Tools/unicode

Michael Foord-3
Hello all,

In the Tools/ directory (py3k) we have a tool/directory called
"unicode". The description in Tools/README is:

unicode         Tools used to generate unicode database files for
                 Python 2.0 (by Fredrik Lundh).

As described this is not at all useful for Python 3.2. I'm removing the
"for Python 2.0" from the description, but I would rather remove the
tool altogether.

If someone knows if this tool is still used/useful then please let us
know how the description should best be updated. If there are no replies
I'll remove it.

All the best,

Michael Foord

--
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/

May you do good and not evil

Re: Tools/unicode

Alexander Belopolsky
On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 10:33 AM, Michael Foord <[hidden email]> wrote:
..
> If someone knows if this tool is still used/useful then please let us know
> how the description should best be updated. If there are no replies I'll
> remove it.

If you are talking about Tools/unicode/, this is definitely a very
useful tool used to generate unicodedata and encoding modules from raw
unicode.org files.

Re: Tools/unicode

Michael Foord-3
On 03/01/2011 15:39, Alexander Belopolsky wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 10:33 AM, Michael Foord<[hidden email]>  wrote:
> ..
>> If someone knows if this tool is still used/useful then please let us know
>> how the description should best be updated. If there are no replies I'll
>> remove it.
> If you are talking about Tools/unicode/, this is definitely a very
> useful tool used to generate unicodedata and encoding modules from raw
> unicode.org files.
The description currently reads "Tools used to generate unicode database
files". I'll update it to read:

     "tool used to generate unicodedata and encoding modules from raw
unicode.org files"

All the best,

Michael Foord

--
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/

May you do good and not evil

Re: Tools/unicode

M.-A. Lemburg
Michael Foord wrote:

> On 03/01/2011 15:39, Alexander Belopolsky wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 10:33 AM, Michael
>> Foord<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> ..
>>> If someone knows if this tool is still used/useful then please let us
>>> know
>>> how the description should best be updated. If there are no replies I'll
>>> remove it.
>> If you are talking about Tools/unicode/, this is definitely a very
>> useful tool used to generate unicodedata and encoding modules from raw
>> unicode.org files.
> The description currently reads "Tools used to generate unicode database
> files". I'll update it to read:
>
>     "tool used to generate unicodedata and encoding modules from raw
> unicode.org files"

Make that "Tools for generating unicodedata and codecs from unicode.org
and other mapping files".

The scripts in that dir are not just one tool, but several tools needed
to maintain the Unicode database in Python as well as generate new
codecs from mapping files.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jan 03 2011)
>>> Python/Zope Consulting and Support ...        http://www.egenix.com/
>>> mxODBC.Zope.Database.Adapter ...             http://zope.egenix.com/
>>> mxODBC, mxDateTime, mxTextTools ...        http://python.egenix.com/

   eGenix.com Software, Skills and Services GmbH  Pastor-Loeh-Str.48
               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/

Re: Tools/unicode

Michael Foord-5
On 03/01/2011 16:19, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:

> Michael Foord wrote:
>> On 03/01/2011 15:39, Alexander Belopolsky wrote:
>>> On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 10:33 AM, Michael
>>> Foord<[hidden email]>   wrote:
>>> ..
>>> If you are talking about Tools/unicode/, this is definitely a very
>>> useful tool used to generate unicodedata and encoding modules from raw
>>> unicode.org files.
>> The description currently reads "Tools used to generate unicode database
>> files". I'll update it to read:
>>
>>      "tool used to generate unicodedata and encoding modules from raw
>> unicode.org files"
> Make that "Tools for generating unicodedata and codecs from unicode.org
> and other mapping files".
>
> The scripts in that dir are not just one tool, but several tools needed
> to maintain the Unicode database in Python as well as generate new
> codecs from mapping files.

Thanks Marc-Andre. I'll add you and Martin as maintainers in the README
description as well.

All the best,

Michael Foord

--