The BBC and Python

Nicholas H.Tollervey
Hey Folks,

It has been brought to my attention that the BBC *are* actually making
moves in the area of programming in schools (viz. what happened at
PyconUK).

I've copied an email that was forwarded to me and I think it'd be useful
for the UK Python community to engage with these guys. I'm certainly
going to respond and I know that there are many people on this list who
have valuable experience and knowledge to share.

It's almost lunch time. If you're at a loose end over your
sandwich-break then why not reply rather than browse Slashdot..? :-P

All the best,

Nicholas.

From: Keri Facer <[hidden email]>
> [...]

> processes, what tools and skills would such a project need to
> develop?  In particular, we would appreciate answers to the specific
> questions below
>

> (NB, we use the term computational thinking rather than computer
> science, programming, or ICT skills because we don’t want to assume
> one particular view of what is important in this area. That, indeed,
> is what we want your views on).
>

> Key questions
>
>       * What aspects of computational thinking (e.g. understanding how
>         ‘computers think/work’, using programming languages,
>         understanding systems thinking or other issues) should a BBC
>         Micro 2.0 project focus on? What do you think people should be
>         able to learn to do with computers today? Why?
>       * What are the best ways to support and encourage those young
>         people (aged 9-14) with an interest in this area, to develop
>         their interest and skills in computational thinking ? Can you
>         suggest any examples of resources or activities that you know
>         of?
>       *  What are the best ways to support and encourage young people
>         (aged 9-14) with other intereststo develop an interest in and
>         understanding of computational thinking? Can you suggest any
>         examples of resources or activities that you know of?
>       *  What are the key obstacles to learning computational thinking
>         and how might these best be overcome?
>       *  If you were to make hardware available to schools in the same
>         way as the BBC Micro in 1981, what sorts of hardware would you
>         think was essential to develop the skills and understanding
>         needed?
>       * If you were designing a tv programme today that sought to have
>         the same effect as The Computer Programme in stimulating
>         interest in the most important new area of technological
>         development, what area would you expect it to address and what
>         topics would you expect it to cover? Would it still be in the
>         field of computer science? What areas?
>       * Do you know of any projects, resources and activities that
>         would be examples that this project could learn from?
>       *  Do you have any other comments on the idea of a new BBC Micro
>         project?
>

> Thank you for your time and your help  – do let us know if you’d like
> to be kept updated if there are further developments.
>

> Keri Facer (MMU)
>
> Howard Baker (BBC)
>
> Nicola Whitton (MMU)
>

> Keri Facer
> Professor of Education
> Education and Social Research Institute
> Manchester Metropolitan University
> 799 Wilmslow Road
> Manchester
> M20 2RR
>
> Tel: 0161 247 2412
> Email: [hidden email]
> Twitter: #kerileef
>
> "Before acting on this email or opening any attachments you should
> read the Manchester Metropolitan University email disclaimer available

Re: The BBC and Python

Jonathan Fine-4
Hi

This sounds interesting.  I work at the OU (in a technical support rather than teaching role) and may be able to help out with contacts, background and history.  I think they'll be some interest in this sort of thing across the OU, although not necessarily with Python as the programming language.

The OU runs a course "My Digital Life" which is related to this (but not for schools).
    http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/course/tu100.htm

At the centre of the course is The SenseBoard, which as I recall Gary Bullmer developed.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tgn4Ln47lM8

I hope this helps.

Jonathan

From: Keri Facer <[hidden email]>