Quantcast

Status of ipython.el and relationship with python-mode.el

Status of ipython.el and relationship with python-mode.el

rosoloum
In reading this thread in StackOverflow:
"IPython Emacs Integration": http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8226493/ipython-emacs-integration

I learned that ipython.el is known to be out of date, and that the IPython community is working on a fix. More specifically the accepted answer in StackOverflow points to this other thread in github:
"Emacs freezes when tab is hit in ipython with latest python-mode": https://github.com/ipython/ipython/pull/1015

It looks like there was some substantial activity in that github thread, but I couldn't find any references to the fixes mentioned in the thread in the mailing list archives for users or devs, nor a follow-up discussion.

With this, I have a few, hopefully short questions:
* What is the status of the fixes to ipython.el?
* Is ipython.el now bundled withing the ipython package? Is there a site where I can track the progress in this direction? (the github thread above seems to be closed)
* Does ipython.el need python-mode.el to work?

Thanks so much for the great work.

Re: Status of ipython.el and relationship with python-mode.el

Andreas Röhler-2
Am 16.02.2012 20:35, schrieb rosoloum:

> In reading this thread in StackOverflow:
> "IPython Emacs Integration":
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8226493/ipython-emacs-integration
>
> I learned that ipython.el is known to be out of date, and that the IPython
> community is working on a fix. More specifically the accepted answer in
> StackOverflow points to this other thread in github:
> "Emacs freezes when tab is hit in ipython with latest python-mode":
> https://github.com/ipython/ipython/pull/1015

Hi,

some remarks being one of the python-mode.el developers and definitly
the cupable having merged the ipython.el stuff - thanks a lot to the
ipython.el people BTW.

The idea is to provide a solution already for the Emacs beginner, taking
the need for several customizations, loading across the net etc.
A Python-mode should assist all common flavors of Python right from the
spot.

Think we should be able to keep the modes compatible. Should you have
suggestions, how to design python-mode.el in order to meet your needs,
it's welcome.

Please send your suggestions, bug reports etc.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/python-mode

Certainly we will fix bugs when being aware of a report at other places too.

Should people want to CC me with (i)python-mode related stuff from other
places, that's okay for me, might be helpful too.

Cheers,

Andreas

--
http://launchpad.net/python-mode