Stefan rocks!

Darjus Loktevic
Hey Guys,

Just came back from vacations and was super happy to see all the work by Stefan on various issues :)
Stefan, thank you!

Darjus

Re: Stefan rocks!

fwierzbicki@gmail.com
On Wed, Feb 8, 2017 at 1:38 PM, Darjus Loktevic <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hey Guys,
>
> Just came back from vacations and was super happy to see all the work by
> Stefan on various issues :)
> Stefan, thank you!
+1000 :)

Re: Stefan rocks!

oti-3
awesome - and thanks!

Oti.

[hidden email] <[hidden email]> schrieb am Mi. 8. Feb. 2017 um 22:46:
On Wed, Feb 8, 2017 at 1:38 PM, Darjus Loktevic <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hey Guys,
>
> Just came back from vacations and was super happy to see all the work by
> Stefan on various issues :)
> Stefan, thank you!
+1000 :)

Re: Stefan rocks!

Jim Baker-2
Agreed, lots of good work from Stefan! I'm sad I haven't had a chance to recently look at Jython, but seeing such progress is always great!

On Wed, Feb 8, 2017 at 3:21 PM, Oti <[hidden email]> wrote:
awesome - and thanks!

Oti.

[hidden email] <[hidden email]> schrieb am Mi. 8. Feb. 2017 um 22:46:
On Wed, Feb 8, 2017 at 1:38 PM, Darjus Loktevic <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hey Guys,
>
> Just came back from vacations and was super happy to see all the work by
> Stefan on various issues :)
> Stefan, thank you!
+1000 :)

Re: Stefan rocks!

Jeff Allen-2

Yes, it's an amazing streak. I've been admiring from the armchair. Well done Stefan. Sorry I haven't been able to contribute much since Christmas.

Jeff Allen
On 09/02/2017 05:22, Jim Baker wrote:
Agreed, lots of good work from Stefan! I'm sad I haven't had a chance to recently look at Jython, but seeing such progress is always great!

On Wed, Feb 8, 2017 at 3:21 PM, Oti <[hidden email]> wrote:
awesome - and thanks!

Oti.

[hidden email] <[hidden email]> schrieb am Mi. 8. Feb. 2017 um 22:46:
On Wed, Feb 8, 2017 at 1:38 PM, Darjus Loktevic <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hey Guys,
>
> Just came back from vacations and was super happy to see all the work by
> Stefan on various issues :)
> Stefan, thank you!
+1000 :)

Re: Stefan rocks!

Stefan Richthofer
Hi all,
thanks for the nice words!
Just want to make Jython 2.7.1 as good as possible... who knows when the next release will be...
I also wanted to move things forward, i.e. stop discussing and really get some issues closed.
Btw, what does it take to move an issue from pending to closed? (And to get PRs and issues in github done? IMO all but one PRs in Jython's github mirror can be closed.)
I guess some review would be required, but given our resources, maybe it would be best to do this in rc phase so we can focus on stuff that actually pops up.
Also, I wonder how improvements can be efficiently moved to Jython 3, but that's better discussed in a separate thread I suppose.

Best

Stefan

Gesendet: Donnerstag, 09. Februar 2017 um 09:22 Uhr
Von: "Jeff Allen" <[hidden email]>
An: "Stefan Richthofer" <[hidden email]>
Cc: "Jython Developers" <[hidden email]>, Oti <[hidden email]>, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Betreff: Re: [Jython-dev] Stefan rocks!

Yes, it's an amazing streak. I've been admiring from the armchair. Well done Stefan. Sorry I haven't been able to contribute much since Christmas.

Jeff Allen
On 09/02/2017 05:22, Jim Baker wrote:
Agreed, lots of good work from Stefan! I'm sad I haven't had a chance to recently look at Jython, but seeing such progress is always great!

On Wed, Feb 8, 2017 at 3:21 PM, Oti <[hidden email]> wrote:
awesome - and thanks!

Oti.

[hidden email] <[hidden email]> schrieb am Mi. 8. Feb. 2017 um 22:46:
On Wed, Feb 8, 2017 at 1:38 PM, Darjus Loktevic <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hey Guys,
>
> Just came back from vacations and was super happy to see all the work by
> Stefan on various issues :)
> Stefan, thank you!
+1000 :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most engaging tech sites, SlashDot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot_______________________________________________ Jython-dev mailing list [hidden email] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/jython-dev

Re: Stefan rocks!

Jim Baker-2
Stefan,

I think we just need to fix installation on Windows, including support of pip; and how pip/setuptools are setup by the installer with ensurepip. I don't believe such a fix (or fixes) is too much work.

Unfortunately I personally haven't had time to look at this or other Jython issues recently, because of a project lead responsibility for my work at Rackspace (not Jython related these days). However I expect this work to be a bit more relaxed in about a month however. I'm also planning to go to PyCon to sprint on Jython 3.x.

- Jim

Gesendet: Donnerstag, 09. Februar 2017 um 09:22 Uhr
Von: "Jeff Allen" <[hidden email]>
An: "Stefan Richthofer" <[hidden email]>
Cc: "Jython Developers" <[hidden email]>, Oti <[hidden email]>, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>

Gesendet: Donnerstag, 09. Februar 2017 um 09:22 Uhr
Von: "Jeff Allen" <[hidden email]>
An: "Stefan Richthofer" <[hidden email]>
Cc: "Jython Developers" <[hidden email]>, Oti <[hidden email]>, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>

Yes, it's an amazing streak. I've been admiring from the armchair. Well done Stefan. Sorry I haven't been able to contribute much since Christmas.

Jeff Allen
On 09/02/2017 05:22, Jim Baker wrote:
Agreed, lots of good work from Stefan! I'm sad I haven't had a chance to recently look at Jython, but seeing such progress is always great!

On Wed, Feb 8, 2017 at 3:21 PM, Oti <[hidden email]> wrote:
awesome - and thanks!

Oti.

[hidden email] <[hidden email]> schrieb am Mi. 8. Feb. 2017 um 22:46:
On Wed, Feb 8, 2017 at 1:38 PM, Darjus Loktevic <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hey Guys,
>
> Just came back from vacations and was super happy to see all the work by
> Stefan on various issues :)
> Stefan, thank you!
+1000 :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most engaging tech sites, SlashDot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot_______________________________________________ Jython-dev mailing list [hidden email] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/jython-dev

Pip on Windows

Jeff Allen-2

I promise to test it this time.

Jim:

The Jython user experience on Windows is poor, mostly due to the assumption that either sys.platform == 'win32' or it's Posix. pip is a particular case. Stefan had a cunning idea about this in http://bugs.jython.org/issue2521, essentially making sys.platform a set of strings for which __eq__ returns true if *any* of the strings in the set match.

My feeling is that this is either an amazing way out or leads to a deeper circle of hell. (Hard to decide.) What do you think?

Jeff
Jeff Allen

Gesendet: Donnerstag, 09. Februar 2017 um 09:22 Uhr
Von: "Jeff Allen" <[hidden email]>
An: "Stefan Richthofer" <[hidden email]>
Cc: "Jython Developers" <[hidden email]>, Oti <[hidden email]>, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>

Yes, it's an amazing streak. I've been admiring from the armchair. Well done Stefan. Sorry I haven't been able to contribute much since Christmas.

Jeff Allen
On 09/02/2017 05:22, Jim Baker wrote:
Agreed, lots of good work from Stefan! I'm sad I haven't had a chance to recently look at Jython, but seeing such progress is always great!

On Wed, Feb 8, 2017 at 3:21 PM, Oti <[hidden email]> wrote:
awesome - and thanks!

Oti.

[hidden email] <[hidden email]> schrieb am Mi. 8. Feb. 2017 um 22:46:
On Wed, Feb 8, 2017 at 1:38 PM, Darjus Loktevic <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hey Guys,
>
> Just came back from vacations and was super happy to see all the work by
> Stefan on various issues :)
> Stefan, thank you!
+1000 :)

Re: Pip on Windows

Stefan Richthofer
(Also anwering to Jim's statement from "Github mirror broken"-thread:)
> maybe recent Windows improvements from Stefan are sufficient? we do have a missing file in the latest trunk, so will need some confirmation

(Sorry for the missing file, had forgotten to call hg add. Should be in trunk now.)

Actually I didn't really do any work regarding pip itelf: It already works for me! See my comment in http://bugs.jython.org/issue2521.
I however saw some specific library install processes broken due to individual issues (fixed #2552, #2553).
Note that the original message in #2521 is scoped on Jython 2.7.0 and there were plenty of changes since then.
We really need an update regarding whether the Windows issue is still valid. I am going to test the stuff also on Windows 7 this week.

However, if there is still some flaw because of os.name/sys.platform-driven platform detetection, this should be well tractable now using stuff I wrote about in http://bugs.jython.org/issue2557 (this will be especially helpfull on JyNI-front).

There are some other things I'd like to get done for the release, e.g. update the standard lib to CPython 2.7.13 level.
Special scope on urllib/urllib2 due to http://bugs.jython.org/issue2555. (urllib is also in Lib. Will have to look what Jython-specific adjustments it needs.)

-Stefan

Gesendet: Donnerstag, 09. Februar 2017 um 09:22 Uhr
Von: "Jeff Allen" <[hidden email]>
An: "Stefan Richthofer" <[hidden email]>
Cc: "Jython Developers" <[hidden email]>, Oti <[hidden email]>, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>

Yes, it's an amazing streak. I've been admiring from the armchair. Well done Stefan. Sorry I haven't been able to contribute much since Christmas.

Jeff Allen
On 09/02/2017 05:22, Jim Baker wrote:
Agreed, lots of good work from Stefan! I'm sad I haven't had a chance to recently look at Jython, but seeing such progress is always great!

On Wed, Feb 8, 2017 at 3:21 PM, Oti <[hidden email]> wrote:
awesome - and thanks!

Oti.

[hidden email] <[hidden email]> schrieb am Mi. 8. Feb. 2017 um 22:46:
On Wed, Feb 8, 2017 at 1:38 PM, Darjus Loktevic <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hey Guys,
>
> Just came back from vacations and was super happy to see all the work by
> Stefan on various issues :)
> Stefan, thank you!
+1000 :)

Re: Pip on Windows

Jim Baker-2
I just tested with respect to Jython trunk, and pip now does work as expected. I believe this is the result of an accumulation of small compliance changes for Windows that Stefan and others have recently made, so this is really great!

So on Windows we have the following:
C:\Users\jimba>c:\jython2.7.1-rc1-A\bin\pip install yolk
Collecting yolk
  Downloading yolk-0.4.3.tar.gz (86kB)
 [K    100% |################################| 92kB 100kB/s ta 0:00:01
 [?25hRequirement already satisfied: setuptools in c:\jython2.7.1-rc1-a\lib\site-packages (from yolk)
Installing collected packages: yolk
  Running setup.py install for yolk ...  [?25ldone
 [?25hSuccessfully installed yolk-0.4.3

C:\Users\jimba>c:\jython2.7.1-rc1-A\bin\yolk.exe --list
pip 9.0.1 has no metadata
pytz 2016.10 has no metadata
setuptools 28.8.0 has no metadata
wsgiref         - 0.1.2        - active development (c:\jython2.7.1-rc1-a\lib)
yolk            - 0.4.3        - active
So ignoring some wrong for Windows terminal escape usage (presumably pip, or a vendored library it uses, assumes it's not running on Windows), this pip install works really well: it properly installs yolk, which is an exe that wraps Python (via the complex magic that's roughly equivalent to #! on Windows); and this yolk executable in turn is able to introspect the Jython installation to list installed packages.

Note that we also bundle pip 9.0.1, which is the latest version. (Hurry, let's ship Jython 2.7.1 quick before an updated pip breaks on Jython, again! :)

Given that the pip bug (http://bugs.jython.org/issue2521) was the only remaining blocker for 2.7.1, we should be ready to  for a release candidate. We may want to address some other problems in our bug list, but if so, this means updating the bug's priority/milestone accordingly.

Thanks again for the great work!

- Jim

Gesendet: Donnerstag, 09. Februar 2017 um 09:22 Uhr
Von: "Jeff Allen" <[hidden email]>
An: "Stefan Richthofer" <[hidden email]>
Cc: "Jython Developers" <[hidden email]>, Oti <[hidden email]>, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>

Yes, it's an amazing streak. I've been admiring from the armchair. Well done Stefan. Sorry I haven't been able to contribute much since Christmas.

Jeff Allen
On 09/02/2017 05:22, Jim Baker wrote:
Agreed, lots of good work from Stefan! I'm sad I haven't had a chance to recently look at Jython, but seeing such progress is always great!

On Wed, Feb 8, 2017 at 3:21 PM, Oti <[hidden email]> wrote:
awesome - and thanks!

Oti.

[hidden email] <[hidden email]> schrieb am Mi. 8. Feb. 2017 um 22:46:
On Wed, Feb 8, 2017 at 1:38 PM, Darjus Loktevic <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hey Guys,
>
> Just came back from vacations and was super happy to see all the work by
> Stefan on various issues :)
> Stefan, thank you!
+1000 :)

Re: Pip on Windows

fwierzbicki@gmail.com
On Sun, Feb 26, 2017 at 7:30 PM, Jim Baker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I just tested with respect to Jython trunk, and pip now does work as
> expected. I believe this is the result of an accumulation of small
> compliance changes for Windows that Stefan and others have recently made, so
> this is really great!
>
> So on Windows we have the following:
>
> C:\Users\jimba>c:\jython2.7.1-rc1-A\bin\pip install yolk
> Collecting yolk
>   Downloading yolk-0.4.3.tar.gz (86kB)
>  [K    100% |################################| 92kB 100kB/s ta 0:00:01
>  [?25hRequirement already satisfied: setuptools in
> c:\jython2.7.1-rc1-a\lib\site-packages (from yolk)
> Installing collected packages: yolk
>   Running setup.py install for yolk ...  [?25ldone
>  [?25hSuccessfully installed yolk-0.4.3
>
> C:\Users\jimba>c:\jython2.7.1-rc1-A\bin\yolk.exe --list
> pip 9.0.1 has no metadata
> pytz 2016.10 has no metadata
> setuptools 28.8.0 has no metadata
> wsgiref         - 0.1.2        - active development
> (c:\jython2.7.1-rc1-a\lib)
> yolk            - 0.4.3        - active
>
> So ignoring some wrong for Windows terminal escape usage (presumably pip, or
> a vendored library it uses, assumes it's not running on Windows), this pip
> install works really well: it properly installs yolk, which is an exe that
> wraps Python (via the complex magic that's roughly equivalent to #! on
> Windows); and this yolk executable in turn is able to introspect the Jython
> installation to list installed packages.
>
> Note that we also bundle pip 9.0.1, which is the latest version. (Hurry,
> let's ship Jython 2.7.1 quick before an updated pip breaks on Jython, again!
> :)
>
> Given that the pip bug (http://bugs.jython.org/issue2521) was the only
> remaining blocker for 2.7.1, we should be ready to  for a release candidate.
> We may want to address some other problems in our bug list, but if so, this
> means updating the bug's priority/milestone accordingly.
>
> Thanks again for the great work!
Indeed! I should be able to put together a soft RC1 this evening.

Great work!

-Frank