[Tutor] new to programming and wondering about an IDE for Python on Linux

[Tutor] new to programming and wondering about an IDE for Python on Linux

John Jensen
Hi All,

I'm new to programming and wondering about an IDE for Python on Linux. I'd appreciate any feedback on this and good tutorials or books on Python 3 and the IDEs suggested. There are many available and I'm wondering what you as users find effective.

Thanks,

John

Re: [Tutor] new to programming and wondering about an IDE for Python on Linux

Alan Gauld
On 27/02/12 15:22, John Jensen wrote:

> I'm new to programming and wondering about an IDE for Python on Linux.

Linux is an IDE :-)

But, smiley's aside it's true. You can use basic tools like
vim, emacs and terminal windows etc. To cut n paste between
them is trivial (Much more so than in Windows or MacOS).

Tools like diff, grep and ctags enable cross file navigation between
functions etc and are fully integrated with the common editors.

Unix was built for software development by software
developers. There is little that a modern IDE can do that Unix
tools can't do almost as easily (tooltips is about the only
thing I'm aware of!) And there's lots that Unix can do that
most IDEs struggle with.

> I'd appreciate any feedback on this and good tutorials or books on
> Python 3 and the IDEs suggested. There are many available and I'm
> wondering what you as users find effective.

But if you must have an IDE the usual suspects are available:
Netbeans, Eclipse, Wing, SPE, and many others...

...and of course IDLE which comes with Python.

Personally I go with vim, and 2 terminal windows. One running
a prompt and one to execute the program for testing.--

Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site
http://www.alan-g.me.uk/

Re: [Tutor] new to programming and wondering about an IDE for Python on Linux

Robert Sjoblom
>> I'd appreciate any feedback on this and good tutorials or books on
>> Python 3 and the IDEs suggested. There are many available and I'm
>> wondering what you as users find effective.

I fiddled a bit with the Eric Python IDE; Eric5 for Python3 and Eric4
for Python2; overall I'd say that Eclipse was a better experience, but
Eric was by no means bad. I guess it comes down to user preferences.
As for books, Dive Into Python 3 is one of the better books I've come
across.

http://eric-ide.python-projects.org/

--
best regards,
Robert S.

Re: [Tutor] new to programming and wondering about an IDE for Python on Linux

Steven D'Aprano-8
On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 07:22:20AM -0800, John Jensen wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm new to programming and wondering about an IDE for Python on Linux.
> I'd appreciate any feedback on this and good tutorials or books on
> Python 3 and the IDEs suggested. There are many available and I'm
> wondering what you as users find effective.

Personally, I find that Linux and the standard tool chain it provides is
an IDE, no need for a dedicated IDE application.

http://blog.sanctum.geek.nz/series/unix-as-ide/

My IDE of choice is KDE's "kate" text editor, plus a terminal app that
supports multiple tabs. I run at least one Python interactive
interpreter in one tab, for testing code snippets, calling interactive
help, etc., and other tabs for controlling my source repository
(mercurial), running scripts, etc.

Oh, and a browser for searching the web. I prefer DDG:

http://duckduckgo.com/

which has dedicated Python support.

--
Steven