Tutorials

Daniele Procida-3
I am one of those people who can only learn things by doing them, and finds it very hard to grasp things from reference materials. The Django documentation is excellent on the latter, but not quite so good on the tutorials that would guide me through doing things in a way that will help me learn.

I've made a couple of tutorial contributions so far (which if I am honest simply reflect the steps I took when I was learning the topic). They are the testing tutorial <https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.5//intro/tutorial05/> and a uWSGI/nginx tutorial, which though it may not be quite right for the Django docs has gone into the uWSGI docs.

I'd like to contribute more tutorials to the documentation, and since the next thing I need to get to grips with is logging I will write my own notes so I remember how to do it, and I could create a tutorial for it.

Would that be useful for the documentation? I realise that a tutorial is always going to be a partial and incomplete introduction to a subject, but newcomers need to start with something concrete, and it gives them some purchase on the reference material that is already provided.

Are there other topics that really ought to have tutorials written for them?

Daniele

Re: Tutorials

Tim Graham-2
Hi Daniele,

I think additional tutorials would be welcome. My suggestion, before you dive in and start writing, would be to create a ticket with an outline of the proposed tutorial.  That will give the community a chance to take a look and provide feedback and suggestions before you spend time doing the actual writing.

For some ideas, here is the list of "coming soon" tutorials that were at the end of tutorial 4 for a long time:
  • Advanced form processing
  • Using the RSS framework
  • Using the cache framework (see ticket below)
  • Using the comments framework (not sure about this, since I think comments may be removed from Django, see #18965)
  • Advanced admin features: Permissions
  • Advanced admin features: Custom JavaScript
These may not be the best options at this point, but someone thought they were good ideas at one point.

In addition, here are some tutorial tickets that have been "accepted":

#16526 - Add a tutorial on caching
#19106 - Add new tutorial on breaking templates into blocks

I think your suggestion of logging is a good candidate -- you may want to take a look at #19395 as well.

Thank-you for your contributions thus far, and I look forward to seeing what you come up with in the future. :-)

Tim

On Friday, January 4, 2013 5:42:44 PM UTC-5, Daniele Procida wrote:
[...]

Lee Trout
+1 for logging. It took me way too long to figure out how to get everything working properly using a different (builtin) class. I agree with #19395 that an example (or two) would be great.

Here's what I'm currently using which makes use of a rotating file handler and a custom date formatter (If it offers any inspiration or clarification): https://gist.github.com/4489135