[Tutor] New to Python programing

Walter Luna
Hi everybody, my name is Walter I am a new beginner with no programing experience. I am using OSX Lion, and successfully installed Python version 3. I am looking for a programing guide for  beginners with no programing experience. Can you please suggest me a good one to use. Thank you.

Walter

Re: [Tutor] New to Python programing

Shane Keene
I don't currently use Python 3 and don't recommend that you use it to
learn with, mostly because the bulk of the docs and learning resources
are Python 2.x focused and the two are not compatible. That said, here
are some resources that you may find useful (particularly if you choose
to learn using 2.x):

Learn Python the Hard Way: http://learnpythonthehardway.org/

How to Think Like a Computer Scientist:
http://openbookproject.net/thinkcs/python/english2e/

and http://python.org/doc has a wealth of info as does
http://wiki.python.org/moin/BeginnersGuide/NonProgrammers

hope that's helpful.

On Mon, 2012-04-02 at 17:03 -0700, Walter Luna wrote:
> Hi everybody, my name is Walter I am a new beginner with no programing experience. I am using OSX Lion, and successfully installed Python version 3. I am looking for a programing guide for  beginners with no programing experience. Can you please suggest me a good one to use. Thank you.
>
> Walter

Re: [Tutor] New to Python programing

wesley chun
greetings walter, and welcome to the Python family!

it looks like you've got your machine all set up. hopefully installing
Python 3 wasn't too difficult -- users constantly have issues with
their own installs clash with the Python that's pre-installed by
Apple.

as far as learning Python for beginners goes, you have to decide what
version to learn -- since you have both Python 2 & 3 on your system,
you have a choice. if you have existing code that's written in Python
2.x, you should learn that first. if you have "no baggage," then
Python 3.x is the way to go as it is the future.

regardless of which you pick, you should realize: 1) once you learn
one, you will learn the other as there are only seemingly minor (but
backwards-incompatible differences), 2) most books and online
materials are still in Python 2 although more and more Python 3
materials are becoming available.

as far as books go, the best way to learn Python is by writing games.
this is an approach that works both with children as well as adults.
there are several excellent books that can help you with this regard:

- Hello World! Computer Programming for Kids and Other Beginners by
Warren Sande and Carter Sande, Manning,
- Invent your Own Computer Games with Python second edition by Al Sweigart
- How to Think Like a Computer Scientist by Allen B. Downey, Jeff
Elkner and Chris Meyers, Green Tea Press
- Python Programming for the Absolute Beginner by Michael Dawson,
Course Technology

i go into a bit more detail on these as well as the books shane
recommends in my "Python Reading List" article (which actually
describes 3 separate reading lists):
http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1849069

as far as online resources go, try these:

- How to Think Like a Computer Scientist (Downey, Elkner, Meyers)
    http://www.openbookproject.net/thinkcs/
- Learning to Program (Gauld)
    http://www.alan-g.me.uk/l2p
- LiveWires Python
    http://www.livewires.org.uk/python/home
    http://pythongames.weebly.com/livewires.html
- Snake Wrangling for Kids (Briggs)
    http://www.briggs.net.nz/snake-wrangling-for-kids.html
    http://code.google.com/p/swfk/
- Computer Programming is Fun! (Handy)
    http://www.handysoftware.com/cpif/
- Karel the Robot clone: Guido van Robot
    http://gvr.sf.net
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guido_van_Robot
- Karel the Robot clones: RUR-PLE
    http://rur-ple.sf.net
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RUR-PLE
- A Byte of Python (Swaroop)
    http://www.swaroopch.com/notes/Python
- Instant Hacking: Learning to Program with Python (Hetland)
    http://hetland.org/writing/instant-hacking.html

hope this all helps, and again, welcome to Python!!
--wesley

On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 5:03 PM, Walter Luna <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi everybody, my name is Walter I am a new beginner with no programing experience. I am using OSX Lion, and successfully installed Python version 3. I am looking for a programing guide for  beginners with no programing experience. Can you please suggest me a good one to use. Thank you.
>
> Walter

Re: [Tutor] New to Python programing

Wayne Werner-2
On Mon, 2 Apr 2012, wesley chun wrote:

> greetings walter, and welcome to the Python family!
<snip>
> as far as books go, the best way to learn Python is by writing games.
> this is an approach that works both with children as well as adults.
> there are several excellent books that can help you with this regard:

There is another book that I didn't notice mentioned: Game Programming: The L line, the express
line to learning.

The book is unfortunately named because it makes no mention of Python, but it's
quite a good book for learning both programming and Python... and games!

Good luck and welcome to Python!
-Wayne Werner