[Tutor] New to Python programing

Cranky Frankie
Another resourse for learning to program is YouTube. They just had a
segment on "60 Minutes" about a guy who does all kinds of well
regarded free courses on-line, unfortunately I can't remberber the
URL. I've viewed several Stanford University programming courses, and
there are many Python specific vidoes there as well. Just something
else to check out.

--
Frank L. "Cranky Frankie" Palmeri
Risible Riding Raconteur & Writer

Re: [Tutor] New to Python programing

Christian Witts
On 2012/04/03 03:50 PM, Cranky Frankie wrote:
Another resourse for learning to program is YouTube. They just had a
segment on "60 Minutes" about a guy who does all kinds of well
regarded free courses on-line, unfortunately I can't remberber the
URL. I've viewed several Stanford University programming courses, and
there are many Python specific vidoes there as well. Just something
else to check out.

Are you possibly thinking of the Khan Academy [1] ?

[1] http://www.khanacademy.org/
--
Email Signature

Christian Witts
Python Developer

On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 10:09 AM, Christian Witts <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Are you possibly thinking of the Khan Academy [1] ?
>
> [1] http://www.khanacademy.org/

Yes, that was it, thanks.

--
Frank L. "Cranky Frankie" Palmeri
Risible Riding Raconteur & Writer
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that
it is often difficult to verify their authenticity.”
- Abraham Lincoln

Re: [Tutor] New to Python programing

Brad Hudson
>> Are you possibly thinking of the Khan Academy [1] ?
>>
>> [1] http://www.khanacademy.org/

If you're interested in free courses, MIT also has free programming
courses (done in Python) via their OpenCourseWare and will be
expanding this to MITx in the near future.

OpenCourseWare - Intro to Computer Science & Programming (Python
based) located here:
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/6-00sc-introduction-to-computer-science-and-programming-spring-2011/index.htm

Brad

Re: [Tutor] New to Python programing

wesley chun
a couple of other sources of video learning (DISCLAIMER: the 1st is
from my employer, and the 2nd is from me -- the intention is to
provide alternatives not shameless self-promotion so please don't take
it that way!):

1. Google offers an internal Python training class to its employees.
it's a 2-day course designed to teach existing programmers how to code
in Python, covering syntax, data structures, etc. (it's not deep and
thorough like the course i teach publicly but it may be just what you
need.)

i volunteer to deliver it a couple of times a year. anyway, you can
get all the course contents, exercises, and a lively delivery by my
colleague Nick Parlante (recorded a few years ago) across 7 videos
which span both days here:
http://code.google.com/edu/languages/google-python-class

2. a few years ago, i was asked to do a video version of my public
course blended with material from the "Core Python Programming" book.
the primary target audience includes existing programmers who need to
learn Python (2.x & 3.x) quickly and comprehensively via video
lectures (as opposed to the "show-me-do" style of onscreen hacking --
which is *also* a viable way of learning but just not for everyone).

some people prefer the lecture-style, so if you do, then you may wish
to consider it. i made the mistake of not being more public about this
early on, hence some of the not-so-great Amazon reviews. :P anyway, if
you're interested, you can get a free video clip here:
http://www.informit.com/store/product.aspx?isbn=9780137143412. (the
editors left some of my bleeping bloopers in the DVD, so it may be
entertaining to you at my expense.) another free preview of my
teaching style (if you want to learn about Python Generators) can be
found at http://cyberwebconsulting.com

cheers,
-- wesley