Tabbed Document Interface for IDLE

Wassim Mansouri
I wonder why a feature like the Tabbed Document Interface (TDI) is not
implemented in IDLE? If the core team is OK for letting contributors to
implement such a feature, how to proceed in that direction?

Thanks.

Re: Tabbed Document Interface for IDLE

Terry Reedy
On 1/14/2012 10:21 AM, Wassim Mansouri wrote:
> I wonder why a feature like the Tabbed Document Interface (TDI) is not
> implemented in IDLE?

The original problem was that tabs were part of the then new ttk widgets
in 8.5, which not all distros had. That is no longer an issue.

> If the core team is OK for letting contributors to
> implement such a feature, how to proceed in that direction?

I believe patches exist, though I do not know if there are any on the
tracker. At the moment, once I am able to build a development version of
tkinter on Windows, or install linux, my priority is patches for bugs.

--
Terry Jan Reedy

Re: Tabbed Document Interface for IDLE

Roger Serwy-2
Hi Wassim,

This issue has been raised before. See http://bugs.python.org/issue9262

Guilherme Polo wrote a patch in 2008 for a tabbed interface using the
(then new) Tk 8.5.  The patch would need updating to work with the
current code.

Also, I wrote a tabbed interface extension for Tk8.4 which is now part
of IdleX. See http://idlex.sourceforge.net/
(Note that this extension is a hack to work around the limitations of Tk
8.4 and IDLE's extension interface.)

If you have questions about IDLE's internals, please ask.

- Roger