Time for a new release?

Barry Warsaw
Thanks Andreas and Georg for your recent commits to python-mode.el.  I wonder
if it isn't time to start thinking about an official release, probably of 5.2?
Is there anything else anybody would like to get in, say over the next couple
of days?  If not, I'd be happy to do a release on Friday, but wouldn't mind if
someone else wanted to do it instead.

-Barry

Re: Time for a new release?

Andreas Röhler-2
Am 05.01.2011 19:45, schrieb Barry Warsaw:

> Thanks Andreas and Georg for your recent commits to python-mode.el.  I wonder
> if it isn't time to start thinking about an official release, probably of 5.2?
> Is there anything else anybody would like to get in, say over the next couple
> of days?  If not, I'd be happy to do a release on Friday, but wouldn't mind if
> someone else wanted to do it instead.
>
> -Barry

Hi Barry,

I'm glad seeing python-mode proceeding.

As for a release, AFAIU we don't have reached Milestone 5.1.1 yet.

Bug #473525 isn't dealt with.
Wanted to look at next days.

Too for my taste there are much more bugs we could adress an current
code base still.

I'm pretty sure more triple-quote-string bugs exists.
Hopefully I'll be at it next month.

Cheers

Andreas

Re: Time for a new release?

Skip Montanaro-3

    >> Thanks Andreas and Georg for your recent commits to python-mode.el.

Ditto.

    >> I wonder if it isn't time to start thinking about an official
    >> release, probably of 5.2?  Is there anything else anybody would like
    >> to get in, say over the next couple of days?  If not, I'd be happy to
    >> do a release on Friday, but wouldn't mind if someone else wanted to
    >> do it instead.

Any chance of making something available without announcing globally?  I
really don't have the round tuits necessary to figure out the launchpad
stuff.  I could, however, download and install from a tarball and test it a
bit.

Skip

Re: Time for a new release?

Georg Brandl-3

Re: Time for a new release?

Barry Warsaw
On Jan 05, 2011, at 01:41 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

>Any chance of making something available without announcing globally?  I
>really don't have the round tuits necessary to figure out the launchpad
>stuff.  I could, however, download and install from a tarball and test it a
>bit.

In Launchpad we can only attach download files to releases, and I don't think
it makes sense to put dev versions on stable releases.  We could find another
way to do it, but actually the easiest way to always get the current bzr head
is:

% bzr --no-plugins cat http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~python-mode-devs/python-mode/python-mode/python-mode.el > python-mode.el

(yeah the repetition sucks, but oh well, it works)

-Barry

Re: Time for a new release?

Barry Warsaw
On Jan 05, 2011, at 08:45 PM, Andreas Röhler wrote:

>I'm glad seeing python-mode proceeding.
>
>As for a release, AFAIU we don't have reached Milestone 5.1.1 yet.

Please consider whether the changes so far warrant a 5.1.1 or a 5.2.  I
haven't looked closely enough, but I'd say if there are new features, then 5.2
is probably more appropriate.  We can always retarget issues to a new
milestone.

(Next time, we can also not care until we actually do a release.)

>Bug #473525 isn't dealt with.
>Wanted to look at next days.

Georg just committed a fix for this, which works for me.

>Too for my taste there are much more bugs we could adress an current code
>base still.
>
>I'm pretty sure more triple-quote-string bugs exists.
>Hopefully I'll be at it next month.

Cool.  You're doing most of the work, so you should decide!  There are always
more version numbers where the last one came from though. :)

-Barry

Re: Time for a new release?

Georg Brandl-3

Re: Time for a new release?

Barry Warsaw

Hi Georg,

On Jan 05, 2011, at 09:58 PM, Georg Brandl wrote:

>I have some more changes that I'd like to discuss before committing.  (These
>are features in my patched version at bitbucket.org/birkenfeld/dotemacs).
>
>Basically:
>
>* a separate face for class names:  font-lock-type-face is meant for types in
>  type declarations and therefore usually not a very noticeable face.  For
>  example I like to have class names underlined, but having
>  font-lock-type-face underlined looks very odd in c-mode.
>
>* a separate face for exception classes: somewhat redundant, but looks nice.
>  Both for builtin exceptions and any name after a raise or except.

Both of these sound good to me.  I checked out and tested your branch, and
reviewed it.  I think there are only two minor issues that need fixing, but it
otherwise looks good.

>* special locking for escape sequences and %-formatting codes in strings, like
>  the equivalent feature in elisp-mode.
>
>  (The code seems to have some issues with font-locking buffers, so I'd be
>  glad for suggestions how to fix it.)

I'm not sure I understand what the issues are.  I tested it with a few Mailman
files and it looked okay, though the extra bolding was a little off-putting
(yeah, I'll be customizing those faces as soon as your changes land :).

What are the problems?  Not that I'm an expert on all the insane font-lock
possibilities.

>* no filling in code (that one is pretty simple, just remove the "fill-
>  paragraph" in the last condition of py-fill-paragraph).

+1!  If that's the bug I think it is, it's been annoying me for about a
bazillion years.  E.g. I want to be able to fill comments for sure, maybe
strings, but never code.

>BTW, while looking at this, something is still not quite right with the
>parsing of triple-quoted string literals... as can be witnessed when filling
>a TQS with embedded SQS...

Can you provide an example?

>If I can figure out how to do it, I'll commit these changes separately to a
>private branch on launchpad, so that they can be reviewed.

Two additional things would be nice if anyone's so inclined.

* Adding a NEWS file; I don't care how far back into history it goes.
* Maybe some nice screen grabs of face examples so folks have a visual way of
  seeing what their font-lock options are.

- -Barry

Re: Time for a new release?

Erik Max Francis
Barry Warsaw wrote:

> Hi Georg,
>
> On Jan 05, 2011, at 09:58 PM, Georg Brandl wrote:
>> BTW, while looking at this, something is still not quite right with the
>> parsing of triple-quoted string literals... as can be witnessed when filling
>> a TQS with embedded SQS...
>
> Can you provide an example?

Embed a single-quoted string in a triple-quoted one:

"""This is a "single-quoted string" inside a triple-quoted one."""

It does not color properly; the contents inside the single-quoted string
are not colored as if it were part of the string.

--
Erik Max Francis && [hidden email] && http://www.alcyone.com/max/
  San Jose, CA, USA && 37 18 N 121 57 W && AIM/Y!M/Skype erikmaxfrancis

Re: Time for a new release?

Georg Brandl-3

Am 06.01.2011 00:19, schrieb Barry Warsaw:

> Hi Georg,
>
> On Jan 05, 2011, at 09:58 PM, Georg Brandl wrote:
>
>>I have some more changes that I'd like to discuss before committing.  (These
>>are features in my patched version at bitbucket.org/birkenfeld/dotemacs).
>
>>Basically:
>
>>* a separate face for class names:  font-lock-type-face is meant for types in
>>  type declarations and therefore usually not a very noticeable face.  For
>>  example I like to have class names underlined, but having
>>  font-lock-type-face underlined looks very odd in c-mode.
>
>>* a separate face for exception classes: somewhat redundant, but looks nice.
>>  Both for builtin exceptions and any name after a raise or except.
>
> Both of these sound good to me.  I checked out and tested your branch, and
> reviewed it.  I think there are only two minor issues that need fixing, but it
> otherwise looks good.

Okay, I'll have a look at the customization issue.

>>* special locking for escape sequences and %-formatting codes in strings, like
>>  the equivalent feature in elisp-mode.
>
>>  (The code seems to have some issues with font-locking buffers, so I'd be
>>  glad for suggestions how to fix it.)
>
> I'm not sure I understand what the issues are.  I tested it with a few Mailman
> files and it looked okay, though the extra bolding was a little off-putting
> (yeah, I'll be customizing those faces as soon as your changes land :).
>
> What are the problems?  Not that I'm an expert on all the insane font-lock
> possibilities.

The problem is that after applying this patch, I see larger files
mis-highlighted when I open them and jump to somewhere in the middle of the
buffer (or when the point is placed there automatically on openening, because
that was my last editing position).

Basically, I guess some string boundary isn't recognized, and the highlighting
string <-> code is reversed: code is highlighted as string, and vice versa.
It can be "fixed" by moving point into a correctly highlighted region and
calling `font-lock-fontify-buffer'.

>>* no filling in code (that one is pretty simple, just remove the "fill-
>>  paragraph" in the last condition of py-fill-paragraph).
>
> +1!  If that's the bug I think it is, it's been annoying me for about a
> bazillion years.  E.g. I want to be able to fill comments for sure, maybe
> strings, but never code.

Yep, that's that.

>>BTW, while looking at this, something is still not quite right with the
>>parsing of triple-quoted string literals... as can be witnessed when filling
>>a TQS with embedded SQS...
>
> Can you provide an example?

Try filling this string:

"""
The output conforms to the XHTML version 1.0 Transitional DTD
(*almost* strict).  The output "contains" a minimum of formatting
information.  The cascading style sheet "html4css1.css" is required
for proper viewing with a modern graphical browser.
"""

It results in this:

"""
The output conforms to the XHTML version 1.0 Transitional DTD (*almost* strict).
The output"contains" a minimum of formatting
information.  The cascading style sheet "html4css1.css" is required
for proper viewing with a modern graphical browser.
"""

behaving as if the string stopped at the single double-quote before "contains".

The font-locking *seems* to be all-right, however I've still seen an instance
where the text between the single quotes has code-coloring -- cannot reproduce
though.

>>If I can figure out how to do it, I'll commit these changes separately to a
>>private branch on launchpad, so that they can be reviewed.
>
> Two additional things would be nice if anyone's so inclined.
>
> * Adding a NEWS file; I don't care how far back into history it goes.
> * Maybe some nice screen grabs of face examples so folks have a visual way of
>   seeing what their font-lock options are.

I'll see what I can do.

cheers,
Georg

Re: Time for a new release?

Barry Warsaw
On Jan 05, 2011, at 09:02 PM, Erik Max Francis wrote:

>Embed a single-quoted string in a triple-quoted one:
>
>"""This is a "single-quoted string" inside a triple-quoted one."""
>
>It does not color properly; the contents inside the single-quoted string are
>not colored as if it were part of the string.

wfm with r372 in Emacs 23.2.1

-Barry

Re: Time for a new release?

Barry Warsaw

On Jan 06, 2011, at 09:00 AM, Georg Brandl wrote:

>Okay, I'll have a look at the customization issue.

It doesn't appear to affect behavior and I have no idea how to fix it, so I
think it shouldn't block your branch.

>The problem is that after applying this patch, I see larger files
>mis-highlighted when I open them and jump to somewhere in the middle of the
>buffer (or when the point is placed there automatically on openening, because
>that was my last editing position).
>
>Basically, I guess some string boundary isn't recognized, and the highlighting
>string <-> code is reversed: code is highlighted as string, and vice versa.
>It can be "fixed" by moving point into a correctly highlighted region and
>calling `font-lock-fontify-buffer'.

But with no change to the buffer other than that?  Sounds like possibly a bug
in Emacs, though I also vaguely recall that font-lock did or does have some
maximum limit of buffer size on which it operated.  I think this was put in at
the time where then-modern machines really couldn't keep up with on-the-fly
highlighting.

>>>BTW, while looking at this, something is still not quite right with the
>>>parsing of triple-quoted string literals... as can be witnessed when filling
>>>a TQS with embedded SQS...
>>
>> Can you provide an example?
>
>Try filling this string:
>
>"""
>The output conforms to the XHTML version 1.0 Transitional DTD
>(*almost* strict).  The output "contains" a minimum of formatting
>information.  The cascading style sheet "html4css1.css" is required
>for proper viewing with a modern graphical browser.
>"""
>
>It results in this:
>
>"""
>The output conforms to the XHTML version 1.0 Transitional DTD (*almost* strict).
>The output"contains" a minimum of formatting
>information.  The cascading style sheet "html4css1.css" is required
>for proper viewing with a modern graphical browser.
>"""
>
>behaving as if the string stopped at the single double-quote before
>"contains".

Confirmed, and if you change those embedded double quotes to single quotes,
the paragraph fills correctly.

>The font-locking *seems* to be all-right, however I've still seen an instance
>where the text between the single quotes has code-coloring -- cannot reproduce
>though.

Me neither with r372.

>>>If I can figure out how to do it, I'll commit these changes separately to a
>>>private branch on launchpad, so that they can be reviewed.
>>
>> Two additional things would be nice if anyone's so inclined.
>>
>> * Adding a NEWS file; I don't care how far back into history it goes.
>> * Maybe some nice screen grabs of face examples so folks have a visual way of
>>   seeing what their font-lock options are.
>
>I'll see what I can do.

Thanks very much for adding the NEWS file!

- -Barry

Re: Time for a new release?

Georg Brandl-3

Re: Time for a new release?