[Tutor] Opensource projects / Subversion

[Tutor] Opensource projects / Subversion

Michael Lewis
Hey everyone,

I finally made my way into working on Opensource projects. I installed tortoisesvn. I included command line tools when running the installer. However when I invoke svn at command line, I get the following error:

"svn: command not found"

It seems like svn isn't installed, but again, I had the installer include command line tools.

Please help.

Sent from my iPhone

Re: [Tutor] Opensource projects / Subversion

Steven D'Aprano-8
[hidden email] wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> I finally made my way into working on Opensource projects. I installed tortoisesvn. I included command line tools when running the installer. However when I invoke svn at command line, I get the following error:
>
> "svn: command not found"
>
> It seems like svn isn't installed, but again, I had the installer include command line tools.
>
> Please help.

Does this have anything to do with learning Python? What's tortoisesvn? Since
you're having a problem with that, shouldn't you be asking on a tortoisesvn
mailing list?

--
Steven

Re: [Tutor] Opensource projects / Subversion

Tim Golden-4
On 08/04/2012 16:07, Steven D'Aprano wrote:

> [hidden email] wrote:
>> Hey everyone,
>>
>> I finally made my way into working on Opensource projects. I installed
>> tortoisesvn. I included command line tools when running the installer.
>> However when I invoke svn at command line, I get the following error:
>>
>> "svn: command not found"
>>
>> It seems like svn isn't installed, but again, I had the installer
>> include command line tools.
>> Please help.
>
> Does this have anything to do with learning Python? What's tortoisesvn?
> Since you're having a problem with that, shouldn't you be asking on a
> tortoisesvn mailing list?

As Steven points out, this is more to do with installing particular
development tools that with learning Python. However...

TortoiseSVN is a popular Windows Shell extension offering easy
access to Subversion via Windows Explorer. Although its
installers have, for a long time, only offered Shell (in the
Windows sense) access to the Subversion functions, more recent
installers have offered to install the commandline svn tools as well.

Since I have the commandline tools already installed, I've
never actually selected this option when upgrading to newer
versions. So what I don't know is whether they also add a
suitable directory to the PATH environment variable. But, given
the message you're getting, I imagine they don't.

I suspect that they would install to somewhere like:

   %PROGRAMFILES%\TortoiseSvn\bin

You can confirm that by cut-and-pasting that into your Start > Run
menu or into an Explorer address bar and seeing if it comes up
with a directory or not. If not, you'll have to scout around in
likely places to see where it *has* installed svn.exe and its
friends. Once you find them, add that directory to the PATH via:

   Control Panel > System > Advanced > Environment Variables

depending somewhat on what setup you're running. And then try again
at the command prompt with svn.

Alternatively, don't bother with the command prompt; just use
TortoiseSvn natively, so to speak.

TJG