Speaker for February; Was: Update baypiggies.net please

Speaker for February; Was: Update baypiggies.net please

Glen Jarvis
Tony,

Do we still not have any speakers for Thursday?  Simeon had a talk he was going to give at PyCon but didn't. Was he available?

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 10:38 PM, Tony Cappellini <[hidden email]> wrote:
That's because we still don't have a presenter for Feb,

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 10:27 PM, Glen Jarvis <[hidden email]> wrote:
We don't have our February meeting posted on BayPIGgies.net. In fact, we didn't get or January talk there either.

Things which matter most must never be at the mercy of things which matter least.

-- Goethe

Things which matter most must never be at the mercy of things which matter least.

-- Goethe

Re: Speaker for February; Was: Update baypiggies.net please

Simeon Franklin
I volunteered - unless I hear differently I'll be talking Thursday
night. My topic is "Data Visualization with Pyprocessing". I don't
believe we have a newbie nugget lined up so I suggest we offer the
first few minutes for lightning talks - If anybody has a tidbit, a
snippet, a hard problem or anything Python related they want to share
in 3 minutes or less - come prepared to talk.

I volunteered reluctantly because I'm teaching a class all day
Thursday and will be already kind of talked out :) So come prepared to
help me out!

-regards
Simeon Franklin

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 9:13 PM, Glen Jarvis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Tony,
>
> Do we still not have any speakers for Thursday?  Simeon had a talk he was
> going to give at PyCon but didn't. Was he available?

> On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 10:38 PM, Tony Cappellini <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> That's because we still don't have a presenter for Feb,
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 10:27 PM, Glen Jarvis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> We don't have our February meeting posted on BayPIGgies.net. In fact, we
>>> didn't get or January talk there either.

>>> --
>>> Things which matter most must never be at the mercy of things which
>>> matter least.
>>>
>>> -- Goethe

> Things which matter most must never be at the mercy of things which matter
> least.
>
> -- Goethe

Re: Speaker for February; Was: Update baypiggies.net please

Chen-Shan Chin
Hi, All:

Any one will be interested in some of the recent ipython hacks I am playing around?
See some discussion here (https://github.com/ipython/ipython/pull/1386, and some examples at https://github.com/cschin/IPython-Notebook---d3.js-mashup/tree/master/images)

--Jason Chin

On Feb 21, 2012, at 9:22 PM, Simeon Franklin wrote:

> I volunteered - unless I hear differently I'll be talking Thursday
> night. My topic is "Data Visualization with Pyprocessing". I don't
> believe we have a newbie nugget lined up so I suggest we offer the
> first few minutes for lightning talks - If anybody has a tidbit, a
> snippet, a hard problem or anything Python related they want to share
> in 3 minutes or less - come prepared to talk.
>
> I volunteered reluctantly because I'm teaching a class all day
> Thursday and will be already kind of talked out :) So come prepared to
> help me out!
>
> -regards
> Simeon Franklin
>

> On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 9:13 PM, Glen Jarvis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Tony,
>>
>> Do we still not have any speakers for Thursday?  Simeon had a talk he was
>> going to give at PyCon but didn't. Was he available?

>> On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 10:38 PM, Tony Cappellini <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> That's because we still don't have a presenter for Feb,

>> --
>> Things which matter most must never be at the mercy of things which matter
>> least.
>>
>> -- Goethe

Re: Speaker for February; Was: Update baypiggies.net please

jim stockford

Great! And thanks!

On Tue, 2012-02-21 at 21:22 -0800, Simeon Franklin wrote:

> I volunteered - unless I hear differently I'll be talking Thursday
> night. My topic is "Data Visualization with Pyprocessing". I don't
> believe we have a newbie nugget lined up so I suggest we offer the
> first few minutes for lightning talks - If anybody has a tidbit, a
> snippet, a hard problem or anything Python related they want to share
> in 3 minutes or less - come prepared to talk.
>
> I volunteered reluctantly because I'm teaching a class all day
> Thursday and will be already kind of talked out :) So come prepared to
> help me out!
>
> -regards
> Simeon Franklin
>

> On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 9:13 PM, Glen Jarvis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Tony,
> >
> > Do we still not have any speakers for Thursday?  Simeon had a talk he was
> > going to give at PyCon but didn't. Was he available?

> > On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 10:38 PM, Tony Cappellini <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> That's because we still don't have a presenter for Feb,

> > --
> > Things which matter most must never be at the mercy of things which matter
> > least.
> >
> > -- Goethe

Re: Speaker for February; Was: Update baypiggies.net please

jim-258

oh: if you can, send a brief description and
maybe bio info. If you can't, we'll fake it on
the web site.
More thanks,
jim

On Tue, 2012-02-21 at 21:22 -0800, Simeon Franklin wrote:

> I volunteered - unless I hear differently I'll be talking Thursday
> night. My topic is "Data Visualization with Pyprocessing". I don't
> believe we have a newbie nugget lined up so I suggest we offer the
> first few minutes for lightning talks - If anybody has a tidbit, a
> snippet, a hard problem or anything Python related they want to share
> in 3 minutes or less - come prepared to talk.
>
> I volunteered reluctantly because I'm teaching a class all day
> Thursday and will be already kind of talked out :) So come prepared to
> help me out!
>
> -regards
> Simeon Franklin
>

> On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 9:13 PM, Glen Jarvis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Tony,
> >
> > Do we still not have any speakers for Thursday?  Simeon had a talk he was
> > going to give at PyCon but didn't. Was he available?

> > On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 10:38 PM, Tony Cappellini <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> That's because we still don't have a presenter for Feb,

> > --
> > Things which matter most must never be at the mercy of things which matter
> > least.
> >
> > -- Goethe

Re: Speaker for February; Was: Update baypiggies.net please

Glen Jarvis
Awesome, Simeon! You rock!

Can we update the website? Do you have a few words to say to explain the talk?

Glen

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 9:22 PM, Simeon Franklin <[hidden email]> wrote:
I volunteered - unless I hear differently I'll be talking Thursday
night. My topic is "Data Visualization with Pyprocessing". I don't
believe we have a newbie nugget lined up so I suggest we offer the
first few minutes for lightning talks - If anybody has a tidbit, a
snippet, a hard problem or anything Python related they want to share
in 3 minutes or less - come prepared to talk.

I volunteered reluctantly because I'm teaching a class all day
Thursday and will be already kind of talked out :) So come prepared to
help me out!

-regards
Simeon Franklin

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 9:13 PM, Glen Jarvis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Tony,
>
> Do we still not have any speakers for Thursday?  Simeon had a talk he was
> going to give at PyCon but didn't. Was he available?

> On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 10:38 PM, Tony Cappellini <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> That's because we still don't have a presenter for Feb,
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 10:27 PM, Glen Jarvis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> We don't have our February meeting posted on BayPIGgies.net. In fact, we
>>> didn't get or January talk there either.

>>> --
>>> Things which matter most must never be at the mercy of things which
>>> matter least.
>>>
>>> -- Goethe

> Things which matter most must never be at the mercy of things which matter
> least.
>
> -- Goethe

Things which matter most must never be at the mercy of things which matter least.

-- Goethe

Re: Speaker for February; Was: Update baypiggies.net please

William Deegan-2
Website updated to at least have title and this months date.

Will the nuggets be lightning talks?
-Bill

On Feb 21, 2012, at 10:17 PM, jim wrote:

> oh: if you can, send a brief description and
> maybe bio info. If you can't, we'll fake it on
> the web site.
> More thanks,
> jim
>

> On Tue, 2012-02-21 at 21:22 -0800, Simeon Franklin wrote:
>> I volunteered - unless I hear differently I'll be talking Thursday
>> night. My topic is "Data Visualization with Pyprocessing". I don't
>> believe we have a newbie nugget lined up so I suggest we offer the
>> first few minutes for lightning talks - If anybody has a tidbit, a
>> snippet, a hard problem or anything Python related they want to share
>> in 3 minutes or less - come prepared to talk.
>>
>> I volunteered reluctantly because I'm teaching a class all day
>> Thursday and will be already kind of talked out :) So come prepared to
>> help me out!
>>
>> -regards
>> Simeon Franklin
>>

>> On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 9:13 PM, Glen Jarvis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Tony,
>>>
>>> Do we still not have any speakers for Thursday?  Simeon had a talk he was
>>> going to give at PyCon but didn't. Was he available?

>>> --
>>> Things which matter most must never be at the mercy of things which matter
>>> least.
>>>
>>> -- Goethe

Re: Speaker for February; Was: Update baypiggies.net please

Simeon Franklin
+1

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 9:55 PM, Chen-Shan Chin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi, All:
>
> Any one will be interested in some of the recent ipython hacks I am playing around?
> See some discussion here (https://github.com/ipython/ipython/pull/1386, and some examples at https://github.com/cschin/IPython-Notebook---d3.js-mashup/tree/master/images)
>
> --Jason Chin

Re: Speaker for February; Was: Update baypiggies.net please

Simeon Franklin
Bill -

I appreciate your work to maintain the baypiggies site and apologize
for not being quicker with the talk description, etc. If you have time
to update again (and for the list):

My talk is titled "Data Visualization with Pyprocessing.

I aim to briefly cover the concept of data visualisations with a
couple of inspiring examples, describe the popular data visualization
tool "Processing" and introduce pyprocessing, a port of the Processing
drawing API to Python, by way of a couple of example programs I've
written. I'll share the lessons I've learned so far in creating data
visualizations and discuss some drawbacks/workarounds specific to
pyprocessing.

We have at least one lighting talk volunteer (Chen-Shan Chin on
IPython hacks) and more would be good!

I am a long time software developer, a long time Baypiggy, and
recently became a full-time Python instructor for Marakana. I like to
fool around with Python in my spare time :)

-regards
Simeon Franklin

Re: Speaker for February; Was: Update baypiggies.net please

William Deegan-2
Simeon,

Done.
Let me know if more edits are needed.

-Bill
On Feb 22, 2012, at 11:04 AM, Simeon Franklin wrote:

> Bill -
>
> I appreciate your work to maintain the baypiggies site and apologize
> for not being quicker with the talk description, etc. If you have time
> to update again (and for the list):
>
> My talk is titled "Data Visualization with Pyprocessing.
>
> I aim to briefly cover the concept of data visualisations with a
> couple of inspiring examples, describe the popular data visualization
> tool "Processing" and introduce pyprocessing, a port of the Processing
> drawing API to Python, by way of a couple of example programs I've
> written. I'll share the lessons I've learned so far in creating data
> visualizations and discuss some drawbacks/workarounds specific to
> pyprocessing.
>
> We have at least one lighting talk volunteer (Chen-Shan Chin on
> IPython hacks) and more would be good!
>
> I am a long time software developer, a long time Baypiggy, and
> recently became a full-time Python instructor for Marakana. I like to
> fool around with Python in my spare time :)
>
> -regards
> Simeon Franklin

Re: Speaker for February; Was: Update baypiggies.net please

jim-258

As preliminary lightning talks before Simeon begins?
Yes. Please confirm asap.
with thanks,
jim

On Tue, 2012-02-21 at 21:55 -0800, Chen-Shan Chin wrote:

> Hi, All:
>
> Any one will be interested in some of the recent ipython hacks I am playing around?
> See some discussion here (https://github.com/ipython/ipython/pull/1386, and some examples at https://github.com/cschin/IPython-Notebook---d3.js-mashup/tree/master/images)
>
> --Jason Chin
>

> On Feb 21, 2012, at 9:22 PM, Simeon Franklin wrote:
>
> > I volunteered - unless I hear differently I'll be talking Thursday
> > night. My topic is "Data Visualization with Pyprocessing". I don't
> > believe we have a newbie nugget lined up so I suggest we offer the
> > first few minutes for lightning talks - If anybody has a tidbit, a
> > snippet, a hard problem or anything Python related they want to share
> > in 3 minutes or less - come prepared to talk.
> >
> > I volunteered reluctantly because I'm teaching a class all day
> > Thursday and will be already kind of talked out :) So come prepared to
> > help me out!
> >
> > -regards
> > Simeon Franklin
> >

> > On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 9:13 PM, Glen Jarvis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> Tony,
> >>
> >> Do we still not have any speakers for Thursday?  Simeon had a talk he was
> >> going to give at PyCon but didn't. Was he available?

> >> --
> >> Things which matter most must never be at the mercy of things which matter
> >> least.
> >>
> >> -- Goethe

Re: Speaker for February; Was: Update baypiggies.net please

William Deegan-2
Jim,

Is the question whether the lightning talks are first? or If Chen-Shan Chin can do one?

-Bill

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 12:49 PM, jim <[hidden email]> wrote:

As preliminary lightning talks before Simeon begins?
Yes. Please confirm asap.
with thanks,
jim

On Tue, 2012-02-21 at 21:55 -0800, Chen-Shan Chin wrote:
> Hi, All:
>
> Any one will be interested in some of the recent ipython hacks I am playing around?
> See some discussion here (https://github.com/ipython/ipython/pull/1386, and some examples at https://github.com/cschin/IPython-Notebook---d3.js-mashup/tree/master/images)
>
> --Jason Chin
>

> On Feb 21, 2012, at 9:22 PM, Simeon Franklin wrote:
>
> > I volunteered - unless I hear differently I'll be talking Thursday
> > night. My topic is "Data Visualization with Pyprocessing". I don't
> > believe we have a newbie nugget lined up so I suggest we offer the
> > first few minutes for lightning talks - If anybody has a tidbit, a
> > snippet, a hard problem or anything Python related they want to share
> > in 3 minutes or less - come prepared to talk.
> >
> > I volunteered reluctantly because I'm teaching a class all day
> > Thursday and will be already kind of talked out :) So come prepared to
> > help me out!
> >
> > -regards
> > Simeon Franklin
> >

> > On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 9:13 PM, Glen Jarvis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> Tony,
> >>
> >> Do we still not have any speakers for Thursday?  Simeon had a talk he was
> >> going to give at PyCon but didn't. Was he available?

> >> --
> >> Things which matter most must never be at the mercy of things which matter
> >> least.
> >>
> >> -- Goethe

Re: Speaker for February; Was: Update baypiggies.net please

Chen-Shan Chin
yes, a brief lightening talk. 5 minute?

--Jason

On Feb 22, 2012, at 12:49 PM, jim wrote:

> As preliminary lightning talks before Simeon begins?
> Yes. Please confirm asap.
> with thanks,
> jim
>

> On Tue, 2012-02-21 at 21:55 -0800, Chen-Shan Chin wrote:
>> Hi, All:
>>
>> Any one will be interested in some of the recent ipython hacks I am playing around?
>> See some discussion here (https://github.com/ipython/ipython/pull/1386, and some examples at https://github.com/cschin/IPython-Notebook---d3.js-mashup/tree/master/images)
>>
>> --Jason Chin
>>

>> On Feb 21, 2012, at 9:22 PM, Simeon Franklin wrote:
>>
>>> I volunteered - unless I hear differently I'll be talking Thursday
>>> night. My topic is "Data Visualization with Pyprocessing". I don't
>>> believe we have a newbie nugget lined up so I suggest we offer the
>>> first few minutes for lightning talks - If anybody has a tidbit, a
>>> snippet, a hard problem or anything Python related they want to share
>>> in 3 minutes or less - come prepared to talk.
>>>
>>> I volunteered reluctantly because I'm teaching a class all day
>>> Thursday and will be already kind of talked out :) So come prepared to
>>> help me out!
>>>
>>> -regards
>>> Simeon Franklin

Re: Speaker for February; Was: Update baypiggies.net please

jim-258

    Will Chen-Shan do one. If so, it'll come first, like
a newbie nugget.

On Wed, 2012-02-22 at 14:58 -0800, William Deegan wrote:

> [...]
>         things which matter
>         > >> least.
>         > >>
>         > >> -- Goethe
>         > >>
>         > >> _______________________________________________
>         > >> Baypiggies mailing list
>         > >> [hidden email]
>         > >> To change your subscription options or unsubscribe:
>         > > _______________________________________________
>         > > Baypiggies mailing list
>         > > [hidden email]
>         > > To change your subscription options or unsubscribe:
>         >
>         > _______________________________________________
>         > Baypiggies mailing list
>         > [hidden email]
>         > To change your subscription options or unsubscribe:

Re: Speaker for February; Was: Update baypiggies.net please

Thanks. What topic?

On Wed, 2012-02-22 at 15:21 -0800, Chen-Shan Chin wrote:

> yes, a brief lightening talk. 5 minute?
>
> --Jason
>

> On Feb 22, 2012, at 12:49 PM, jim wrote:
>

> > As preliminary lightning talks before Simeon begins?
> > Yes. Please confirm asap.
> > with thanks,
> > jim
> >

> > On Tue, 2012-02-21 at 21:55 -0800, Chen-Shan Chin wrote:
> >> Hi, All:
> >>
> >> Any one will be interested in some of the recent ipython hacks I am playing around?
> >> See some discussion here (https://github.com/ipython/ipython/pull/1386, and some examples at https://github.com/cschin/IPython-Notebook---d3.js-mashup/tree/master/images)
> >>
> >> --Jason Chin

Re: Speaker for February; Was: Update baypiggies.net please

Chen-Shan Chin
Hacking ipython notebook for developing interactive visualization

I will just quick go over ipython notebook and show some examples.   I can go first or last. Either way is fine.

--Jason

On Feb 22, 2012, at 9:18 PM, jim wrote:

> Thanks. What topic?
>

> On Wed, 2012-02-22 at 15:21 -0800, Chen-Shan Chin wrote:
>> yes, a brief lightening talk. 5 minute?
>>
>> --Jason

Re: Speaker for February; Was: Update baypiggies.net please

jim stockford

More and more thanks.

What name should I use? Chen-Shan Chin or Jason ...?

On Wed, 2012-02-22 at 21:32 -0800, Chen-Shan Chin wrote:

> Hacking ipython notebook for developing interactive visualization
>
> I will just quick go over ipython notebook and show some examples.   I can go first or last. Either way is fine.
>
> --Jason
>

> On Feb 22, 2012, at 9:18 PM, jim wrote:
>

> > Thanks. What topic?
> >

> > On Wed, 2012-02-22 at 15:21 -0800, Chen-Shan Chin wrote:
> >> yes, a brief lightening talk. 5 minute?
> >>
> >> --Jason

Re: Speaker for February; Was: Update baypiggies.net please

Chen-Shan Chin
I go by Jason these days.

--Jason

On Feb 22, 2012, at 9:47 PM, jim wrote:

> More and more thanks.
>
> What name should I use? Chen-Shan Chin or Jason ...?
>

> On Wed, 2012-02-22 at 21:32 -0800, Chen-Shan Chin wrote:
>> Hacking ipython notebook for developing interactive visualization
>>
>> I will just quick go over ipython notebook and show some examples.   I can go first or last. Either way is fine.
>>
>> --Jason
>>

>> On Feb 22, 2012, at 9:18 PM, jim wrote:
>>

>>> Thanks. What topic?

Re: Speaker for February; Was: Update baypiggies.net please

jim stockford

Thanks lots, Jason.

On Wed, 2012-02-22 at 21:52 -0800, Chen-Shan Chin wrote:

> I go by Jason these days.
>
> --Jason
>

> On Feb 22, 2012, at 9:47 PM, jim wrote:
>

> > More and more thanks.
> >
> > What name should I use? Chen-Shan Chin or Jason ...?
> >

> > On Wed, 2012-02-22 at 21:32 -0800, Chen-Shan Chin wrote:
> >> Hacking ipython notebook for developing interactive visualization
> >>
> >> I will just quick go over ipython notebook and show some examples.   I can go first or last. Either way is fine.
> >>
> >> --Jason

Re: Speaker for February; Was: Update baypiggies.net please

William Deegan-2
Name changed to Jason on baypiggies website.
-Bill