[Tutor] Cannot run python programs on my windows7 computer

[Tutor] Cannot run python programs on my windows7 computer

Tamar Osher
Hello.  Is there someone who can tutor me about how to "run" Python files on my windows7 computer?  I have IDLE (the white box, the Python shell).  I have the command prompt (the black box).  And I also have Notepad++ on my computer.  I have a total of 3 ways of trying to run my Python programs.  I have tried and tried.  The books and the online tutorials don't mention or discuss the problems that I am having; I cannot run Python programs.  The computer itself it fabulously great, but I cannot get my Python files to easily run on it.  If I am sometimes able to get a program to run, it is just seems to happen by chance, and I am not able to do it again next time.  I feel frustrated with this situation, and need help.  I hope to hear from someone, please.

Re: [Tutor] Cannot run python programs on my windows7 computer

Mark Lawrence
On 14/03/2012 00:52, Tamar Osher wrote:

> Hello.  Is there someone who can tutor me about how to "run" Python files on my windows7 computer?  I have IDLE (the white box, the Python shell).  I have the command prompt (the black box).  And I also have Notepad++ on my computer.  I have a total of 3 ways of trying to run my Python programs.  I have tried and tried.  The books and the online tutorials don't mention or discuss the problems that I am having; I cannot run Python programs.  The computer itself it fabulously great, but I cannot get my Python files to easily run on it.  If I am sometimes able to get a program to run, it is just seems to happen by chance, and I am not able to do it again next time.  I feel frustrated with this situation, and need help.  I hope to hear from someone, please.

Stating "I cannot run Python programs" doesn't give us much to go on.

Read this first http://www.imladris.com/Scripts/PythonForWindows.html

If you still have problems tell us exactly what you are doing and what
the error messages are by cutting and pasting into email, don't try to
type stuff yourself.

--
Cheers.

Mark Lawrence.

Re: [Tutor] Cannot run python programs on my windows7 computer

Brian van den Broek-2

On 14 Mar 2012 02:56, "Tamar Osher" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello.  Is there someone who can tutor me about how to "run" Python files on my windows7 computer?  I have IDLE (the white box, the Python shell).  I have the command prompt (the black box).  And I also have Notepad++ on my computer.  I have a total of 3 ways of trying to run my Python programs.  I have tried and tried.  The books

Hi Tamar,

I remember that I found it a bit non-obvious to get this working when I started with python, too. Unfortunately, that is nearing a decade ago and I don't recall what the bump was.

If you can get idle going, you can run programs. On the File menu, New opens a new editor window where you can type a program and Open opens an extant file. It also provide a different menu with Run. If that doesn't run your program, something is messed up with your install.

Idle isn't always the best choice; you'll want to be able to run from a command shell (the "black box"), too. What happens when you type 'python' there? If you get a python prompt, save a file mytest.py that has the sole line
  raw_input(42)
somewhere and try 'python full\path\to\mytest.py'. If you don't get a python prompt on typing 'python' type 'path' and report your result.

I don't have a windows box, so I am going on memory and might have got things wrong.

As for top posting: notice how my text follows yours? This means a reader of this email hits the context before my content. If you are on a number of lists and watching a number of threads, top posted emails are annoying as you have to scroll down to read the context then up to read the content. Whether that makes sense to you or not, the community from which you seek help strongly prefers you not top post, so don't.

Best,

Brian vdB