Towards a PDEE

Andreas Röhler-2

Hi Barry, hello list,

as the colors themes matter indicates, idea of an
integrated python developing environment meets some
wider interest.

Which raises the question where to proceed.

Integrating more stuff might result into an collection
like emacs-w3m.

BTW if entered that path, suggest a split of current
python-mode.el too, think smaller files grouped
thematically as for pdb for example are easier to
debug.

Not to get folks bewildered, suggest to keep stuff as
is in python-mode.el at the known place. But making up
a second location, mirroring classic python-mode,
augmented by other useful stuff as ipython, maybe
color-theme etc.

So people may download and install from there a reasonable default ready-to-go,
a python emacs augmented mode (PYEAM) as a first step
towards of a python development emacs environment
(PDEE).

(?)

Andreas

--
https://code.launchpad.net/~a-roehler/python-mode
https://code.launchpad.net/s-x-emacs-werkstatt/

Re: Towards a PDEE

Barry Warsaw
On Mar 22, 2010, at 12:32 PM, Andreas Roehler wrote:

>as the colors themes matter indicates, idea of an
>integrated python developing environment meets some
>wider interest.
>
>Which raises the question where to proceed.

I'm probably not the best person to participate in this.  While I definitely
can understand the appeal and applaud the effort to provide Python developers
with a really fantastic Emacs-based development environment, it's probably not
something I would personally use.  But hey, I'm old so ignore me and go for
it! :)

>Integrating more stuff might result into an collection
>like emacs-w3m.
>
>BTW if entered that path, suggest a split of current
>python-mode.el too, think smaller files grouped
>thematically as for pdb for example are easier to
>debug.
>
>Not to get folks bewildered, suggest to keep stuff as
>is in python-mode.el at the known place. But making up
>a second location, mirroring classic python-mode,
>augmented by other useful stuff as ipython, maybe
>color-theme etc.
I think you'll have problems keeping two different locations for the same
functionality in sync.  I'm not in favor of splitting python-mode.el up much
personally because I think it's really easy for people to grab and install as
one file.  Perhaps think about building optional tools around python-mode and
keeping python-mode.el as the basic support for .py file editing?

I see no reason why this larger effort couldn't be housed inside the
python-mode project on Launchpad though, as long as we continue to make it
easy (and obvious) how to download and install python-mode.el for those
wanting something simpler.

-Barry

Re: Towards a PDEE

Andreas Röhler-2
Barry Warsaw wrote:

> On Mar 22, 2010, at 12:32 PM, Andreas Roehler wrote:
>
>> as the colors themes matter indicates, idea of an
>> integrated python developing environment meets some
>> wider interest.
>>
>> Which raises the question where to proceed.
>
> I'm probably not the best person to participate in this.  While I definitely
> can understand the appeal and applaud the effort to provide Python developers
> with a really fantastic Emacs-based development environment, it's probably not
> something I would personally use.  But hey, I'm old so ignore me and go for
> it! :)

Maybe exists something which will still raise you up :)

>> Integrating more stuff might result into an collection
>> like emacs-w3m.
>>
>> BTW if entered that path, suggest a split of current
>> python-mode.el too, think smaller files grouped
>> thematically as for pdb for example are easier to
>> debug.
>>
>> Not to get folks bewildered, suggest to keep stuff as
>> is in python-mode.el at the known place. But making up
>> a second location, mirroring classic python-mode,
>> augmented by other useful stuff as ipython, maybe
>> color-theme etc.
>
> I think you'll have problems keeping two different locations for the same
> functionality in sync.  I'm not in favor of splitting python-mode.el up much
> personally because I think it's really easy for people to grab and install as
> one file.  Perhaps think about building optional tools around python-mode and
> keeping python-mode.el as the basic support for .py file editing?
>
> I see no reason why this larger effort couldn't be housed inside the
> python-mode project on Launchpad though, as long as we continue to make it
> easy (and obvious) how to download and install python-mode.el for those
> wanting something simpler.
>
> -Barry

Could realise the augmented mode via branches. Whats needed so far is a separate tar-archive delivering it.
A problem not solved that way is the info. `color-theme' for example is quite another item than python.
If a branch contains up to hundred el-files then, how to document and/or explain the matter?

A step forward maybe would be a closer integration of already existing stuff:
presently, if python-mode is on, it knows nothing about doctest-mode...

Andreas