Trouble installing PyBWidgets

gilcneth

Hello All:

I am having trouble getting the PyBWidgets plugged in correctly in a Windows XP environment.  It appears to be path-related, since the BWidget package can't be found.  The installation 'Read Me' indicates that I should 'package require'--what does this mean and how would I do this?

Thanking you in advance,

Chris Nethery
[hidden email] (new email address)

Re: Trouble installing PyBWidgets

Michael Lange
On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 13:42:33 -0400
"[hidden email]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello All:
>
> I am having trouble getting the PyBWidgets plugged in correctly in a Windows XP environment.  It appears to be path-related, since the BWidget package can't be found.  The installation 'Read Me' indicates that I should 'package require'--what does this mean and how would I do this?

Hi Chris,

"package require .." is something like the tcl equivalent to python's "import ...".
However, you shouldn't have to bother with this, it's something the python module should do for you.
Did you run the setup.py, and if yes, where did it install the BWidgets ?
On my linux box they're in /usr/share/pybwidget , I'm not sure about windows, but I think somewhere in
your Tcl folder should work.

Regards

Michael

Re: Trouble installing PyBWidgets

gilcneth

Thank you, Michael, for your reply.

I have tried running setup.py and receive the following error:

>python setup.py
usage: setup.py [global_opts] cmd1 [cmd1_opts] [cmd2 [cmd2_opts] ...]
or: setup.py --help [cmd1 cmd2 ...]
or: setup.py --help-commands
or: setup.py cmd --help

error: no commands supplied

I guess I need to provide some additional commands, but I am not sure which commands I should provide.

-- Chris

Re: Trouble installing PyBWidgets

Fredrik Lundh
[hidden email] wrote:

> I have tried running setup.py and receive the following error:

> usage: setup.py [global_opts] cmd1 [cmd1_opts] [cmd2 [cmd2_opts] ...]
> or: setup.py --help [cmd1 cmd2 ...]
> or: setup.py --help-commands
> or: setup.py cmd --help
>
> error: no commands supplied

> I guess I need to provide some additional commands,
> but I am not sure which commands I should provide.

hint:

python setup.py --help-commands

Standard commands:
  build            build everything needed to install
  build_py         "build" pure Python modules (copy to build directory)
  build_ext        build C/C++ extensions (compile/link to build directory)
  build_clib       build C/C++ libraries used by Python extensions
  build_scripts    "build" scripts (copy and fixup #! line)
  clean            clean up output of 'build' command
  install          install everything from build directory
  install_lib      install all Python modules (extensions and pure Python)
  install_headers  install C/C++ header files
  install_scripts  install scripts (Python or otherwise)
  install_data     install data files
  sdist            create a source distribution (tarball, zip file, etc.)
  register         register the distribution with the Python package index
  bdist            create a built (binary) distribution
  bdist_dumb       create a "dumb" built distribution
  bdist_rpm        create an RPM distribution
  bdist_wininst    create an executable installer for MS Windows

given your subject line, "install" might be what you want.

reading the generic installation guide can also be a good idea:

    http://docs.python.org/inst/inst.html

</F>

Re: Trouble installing PyBWidgets

gilcneth

I see what was happening here.  I was running 'setup.py --help-commands' and my text editor was just opening up the file.  I wasn't assuming the obvious, which was that I should have been entering 'python setup.py --help-commands'.  I have gone down the 'python setup.py install' route and everything is working great.

Thank you for your help!

-- Chris