[Tutor] Porting

Ejaj Hassan
Hello,
  I am a novice in python development. I just came across this "Python porting 2.7 to 3.x" .
I am just confused with this. Please tell me the whole meaning of it.
Regards.
Ejaj

Re: [Tutor] Porting

Steven D'Aprano-8
On Sun, Mar 04, 2012 at 12:02:37PM +0530, Ejaj Hassan wrote:
> Hello,
>   I am a novice in python development. I just came across this "Python
> porting 2.7 to 3.x" .
> I am just confused with this. Please tell me the whole meaning of it.

Programmers talk about "porting" when they take code written in one
language (say Java) and re-write it in another language (say, Python).

Python 2.x (2.5, 2.6, 2.7) code is *slightly* different from Python 3.x
code, like British English and American English. Just enough that many
Python 2.x programs almost, but not quite, work in Python 3.x, and the
same the other way around.

So when you take a Python program written for version 2.7, and change it
to work in Python 3.x, that's called "porting" too.

--
Steven