Testing a Django library

thauk
I am working on a Django library (which will be packaged) and want to set up testing for it. Looking at a number of existing Django libraries, here seem to be a number of ways to set up testing, and all of them are different.

Are there any best practices? Is there a guide that specifies how it should be done?

Re: Testing a Django library

bobhaugen
Very interesting topic. We will be facing the same problem soon, and will hope to learn from your experience. Got a code repository yet?
We're at https://github.com/django-rea
If and when we have some good answers, I'll report back here.

Re: Testing a Django library

Avraham Serour
What are the different approaches you found?

I created a simple minimal project inside the tests folder

On Mar 21, 2017 9:59 PM, "bobhaugen" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Very interesting topic. We will be facing the same problem soon, and will hope to learn from your experience. Got a code repository yet?
If and when we have some good answers, I'll report back here.

Re: Testing a Django library

Josh Crompton
There's no Django community standard of which I'm aware for doing this.

There *is* a standard way to run tests for Python projects which use setuptools (which yours should do if you want people to be able to `pip install` it) [1].

 I usually do something like this blog post describes [2]. Or, you could use this cookie cutter template [3] if you don't want to set it up manually yourself. It's probably the closest thing you'll find to a "standard".

[1] http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/setuptools#test
[2] http://joebergantine.com/blog/2015/dec/03/test-reusable-django-application-support-multiple-/
[3] https://github.com/pydanny/cookiecutter-djangopackage