Quantcast

[Tutor] advice on an app

Khalid Al-Ghamdi
hi all,

I'm trying to create an app that schedules 3000 to 5000 trainees' practical exams.

All the trainees basic info (name, badge, major, etc.) is in excel and i've managed to convert it into a HUGE list via a csv.reader object.

My question is: is this the right way to go or should i use sqlight3 instead?

thanks

Re: [Tutor] advice on an app

Joel Goldstick-2
On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 5:19 AM, Khalid Al-Ghamdi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> hi all,
>
> I'm trying to create an app that schedules 3000 to 5000 trainees'
> practical exams.
>
> All the trainees basic info (name, badge, major, etc.) is in excel and i've
> managed to convert it into a HUGE list via a csv.reader object.
>
> My question is: is this the right way to go or should i use sqlight3
> instead?
>
> thanks

I would first start with all my fields and understanding how they
relate to each other.  The student/course situation you may be
describing is often used as an example in sql tutorials since it is
easy to understand and lends itself to a nice discussion about joins.

The size of your data set isn't really a problem.  Thousands of
records are a lot to look at on a printout, but not a big deal for a
computer script (python) or a database endgine (sqlite3).

--
Joel Goldstick