Status of 3.2 release blockers.

Carlton Gibson-3
Hi all,

Happy New Year!

Time to begin release process for the next major release, Django 3.2!

Reference: https://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/Version3.2Roadmap

The 3.2 feature freeze is scheduled for January 14.
We'll probably release the alpha that day.

We have a few larger patches we want to finish reviewing:

https://github.com/django/django/pull/11929 - Fixed #26167 -- Added support for functional indexes.
https://github.com/django/django/pull/13618 - Fixed 30360 -- Support rotation of secret keys.
https://github.com/django/django/pull/13435 - Fixed #32018 -- Extracted admin colors into CSS variables.
https://github.com/django/django/pull/11026 - Fixed #29010, Fixed #29138 -- Added limit_choices_to and to_field support to autocomplete fields.

We'll update this thread for any schedule changes.

Kind regards,
Carlton

Re: Status of 3.2 release blockers.

Florian Apolloner
Hi Carlton,

I'd like to put
https://github.com/django/django/pull/12553
https://github.com/django/django/pull/13800

onto this list as well. They are imo basically finished and I'd love reviews from our fellows. Let me know if I can help somewhere else in exchange ;)

Cheers,
Florian

On Monday, January 4, 2021 at 10:56:42 AM UTC+1 [hidden email] wrote:
[...]

Hey Florian.

OK +1, no problem.

> Let me know if I can help somewhere else in exchange ;)

Super. <evil grin />

On Wednesday, 6 January 2021 at 10:31:54 UTC+1 [hidden email] wrote:
Hi Carlton,

I'd like to put

[...]

Nick Pope
Hi Carlton,

Just wondering if you're still willing to accept the following for 3.2:
  • https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/16117
  • https://github.com/django/django/pull/13532
Adam marked it "ready for checkin" about 6 weeks ago.

Cheers,

Nick

On Wednesday, 6 January 2021 at 10:04:18 UTC [hidden email] wrote:
Hey Florian.

OK +1, no problem.

> Let me know if I can help somewhere else in exchange ;)

Super. <evil grin />

On Wednesday, 6 January 2021 at 10:31:54 UTC+1 [hidden email] wrote:
Hi Carlton,

I'd like to put

onto this list as well. They are imo basically finished and I'd love reviews from our fellows. Let me know if I can help somewhere else in exchange ;)

Cheers,
Florian

On Monday, January 4, 2021 at 10:56:42 AM UTC+1 [hidden email] wrote:
Hi all,

Happy New Year!

Time to begin release process for the next major release, Django 3.2!

The 3.2 feature freeze is scheduled for January 14.
We'll probably release the alpha that day.

We have a few larger patches we want to finish reviewing:

https://github.com/django/django/pull/11929 - Fixed #26167 -- Added support for functional indexes.
https://github.com/django/django/pull/13618 - Fixed 30360 -- Support rotation of secret keys.
https://github.com/django/django/pull/13435 - Fixed #32018 -- Extracted admin colors into CSS variables.
https://github.com/django/django/pull/11026 - Fixed #29010, Fixed #29138 -- Added limit_choices_to and to_field support to autocomplete fields.

We'll update this thread for any schedule changes.

Kind regards,
Carlton

Re: Status of 3.2 release blockers.

Carlton Gibson-3
Hey Nick.

Yes, good. 😀 Issue is capacity to look at it. If I can get there I will.

Kind Regards,

Carlton

On Wednesday, 6 January 2021 at 16:01:15 UTC+1 Nick Pope wrote:
Hi Carlton,

Just wondering if you're still willing to accept the following for 3.2:

Cheers,

Nick

On Wednesday, 6 January 2021 at 10:04:18 UTC [hidden email] wrote:
Hey Florian.

OK +1, no problem.

> Let me know if I can help somewhere else in exchange ;)

Super. <evil grin />

On Wednesday, 6 January 2021 at 10:31:54 UTC+1 [hidden email] wrote:
Hi Carlton,

I'd like to put

onto this list as well. They are imo basically finished and I'd love reviews from our fellows. Let me know if I can help somewhere else in exchange ;)

Cheers,
Florian

On Monday, January 4, 2021 at 10:56:42 AM UTC+1 [hidden email] wrote:
Hi all,

Happy New Year!

Time to begin release process for the next major release, Django 3.2!

The 3.2 feature freeze is scheduled for January 14.
We'll probably release the alpha that day.

We have a few larger patches we want to finish reviewing:

https://github.com/django/django/pull/11929 - Fixed #26167 -- Added support for functional indexes.
https://github.com/django/django/pull/13618 - Fixed 30360 -- Support rotation of secret keys.
https://github.com/django/django/pull/13435 - Fixed #32018 -- Extracted admin colors into CSS variables.
https://github.com/django/django/pull/11026 - Fixed #29010, Fixed #29138 -- Added limit_choices_to and to_field support to autocomplete fields.

We'll update this thread for any schedule changes.

Kind regards,
Carlton

Re: Status of 3.2 release blockers.

Carlton Gibson-3
TBH I see Adam has given it the All clear. There should be some way that enough of that adds up to it just getting merged (but I REALLY don't have capacity to think about THAT this week 😀)

It's on the list.

On Wednesday, 6 January 2021 at 16:46:37 UTC+1 Carlton Gibson wrote:
Hey Nick.

Yes, good. 😀 Issue is capacity to look at it. If I can get there I will.

Kind Regards,

Carlton

On Wednesday, 6 January 2021 at 16:01:15 UTC+1 Nick Pope wrote:
Hi Carlton,

Just wondering if you're still willing to accept the following for 3.2:

Cheers,

Nick

On Wednesday, 6 January 2021 at 10:04:18 UTC [hidden email] wrote:
Hey Florian.

OK +1, no problem.

> Let me know if I can help somewhere else in exchange ;)

Super. <evil grin />

On Wednesday, 6 January 2021 at 10:31:54 UTC+1 [hidden email] wrote:
Hi Carlton,

I'd like to put

onto this list as well. They are imo basically finished and I'd love reviews from our fellows. Let me know if I can help somewhere else in exchange ;)

Cheers,
Florian

On Monday, January 4, 2021 at 10:56:42 AM UTC+1 [hidden email] wrote:
Hi all,

Happy New Year!

Time to begin release process for the next major release, Django 3.2!

The 3.2 feature freeze is scheduled for January 14.
We'll probably release the alpha that day.

We have a few larger patches we want to finish reviewing:

https://github.com/django/django/pull/11929 - Fixed #26167 -- Added support for functional indexes.
https://github.com/django/django/pull/13618 - Fixed 30360 -- Support rotation of secret keys.
https://github.com/django/django/pull/13435 - Fixed #32018 -- Extracted admin colors into CSS variables.
https://github.com/django/django/pull/11026 - Fixed #29010, Fixed #29138 -- Added limit_choices_to and to_field support to autocomplete fields.

We'll update this thread for any schedule changes.

Kind regards,
Carlton

Re: Status of 3.2 release blockers.

Carlton Gibson-3
Hi all.

Paul Ganssle has followed up his earlier PoC PR, and the previous discussion, with a smaller PR in order to allow using zoneinfo timezones without an error:

Add support for non-pytz zones
https://github.com/django/django/pull/13877

The idea is to target 3.2 for this. (Recall for 4.0 we'll switch to zoneinfo, allowing folks to opt-in to the pytz compatibility shim, if needed.)

First glance, it looks OK, great even (absolutely as expected from Paul).

I don't have capacity to properly sit down with it before the feature freeze (due Thursday) though.
So if it were just me, I'd have to say it's too hot, too close to the deadline, and we should just target 4.0

However, maybe others, and the Technical Board who have the authority to specify, think that this is something we should take the extra time if needed and make sure we get in for 3.2?
(Any extra eyes reviewing would help in that case.)

As per Aymeric's point on the previous discussion, it's likely this doesn't affect most of our users.
Paul's concern is that Django incompatibility (along with Pandas he mentioned in discussion) is blocking adoption throughout the community.
That's not necessarily our problem, but maybe this is a small enough change that we should be flexible here?
With 3.2 being the next LTS, it'll be around for a while (which is relevant I think).

Can I ask for opinions please? Again, the option is to say that we'll squeeze this in if review is fine.
The feature freeze isn't cast in stone, but we do have to draw the line somewhere.
This one is sufficiently interesting that Mariusz and I don't want to just decide with consultation.

Thanks.

Kind Regards,

Carlton

On Monday, 4 January 2021 at 10:56:42 UTC+1 Carlton Gibson wrote:
[...]

Paul Ganssle

Yeah, sorry I didn't get around to this until so close to the deadline. December was a lot crazier for me than I had hoped. ☹

One thing I'll note is that this PR to allow using zoneinfo timezones is mostly just adding tests. The substantive changes to the codebase are very light, and there should be no behavioral change for users of pytz or current users of other time zone providers (assuming such people exist). There appears to be a nominal attempt to support non-pytz zones in django.utils.timezones, so possibly this PR just improves support that was already intended to be present in the first place.

I do think it would be good to make it possible for people to do some conversion over ahead of time if possible, particularly since no deprecation warnings will be issued prior to the change away from pytz.

Best,
Paul

On 1/12/21 10:12 AM, Carlton Gibson wrote:
[...]

Adam Johnson-2
I think it's worth merging into 3.2. The change is quite small, the potential benefits are quite large, and some users live LTS to LTS so could be left without an option for a long time.

I've left some review comments on the PR.

On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 at 15:29, Paul Ganssle <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Paolo Melchiorre
I agree with Adam.

I've also left a small comment on the PR.

Paolo

--
Paolo Melchiorre

https://www.paulox.net

Re: Status of 3.2 release blockers.

Paul Ganssle
As we come closer to the deadline, I thought I'd like to bring attention to the one aspect of the zoneinfo-support PR that I am least certain about but which hasn't gotten much discussion, detailed here: https://github.com/django/django/pull/13877#issuecomment-758769902

Note: I don't think anything I'm talking about in this e-mail needs to block the existing PR!

The tl;dr is that `timezone.make_aware` and some date truncation logic both take an `is_dst` parameter, which duplicates pytz's behavior. The current behavior as of 3.1 is that `is_dst` is a no-op unless you are using pytz. In the current version of the PR, `is_dst` is a no-op unless you are using pytz, but particularly in the case of date truncation logic, that may defeat some peoples' expectations. The options I see are:

1. Implement is_dst mostly like it's implemented in pytz-deprecation-shim, where explicitly passing `is_dst=None` will raise an exception on ambiguous and imaginary times, leaving it blank is a no-op, and specifying `True` or `False` sets the `fold` parameter to match what `pytz` would give you. If people are already able to use `make_aware` with non-pytz zones, this may introduce new exceptions into their code, which would not necessarily be backwards compatible. Depending on how broken support for non-pytz zones is "on the ground", this may not matter at all, since making theoretically backwards-incompatible changes to an otherwise broken function is not really backwards incompatible...

2. Implement is_dst, but require opt-in for the error-raising behavior: `is_dst=None` would raise errors only in the `pytz` case, `is_dst='error'` would always raise errors, and `is_dst=True` and `is_dst=False` would set the `fold` parameter to match what `pytz` would give you. This should be effectively backwards compatible, since leaving `is_dst` unspecified would keep the behavior as-is and specifying True/False with a non-pytz zone never worked anyway (and as such might be considered a bug anyway).

3. Leave as-is. External users who want to replicate `is_dst`-style behavior can use wrapper functions or subclasses to accomplish this anyway. I think the most annoying one to replicate would be date truncation logic. People who want truncation with `is_dst` support would either want to wrap the output of their `.annotate` calls (e.g. `model = DTModel.objects.annotate(truncated_start=TruncDay('start_datetime')).get(); model.truncated_start = apply_is_dst(model.truncated_start, is_dst=True)`), or they would want to create a parallel truncation hierarchy subclassing from TruncBase, where is_dst support is added in convert_value (or TruncBase is monkey-patched to this effect).

4. Leave `make_aware` as is, but add `is_dst` support into TruncBase.convert_value, similar to what I'm doing in `django.forms.utils.from_current_timezone` — in that case we're just raising exceptions on error and not trying to re-implement `is_dst` in terms of `fold`, which is trickier than you'd think, but the implementation in pytz_deprecation_shim is pretty well-tested, so I am not too worried about it.

Let me know what y'all want to do. I can also do this as a separate PR, as I think the "support zoneinfo" PR works as a standalone.

One thing to consider is that even if we don't do this for 3.2, if 4.0 comes with a "hard switch" to zoneinfo, we'll need to decide what the behavior of `is_dst` is going to be, and what the future if `is_dst` looks like. One advantage that pytz_deprecation_shim has over Django is that it's replicating pytz's implementation, so it already needs a similar exception hierarchy to pytz's. Django would need to introduce its own exception hierarchy for "what happens when you try and create a datetime that is ambiguous or doesn't exist." There's also the problem that not all folds or gaps are created by DST transitions, and it's not entirely clear what `is_dst` should do in that case. Probably the easiest thing is to leave it in place and make it well-defined, or to deprecate `is_dst` in favor of a new argument like `preferred_fold` that uses the semantics of folds instead of the semantics of DST.

Best,
Paul

On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 12:48 PM Paolo Melchiorre <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Happy New Year!
>>>
>>> Time to begin release process for the next major release, Django 3.2!
>>>
>>> Reference: https://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/Version3.2Roadmap
>>>
>>> The 3.2 feature freeze is scheduled for January 14.
>>> We'll probably release the alpha that day.
>>>
>>> We have a few larger patches we want to finish reviewing:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/django/django/pull/11929 - Fixed #26167 -- Added support for functional indexes.
>>> https://github.com/django/django/pull/13618 - Fixed 30360 -- Support rotation of secret keys.
>>> https://github.com/django/django/pull/13435 - Fixed #32018 -- Extracted admin colors into CSS variables.
>>> https://github.com/django/django/pull/11026 - Fixed #29010, Fixed #29138 -- Added limit_choices_to and to_field support to autocomplete fields.
>>>
>>> We'll update this thread for any schedule changes.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for this follow up. To give context, I think there’s enough support (here and on the PR) to say, OK let’s take it.

Mariusz and I have two others on the list, which we’ll get in tomorrow. I’ll then branch stable/3.2.x (and we can bootstrap Django 4.0 and continue main line development.)

I’ll finish review on your PR, merge and backport to stable/3.2.x, looking to do 3.2a1 on Tuesday.

That means we have a few days to think about whether we can do anything for is_dst, for 3.2.

On an initial read (but I’m getting tired now) I’d go for your Option 3. Folks opting to use zoneinfo in Django 3.2 are (by definition) in the “I know what I’m up to” club and can implement wrappers if they want.

We have a bit of time to discuss 4.0 but I’m inclined towards your “Probably the easiest thing...” (We’ll offer the shim as an option but folds are the new preferred way right? Let’s have them, I’d think.

If others have capacity to put their brains to this, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your input here Paul!