qt is at fault. You will have to learn C++ to convince the Qt team to move their arse by building a minimal example then.

Regards!
Marius

Am 03.12.2018 um 11:18 schrieb Henri Wahl:
[...]

Mixed and Augmented Reality Solutions, Fraunhofer FIT
http://www.fit.fraunhofer.de/mars
Tel.: +49 (0)2241 - 14-2148

Re: Since 5.10 system tray icon cannot be hidden in Windows

Henri Wahl
Hi,

> what happens if you use an "old" 5.9 PyQt version where you replace
> only the Qt DLL files from a newer installation (5.11 for example)?
> Maybe you're not aware that it is possible to use newer Qt DLLs with
> older PyQt bindings - of course newer functionality won't be supported.

Sounds spooky but I tried and found, that it also does not work with
PyQt 5.9.2 and Qt 5.11.3 - shall be interpreted as Qt problem.

> If hiding the icon works in this case, you know that PyQt is at fault.
> If it doesn't work, then Qt is at fault. You will have to learn C++ to
> convince the Qt team to move their arse by building a minimal example
> then.

This is bad news.

Thanks anyway for the hint!

--
Henri Wahl

IT Department
Leibniz-Institut fuer Festkoerper- u.
Werkstoffforschung Dresden

tel: +49 (3 51) 46 59 - 797
email: [hidden email]
https://www.ifw-dresden.de

Nagios status monitor Nagstamon: https://nagstamon.ifw-dresden.de

DHCPv6 server dhcpy6d: https://dhcpy6d.ifw-dresden.de

S/MIME: https://nagstamon.ifw-dresden.de/pubkeys/smime.pem
PGP: https://nagstamon.ifw-dresden.de/pubkeys/pgp.asc

smime.p7s (7K) Download Attachment

Re: Since 5.10 system tray icon cannot be hidden in Windows

Henri Wahl
Hi again,

> If it doesn't work, then Qt is at fault. You will have to learn C++ to
> convince the Qt team to move their arse by building a minimal example then.

The funny thing is that they already provided an example which is
claimed to WORK - see
https://bugreports.qt.io/secure/attachment/78098/qtbug71725.zip for
reference.

So I am confused about where the problem actually lies.

--
Henri Wahl

IT Department

Leibniz-Institut für Festkörper- und Werkstoffforschung Dresden e.V.
Helmholtzstr. 20, 01069 Dresden, Germany

tel: +49 (3 51) 46 59 - 797
email: [hidden email]
https://www.ifw-dresden.de

Nagios status monitor Nagstamon: https://nagstamon.ifw-dresden.de

DHCPv6 server dhcpy6d: https://dhcpy6d.ifw-dresden.de

S/MIME: https://nagstamon.ifw-dresden.de/pubkeys/smime.pem
PGP: https://nagstamon.ifw-dresden.de/pubkeys/pgp.asc

0xFAC1C12483E6CEC2.asc (3K) Download Attachment
smime.p7s (7K) Download Attachment