[Tutor] What to call a string with embedded descriptor?

[Tutor] What to call a string with embedded descriptor?

Tim Johnson-18
This is kind of a theoretical question. I.E. I am looking for a
keyword to do research on.
Consider the following string:

'3:2,6:2,4:3,5:0|age50height63nametimvalue'

If the string above is split on the first occurance of '|',
the result is a 'leftmost' component which can be decomposed into a
nested list of integers which can then be used to parse the
'rightmost' string into a dictionary.

What would be a generic term or a pythonist term for such a string?

Thanks
--
Tim
http://www.akwebsoft.com

Re: [Tutor] What to call a string with embedded descriptor?

S.Irfan Rizvi
please help me disable this.......i made big mistake searching your site

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 1:57 PM, Tim Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is kind of a theoretical question. I.E. I am looking for a
> keyword to do research on.
> Consider the following string:
>
> '3:2,6:2,4:3,5:0|age50height63nametimvalue'
>
> If the string above is split on the first occurance of '|',
> the result is a 'leftmost' component which can be decomposed into a
> nested list of integers which can then be used to parse the
> 'rightmost' string into a dictionary.
>
> What would be a generic term or a pythonist term for such a string?
>
> Thanks
> --
> Tim
> tim at tee jay forty nine dot com or akwebsoft dot com
> http://www.akwebsoft.com

       Regards
     ~ S. Irfan Rizvi
 ADR-TS

Re: [Tutor] What to call a string with embedded descriptor?

Emile van Sebille
On 3/30/2012 12:57 PM S.Irfan Rizvi said...
> please help me disable this.......i made big mistake searching your site

note that at the bottom of every email you're getting from this list has
a link to the unsubscribe page...

<snip>

Re: [Tutor] What to call a string with embedded descriptor?

Emile van Sebille
On 3/30/2012 11:57 AM Tim Johnson said...

> This is kind of a theoretical question. I.E. I am looking for a
> keyword to do research on.
> Consider the following string:
>
> '3:2,6:2,4:3,5:0|age50height63nametimvalue'
>
> If the string above is split on the first occurance of '|',
> the result is a 'leftmost' component which can be decomposed into a
> nested list of integers which can then be used to parse the
> 'rightmost' string into a dictionary.
>
> What would be a generic term or a pythonist term for such a string?

I've called them formatted or structured -- you could also say
proprietary I imagine.  I'm not aware if there's a formal name...

Emile

Re: [Tutor] What to call a string with embedded descriptor?

Tim Johnson-18
* Emile van Sebille <[hidden email]> [120330 12:21]:
<....> >If the string above is split on the first occurance of '|',
> >the result is a 'leftmost' component which can be decomposed into a
> >nested list of integers which can then be used to parse the
> >'rightmost' string into a dictionary.
> >
> >What would be a generic term or a pythonist term for such a string?
> >

> I've called them formatted or structured -- you could also say
> proprietary I imagine.  I'm not aware if there's a formal name...
  Back in the day when I worked in C and did a bit of reconstructing
  proprietory database schemes in legacy systems, it was common for
  a binary file to start with a "map" which defined how to search
  the subsequent content. I never did know if there was a formal
  terminology for such a setup. I guess there isn't.

  Thanks for the reply.
--
Tim
http://www.akwebsoft.com