Trying to run py2exe built/generated executables within a VMWare windows XP 32 bit instance

Trying to run py2exe built/generated executables within a VMWare windows XP 32 bit instance

Jacob Kruger-3
Trying to play around with a VMWare player virtual instance of windows XP, 32 bit, service pack 3, etc. to try out, among other things, python executables, code etc., since my primary machine is a windows7 64 bit machine, and while these executables, built using py2exe seem to run fine on actual, physically separate windows XP machines, in this instance, it comes up with something along the lines of the following:
The application, appName.exe failed to launch. Try reinstalling it with a new configuration

...or something like that.

Any thoughts/ideas, and is it likely that this might be somewhat specific to things like the virtual video card, sound card, memory, etc. etc. that are being used/accessed by this virtual instance of windows XP?

Might also try out something like a bare minimum/basic app bit later that only makes use of python standard/system modules, since most of these make use of externally installed modules, but haven't encountered similar issues on physical machines as of yet, but anyway.

Thoughts?

TIA

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA

Re: Trying to run py2exe built/generated executables within a VMWare windows XP 32 bit instance

Aahz
On Thu, Feb 23, 2012, Jacob Kruger wrote:

> Any thoughts/ideas, and is it likely that this might be somewhat
> specific to things like the virtual video card, sound card, memory,
> etc. etc. that are being used/accessed by this virtual instance of
> windows XP?

Well, I haven't touched a real Windows box in years, I only run Windows
on a Mac under Fusion or VirtualBox.  I've had zero problems of the kind
you're describing.

I suggest that you provide exact error messages.  You might also try a
stripped-down application to see whether it's something in your code.
--
Aahz ([hidden email])           <*>         http://www.pythoncraft.com/

Re: Trying to run py2exe built/generated executables within a VMWare windows XP 32 bit instance

smapusPy

I ran into a similar issue with the MsSQL module when going between win7 and server 2008.

For me, the resolution was excluding that dll from the py2exe build and making sure the correct DLLs were with the executable on the new server. I had to find the version the host is looking for and keep it with the executable.

from distutils.core import setup
import py2exe,sys,os

dll=[]

#This is where I specified the DLL I wanted it to put next to the executable
dll.append(os.path.join(os.path.split(pymssql.__file__)[0], 'ntwdblib.dll'))

alloptions = {"py2exe": {"compressed": 1,
"optimize": 2,
"bundle_files":1,
"packages": ["pymssql","_mssql","decimal","email"],
"excludes": ["MySQLdb", "Tkconstants", "Tkinter","tcl","orm.adapters.pgsql","orm.adapters.mysql"],
"dll_excludes": ["tcl84.dll", "tk84.dll","wxmsw26uh_vc.dll"]
}
}

programName = 'appName.py'
sys.argv.append('py2exe')