Quantcast

Teaching algorithm and data structures with Python. Textbooks?

Teaching algorithm and data structures with Python. Textbooks?

Javier Candeira
At Monash there is a plan to move first year programming and CS
courses away from Java. The second semester unit on introduction to CS
(algorithms and data structures) will be taught with Python, and I
have been asked about textbooks. If anyone here has direct experience
with any of the following books, I'll appreciate their comments.
Otherwise, I am guiding myself by amazon comments and, at some point,
we'll have to read the books (natch!), but it will be nice to cull
them beforehand and work with a shortlist.

Rance N. Decaise: Data Structures and Algorithms using Python
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0470618299/

Bradley N Miller: Problem Solving with Algorithms and Data Structures
Using Python
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1590280539/

Magnus Lie Hetland: Python Algorithms: Mastering Basic Algorithms in
the Python Language
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1430232374/

David M. Reed, John Zelle: Data Structures and Algorithms: Using Python and C++
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1590282337/

Bruno R. Preiss: Data Structures and Algorithms with Object-Oriented
Design Patterns in Python
http://www.brpreiss.com/books/opus7/

I have already seen these resources:
http://programmers.stackexchange.com/questions/123768/is-there-a-canonical-book-on-python-algorithms-and-data-structures