Quantcast

Textbook on algorithms and data structures in Python?

Textbook on algorithms and data structures in Python?

Javier Candeira
(Oops, sent too early and the message was incomplete):

At Monash there is a plan to move first year programming and CS
courses away from Java. The second semester unit on introduction to CS
(algorithms and data structures) will (very probably) be taught with
Python!

I have been asked about textbooks. If anyone here has direct
experience with any of the following books, I'll appreciate their
comments. Otherwise, I am guiding myself by amazon comments and. At
some point we'll have to read the books (natch!), but it will be nice
to cull them beforehand and work with a shortlist.

Rance N. Decaise: Data Structures and Algorithms using Python
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0470618299/

Bradley N Miller: Problem Solving with Algorithms and Data Structures
Using Python
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1590280539/

Magnus Lie Hetland: Python Algorithms: Mastering Basic Algorithms in
the Python Language
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1430232374/

David M. Reed, John Zelle: Data Structures and Algorithms: Using Python and C++
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1590282337/

Bruno R. Preiss: Data Structures and Algorithms with Object-Oriented
Design Patterns in Python
http://www.brpreiss.com/books/opus7/

We would rather have feedback from someone with direct experience, but
we have already seen these resources:
http://programmers.stackexchange.com/questions/123768/is-there-a-canonical-book-on-python-algorithms-and-data-structures
http://www.quora.com/Whats-a-good-algorithms-book-with-examples-in-Python

Copied in this message is the lecturer for this unit, please keep her
in your answers as she is not a subscriber to this list.

Thanks!

Javier

Re: Textbook on algorithms and data structures in Python?

Jason-113
Probably not what you are after but after having visited my home town and meet with one of my old lecturers (7 years since I graduated) I got the impression that they were moving away from text books where possible for a variety of reasons, including they are too expensive, they are hard to keep up to date with the course, some students wont end up buying them (or accidentally buy the wrong edition such as the US edition) and once they graduate they are unlikely to use it as a reference.

Taking all that into account have you considered doing the unit without a text book?

Jason Nielsen

On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 12:58:04 +1100, Javier Candeira <[hidden email]> wrote:

> (Oops, sent too early and the message was incomplete):
>
> At Monash there is a plan to move first year programming and CS
> courses away from Java. The second semester unit on introduction to CS
> (algorithms and data structures) will (very probably) be taught with
> Python!
>
> I have been asked about textbooks. If anyone here has direct
> experience with any of the following books, I'll appreciate their
> comments. Otherwise, I am guiding myself by amazon comments and. At
> some point we'll have to read the books (natch!), but it will be nice
> to cull them beforehand and work with a shortlist.
>
> Rance N. Decaise: Data Structures and Algorithms using Python
> http://www.amazon.com/dp/0470618299/
>
> Bradley N Miller: Problem Solving with Algorithms and Data Structures
> Using Python
> http://www.amazon.com/dp/1590280539/
>
> Magnus Lie Hetland: Python Algorithms: Mastering Basic Algorithms in
> the Python Language
> http://www.amazon.com/dp/1430232374/
>
> David M. Reed, John Zelle: Data Structures and Algorithms: Using Python and C++
> http://www.amazon.com/dp/1590282337/
>
> Bruno R. Preiss: Data Structures and Algorithms with Object-Oriented
> Design Patterns in Python
> http://www.brpreiss.com/books/opus7/
>
> We would rather have feedback from someone with direct experience, but
> we have already seen these resources:
> http://programmers.stackexchange.com/questions/123768/is-there-a-canonical-book-on-python-algorithms-and-data-structures
> http://www.quora.com/Whats-a-good-algorithms-book-with-examples-in-Python
>
> Copied in this message is the lecturer for this unit, please keep her
> in your answers as she is not a subscriber to this list.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Javier

Re: Textbook on algorithms and data structures in Python?

Tennessee Leeuwenburg-3

I haven't read any of them, but I'd be super-interested to hear any reviews! My algorithms & data structures course was in C I think... I actually mostly remember the theoretical aspects rather than the implementations we build. It was mostly an exam-based subjects, I mostly remember something something bisection methods = log n. :) ... I've certainly made use of knowledge about binary search, hashing, linked-lists and basic trees, but I've never had to rebalance a tree or needed to estimate the complexity of an algorithm at work.

I wonder if there is anything in those books about data structures suited to parallel processing.

Cheers,
-T

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 1:13 PM, Jason <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Probably not what you are after but after having visited my home town and
> meet with one of my old lecturers (7 years since I graduated) I got the
> impression that they were moving away from text books where possible for a
> variety of reasons, including they are too expensive, they are hard to keep
> up to date with the course, some students wont end up buying them (or
> accidentally buy the wrong edition such as the US edition) and once they
> graduate they are unlikely to use it as a reference.
>
> Taking all that into account have you considered doing the unit without a
> text book?

I think it's good if the library has a textbook where students can
delve deeper into the topics. Some subjects may change a lot, but an
introductory CS course using Python 2.X shouldn't need much updating
either... In any case, it's not my decision whether to use a textbook
or not, I am just helping to pick the best one.

Re: Textbook on algorithms and data structures in Python?

Javier Candeira
On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 1:46 PM, Tennessee Leeuwenburg
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I haven't read any of them, but I'd be super-interested to hear any reviews!

Yes, I will report back with our conclusions.

> I wonder if there is anything in those books about data structures suited to
> parallel processing.

Interesting topic. I will keep an eye out as I survey them.

Re: Textbook on algorithms and data structures in Python?

Javier Candeira
Hi, Tennessee,

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 2:34 PM, Javier Candeira <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 1:46 PM, Tennessee Leeuwenburg
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I haven't read any of them, but I'd be super-interested to hear any reviews!
> I wonder if there is anything in those books about data structures suited to
> parallel processing.

Not an algorithms textbook, but apparently Beazley's Python Essential
Reference has a good section on concurrence, maybe it touches on data
structures for parallelism. From Alex Gaynor's review:

"The first instance of this is the chapter on concurrency. I've done
some concurrent programming with Python, but it's mostly been small
scripts, a multiprocess and multithreaded web scraper for example, so
I'm familiar with the basic APIs for threading and multiprocessing.
However, this chapter goes into the full details, really covering the
stuff you need to know if you want to build bigger applications that
leverage these techniques. Things like shared data for processes or
events and condition variables for threads and the kind of things that
the book gives a good explanation of, as well as good examples of how
to use them."

-- http://lazypython.blogspot.com/2009/11/final-review-of-python-essential.html