[Tutor] Getting started with PyGTK [Receiving Error]

[Tutor] Getting started with PyGTK [Receiving Error]

Santosh Kumar-2
System Information
----------------------------
Ubuntu 11.10
Python 2.7.2

Problem
------------

I think my Ubuntu has PyGTK and GTK both already installed. But
however when I am importing "gtk" in Python interactive mode then I am
getting the following warning:

(.:4126): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in
module_path: "pixmap",

(.:4126): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in
module_path: "pixmap",

(.:4126): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in
module_path: "pixmap",

(.:4126): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in
module_path: "pixmap",

On the other side, importing "PyGTK" works well. What might be error?

Re: [Tutor] Getting started with PyGTK [Receiving Error]

Alan Gauld
On 28/04/12 23:48, Santosh Kumar wrote:
> System Information
> ----------------------------
> Ubuntu 11.10
> Python 2.7.2
>
> Problem
> ------------
>
> I think my Ubuntu has PyGTK and GTK both already installed.

You should be able to confirm that by checking in Synaptic.

> however when I am importing "gtk" in Python interactive mode then I am
> getting the following warning:
>
> (.:4126): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in
> module_path: "pixmap",
>
> On the other side, importing "PyGTK" works well. What might be error?

What exactly does that mean? Do you mean yhou get no errors? Does it
mean you can execute some sample code?

The warnings above may not be serious, does gtk work in the sense of
executing code? What happens if youi do help(gtk) ?

However, Gtk is not a mainstream package for beginners to Python and not
part of the standard library and that's what this list is focused on.
You might get more detailed help on a pygtk forum, or maybe even a
generic GTk forum since the error probably refers to some basic GTk
feature. It certainly isn't a pure python issue.

This page has some suggestions:

http://www.pygtk.org/feedback.html

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site

Re: [Tutor] Getting started with PyGTK [Receiving Error]

Russel Winder-2
Santosh,

On Sun, 2012-04-29 at 04:18 +0530, Santosh Kumar wrote:

> System Information
> ----------------------------
> Ubuntu 11.10
> Python 2.7.2
>
> Problem
> ------------
>
> I think my Ubuntu has PyGTK and GTK both already installed. But
> however when I am importing "gtk" in Python interactive mode then I am
> getting the following warning:
>
> (.:4126): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in
> module_path: "pixmap",
>
> (.:4126): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in
> module_path: "pixmap",
>
> (.:4126): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in
> module_path: "pixmap",
>
> (.:4126): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in
> module_path: "pixmap",
>
> On the other side, importing "PyGTK" works well. What might be error?
This is an Ubuntu configuration error and nothing to do with Python or
PyGTK.  As Russell Smith notes you need to get
Aptitude/Apt-Get/Synaptic/...whatever package manager you use... to
ensure the pixmap engine is installed.  Of course one has to ask why you
are using that GTK engine, there are many other far better ones.

It is also worth noting that PyGTK is effectively deprecated. PyGTK only
works with GTK+2 it is not ported to GTK+3.  Instead PyGObject is the
way of working with GTK+3 from Python.

http://readthedocs.org/docs/python-gtk-3-tutorial/en/latest/index.html

--
Russel.