Summaries PUN 22 October 2014

Maurits van Rees
Hi,

My summaries of this evenings's talks:
http://maurits.vanrees.org/weblog/archive/2014/10/pun

Maurits van Rees: http://maurits.vanrees.org/

Re: Summaries PUN 22 October 2014

Dirkjan Ochtman
On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 9:11 PM, Maurits van Rees <[hidden email]> wrote:
> My summaries of this evenings's talks:
> http://maurits.vanrees.org/weblog/archive/2014/10/pun

Thanks for the notes!

To be honest, I find it too bad that these meetings aren't being
talked about on this list anymore, at all. Could organizers or whoever
wants to be a bridge between meetup and this list keep us up to date?
I guess if I'm really the only person who dislikes Meetup I'll have to
just get into it, but I'd really rather not.

Cheers,

Dirkjan

Re: Summaries PUN 22 October 2014

Wichert Akkerman

> On 22 Oct 2014, at 22:45, Dirkjan Ochtman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 9:11 PM, Maurits van Rees <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> My summaries of this evenings's talks:
>> http://maurits.vanrees.org/weblog/archive/2014/10/pun
>
> Thanks for the notes!
>
> To be honest, I find it too bad that these meetings aren't being
> talked about on this list anymore, at all. Could organizers or whoever
> wants to be a bridge between meetup and this list keep us up to date?
> I guess if I'm really the only person who dislikes Meetup I'll have to
> just get into it, but I'd really rather not.

It’s not just you.

Wichert.

Re: Summaries PUN 22 October 2014

Marcel van den Elst-4
+42

Dirkjan Ochtman schreef op 22-10-14 22:45:

> On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 9:11 PM, Maurits van Rees <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> My summaries of this evenings's talks:
>> http://maurits.vanrees.org/weblog/archive/2014/10/pun
> Thanks for the notes!
>
> To be honest, I find it too bad that these meetings aren't being
> talked about on this list anymore, at all. Could organizers or whoever
> wants to be a bridge between meetup and this list keep us up to date?
> I guess if I'm really the only person who dislikes Meetup I'll have to
> just get into it, but I'd really rather not.

Last week I too had to look up when and where the meetup was, buried
somewhere in the archives and a no longer working link. It may have been
less clear this time because there was unclarity about whether this was
the regular three-monthly PUN or a meetup specifically for Pythonistas
in Amsterdam that was expanded to the whole country just this once.

Also, in this case you really had to register yourself for the meeing at
meetup.com because there was limited room. I was put on the waiting list
initially. The 'limited' room was actually 80 people, which is a lot
more than we are used to as an audience for the PUNs. So meetup.com
really is recommended: at the very least the organizers get an idea of
how many people are coming and can adjust their food and drink supply.

I only use Meetup for the Python groups. I have no problems with it. I
don't get spammed, except for the weekly email with meetups that don't
usually interest me, but I have just changed my account settings to no
longer receive that.  So: Meetup is fine with me.

BUT: I fully expect that Python meetings are announced on this list.
And I hope that organizers don't mind if the few non-meetup users simply
send an e-mail to announce that they are coming.

Hope to see you next time.

When and where?

--
Maurits van Rees: http://maurits.vanrees.org/

Re: Summaries PUN 22 October 2014

Dirkjan Ochtman
On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 9:11 PM, Maurits van Rees <[hidden email]> wrote:
> My summaries of this evenings's talks:
> http://maurits.vanrees.org/weblog/archive/2014/10/pun

Wellicht ook interessant voor mensen die het verhaal van Luuk van der
Velden interessant vonden: ik heb een tijd geleden een
Jinja-naar-JavaScript compiler geschreven. Daarmee konden we bij mijn
vorige werkgever met vrij weinig moeite al onze Jinja-templates
client-side gebruiken. Ik heb er sindsdien zelf niet zoveel meer mee
gedaan, maar het is IMO redelijk leesbare code met tests en ik sta
open voor bugs/patches.

https://github.com/djc/jasinja

Groet,

Dirkjan

Re: Summaries PUN 22 October 2014

Remco Gerlich
Personally, a week ago or so I assumed there wasn't going to be a meeting after all. In September there was a message that it was still going to be held, but after that there was only silence. I forgot to ask on the list and made other plans.

So there is a Meetup group now? I don't have anything against it really, but I thought Meetup always fixed meetups to a fixed location.

Ah, found it. Yeah, I notice it's fixed to Amsterdam. No wonder I never saw that group. And no wonder we never have meetings outside the Randstad anymore...

Remco Gerlich

On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 10:45 PM, Dirkjan Ochtman <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 9:11 PM, Maurits van Rees <[hidden email]> wrote:
> My summaries of this evenings's talks:
> http://maurits.vanrees.org/weblog/archive/2014/10/pun

Thanks for the notes!

To be honest, I find it too bad that these meetings aren't being
talked about on this list anymore, at all. Could organizers or whoever
wants to be a bridge between meetup and this list keep us up to date?
I guess if I'm really the only person who dislikes Meetup I'll have to
just get into it, but I'd really rather not.

Cheers,

Dirkjan

Re: Summaries PUN 22 October 2014

Folkje
On 10/24/2014 09:47 AM, Remco Gerlich wrote:

Ah, found it. Yeah, I notice it's fixed to Amsterdam. No wonder I never saw that group. And no wonder we never have meetings outside the Randstad anymore...
To respond to earlier requests: I'll gather all the sheets and examples of last Wednesday's meetup and make sure to post them on this list. Good idea!

As for our group (Amsterdam Python), we'll meet up again in January, date yet to be decided upon. Please note: this does not replace any PUNs in other cities. It's 'extra'.

Folkje Lips (organiser of Amsterdam Python meetups)

Re: Summaries PUN 22 October 2014

Maurits van Rees
There are two Python groups in the Netherlands that I know of on meetup.com:

We have the Dutch Pyton and Django User group, for the regular PUN meetings:
(where there are plans to hold a meeting in Twente, but don't hold your breath: the first mention of that was in 2013 and there is no date yet.)
Interested in the roughly three-monthly Python Users Netherlands evenings, anywhere in the country? Follow that one.

And there is the Amsterdam Python Meetup Group, from the meeting earlier this week:

Op 24 okt. 2014, om 09:47 heeft Remco Gerlich <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:

Personally, a week ago or so I assumed there wasn't going to be a meeting after all. In September there was a message that it was still going to be held, but after that there was only silence. I forgot to ask on the list and made other plans.

So there is a Meetup group now? I don't have anything against it really, but I thought Meetup always fixed meetups to a fixed location.

Ah, found it. Yeah, I notice it's fixed to Amsterdam. No wonder I never saw that group. And no wonder we never have meetings outside the Randstad anymore...

Remco Gerlich

On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 10:45 PM, Dirkjan Ochtman <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 9:11 PM, Maurits van Rees <[hidden email]> wrote:
> My summaries of this evenings's talks:
> http://maurits.vanrees.org/weblog/archive/2014/10/pun

Thanks for the notes!

To be honest, I find it too bad that these meetings aren't being
talked about on this list anymore, at all. Could organizers or whoever
wants to be a bridge between meetup and this list keep us up to date?
I guess if I'm really the only person who dislikes Meetup I'll have to
just get into it, but I'd really rather not.

Cheers,

Dirkjan

Re: Summaries PUN 22 October 2014

Jaap Broekhuizen
There is also the PyGrunn meetup group. They organize meetups in Groningen.

http://www.meetup.com/PyGrunn/

--
Met vriendelijke groet,

Jaap Broekhuizen