[Tutor] seeing the results of a python program in windows7

[Tutor] seeing the results of a python program in windows7

Tamar Osher
Hi.  I ask for help.  Thanks very much for your time.

I can run a python program in Notepad++, but what happens is that the black box flashes and disappears immediately, so that I never see the results.  How can I style it so that the results of the program stay on the computer screen, for me to see?

Using IDLE, the Python Shell, I can click File/New Window, to get a new window that allows me to RUN a program.  But the RUN option does not allow me to choose which program I want to run.  How can I style it so that I can choose which program to run, and how can I see the results of that program?

Re: [Tutor] seeing the results of a python program in windows7

Hugo Arts
On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 5:12 PM, Tamar Osher <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi.  I ask for help.  Thanks very much for your time.
>
> I can run a python program in Notepad++, but what happens is that the black
> box flashes and disappears immediately, so that I never see the results.
>  How can I style it so that the results of the program stay on the computer
> screen, for me to see?

The black box disappears when the program exits. To stop your program
from exiting immediately, you can wait for user input at the end of
your program. In python 3, this is the input() function. In python 2
you should use raw_input().

Alternatively, you could add the lines

import os
os.system("pause")

at the end of the program, which asks you to press any key and then exits.
> Using IDLE, the Python Shell, I can click File/New Window, to get a new
> window that allows me to RUN a program.  But the RUN option does not allow
> me to choose which program I want to run.  How can I style it so that I can
> choose which program to run, and how can I see the results of that program?

If you want to use IDLE it's possible as well, and you don't need to
change your program for it. Just open the file you want to run in IDLE
(in the IDLE menu click File -> Open, or right click the file in
explorer and choose "Edit with IDLE") Then, either press F5 or click
Run -> Run Module.

HTH,
Hugo

Re: [Tutor] seeing the results of a python program in windows7

Mark Lawrence
On 14/03/2012 16:12, Tamar Osher wrote:

> Hi.  I ask for help.  Thanks very much for your time.
> I can run a python program in Notepad++, but what happens is that the black box flashes and disappears immediately, so that I never see the results.  How can I style it so that the results of the program stay on the computer screen, for me to see?
> Using IDLE, the Python Shell, I can click File/New Window, to get a new window that allows me to RUN a program.  But the RUN option does not allow me to choose which program I want to run.  How can I style it so that I can choose which program to run, and how can I see the results of that program?

Now that you can actually run a program, would you please be kind enough
to tell everybody for the record how you overcame the problem "I cannot
run Python programs" as asked in the thread entitled "Cannot run python
programs on my windows7 computer".

--
Cheers.

Mark Lawrence.

Re: [Tutor] seeing the results of a python program in windows7

Bob Gailer
On 3/14/2012 12:12 PM, Tamar Osher wrote:
Hi.  I ask for help.  Thanks very much for your time.

I can run a python program in Notepad++, but what happens is that the black box flashes and disappears immediately, so that I never see the results.
If you expected anything else you don't understand how windows runs programs.
 How can I style it so that the results of the program stay on the computer screen, for me to see?
Do this:

try:
  # your program goes here
finally:

  raw_input("Press any key")
# if you are running Python 3 replace
raw_input with input

Adding the try-finally construct ensures that any exception in your code will be visible.
--
Bob Gailer
919-636-4239

Re: [Tutor] seeing the results of a python program in windows7

Brian van den Broek-2

On 15 Mar 2012 04:14, "bob gailer" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 3/14/2012 12:12 PM, Tamar Osher wrote:

>> I can run a python program in Notepad++, but what happens is that the black box flashes and disappears immediately, so that I never see the results.

>>  How can I style it so that the results of the program stay on the computer screen, for me to see?
>
> Do this:
>
> try:
>   # your program goes here
> finally:
>   raw_input("Press any key")
> # if you are running Python 3 replace raw_input with input
>
> Adding the try-finally construct ensures that any exception in your code will be visible.

Alternatively, invoke python to run your program at the prompt with the interactive switch:

  python -i myscript.py

Best,

Brian vdB