[Tutor] ADO with python 2.6 without additional installs

[Tutor] ADO with python 2.6 without additional installs

Bakkestuen Roger

Hi

I’m struggling with finding a way to access and query an MSAccess base in an organisation with a very standardised environment.

Python 2.6 is available and Office 2010.

Is there a way to access and query trough for instance ADO without having to install the Win32 package?

Any suggestions or even sample code?

Best regards

Roger Bakkestuen

Norwegian Public Roads Administration

Eastern Region – Geodata

Post adress: Statens vegvesen Region øst, Postboks 1010, 2605 LILLEHAMMER

Office adress: Industrigaten 17, LILLEHAMMER
Phone: +47 61271236  Mobile: +47 94833636  e-mail: [hidden email]
www.vegvesen.no  e-mail: [hidden email]

Re: [Tutor] ADO with python 2.6 without additional installs

Christian Witts
On 2012/04/10 11:13 AM, Bakkestuen Roger wrote:

Hi

I’m struggling with finding a way to access and query an MSAccess base in an organisation with a very standardised environment.

Python 2.6 is available and Office 2010.

Is there a way to access and query trough for instance ADO without having to install the Win32 package?

Any suggestions or even sample code?

Best regards

Roger Bakkestuen

Norwegian Public Roads Administration

Eastern Region – Geodata

Post adress: Statens vegvesen Region øst, Postboks 1010, 2605 LILLEHAMMER

Office adress: Industrigaten 17, LILLEHAMMER
Phone: +47 61271236  Mobile: +47 94833636  e-mail: [hidden email]
www.vegvesen.no  e-mail: [hidden email]

You can give PyODBC [1] a try as it does support MS Access [2].

[1] http://code.google.com/p/pyodbc/
[2] http://code.google.com/p/pyodbc/wiki/ConnectionStrings

--
Email Signature

Christian Witts
Python Developer

Re: [Tutor] ADO with python 2.6 without additional installs

Christian Witts
On 2012/04/10 03:07 PM, Bakkestuen Roger wrote:
Email Signature

This requires install of pyodbc.

I was looking for modules in std python 2.6 or higher.

Med hilsen
Roger Bakkestuen

Telefon: +47 61271236  Mobil: +47 94833636  e-post: [hidden email]

[...]

Unfortunately the only DB Access that's built into Python is SQLite, for all other databases you'll need to install 3rd party packages.
--
Email Signature

Christian Witts
Python Developer

Re: [Tutor] ADO with python 2.6 without additional installs

Bob Gailer
Please always reply-all so a copy goes to the list

On 4/10/2012 5:13 AM, Bakkestuen Roger wrote:

Hi

I’m struggling with finding a way to access and query an MSAccess base in an organisation with a very standardised environment.

I gather from your other comments this means no installing of 3rd party software. True?

I presume that policy is to prevent malicious code from running. True?

Please say more about your objectives.

Can you export the Access data and operate on it outside the Access environment?

--
Bob Gailer
919-636-4239

Re: [Tutor] ADO with python 2.6 without additional installs

Alan Gauld
On 10/04/12 10:13, Bakkestuen Roger wrote:

> Is there a way to access and query trough for instance ADO without
> having to install the Win32 package?

Yes, you can use ctypes to access the Microsoft DLL functions and Win32
API directly. But thats going to be non trivial and probably painful!

There is a ctypes mailing list/forum who may have people who can help.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site