Ubuntu and nvidia and Xorg and no-EDID projectors conspire against me

Ubuntu and nvidia and Xorg and no-EDID projectors conspire against me

Javier Candeira
Today I have spent the best part of an afternoon fighting a projector
in a classroom. My laptop runs ubuntu 10.10, has a nvidia geforce go
5200, and will only output 640x480 through VGA. I think the problem is
that the projector is behind an AV system that obscures the EDID,
because with monitors I have managed better.

If anyone has experience marrying nvidia cards under ubuntu to
projectors, I will appreciate their help. Especially since I am
presenting at pycon this coming weekend!

Struggling,

Javier

Re: Ubuntu and nvidia and Xorg and no-EDID projectors conspire against me

Rory Hart-3
Are you just using the nvidia config tool or are you hacking the xorg.conf?

If you haven't attacked the xorg.conf back it up first then use the nvidia tool to overwrite it with the projector settings then edit the file for the higher resolution.

On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 9:37 PM, Javier Candeira <[hidden email]> wrote:
Today I have spent the best part of an afternoon fighting a projector
in a classroom. My laptop runs ubuntu 10.10, has a nvidia geforce go
5200, and will only output 640x480 through VGA. I think the problem is
that the projector is behind an AV system that obscures the EDID,
because with monitors I have managed better.

If anyone has experience marrying nvidia cards under ubuntu to
projectors, I will appreciate their help. Especially since I am
presenting at pycon this coming weekend!

Struggling,

Javier

Rory Hart
http://www.roryhart.net

Re: Ubuntu and nvidia and Xorg and no-EDID projectors conspire against me

Javier Candeira
The nvidia-settings tool is what restricts me to 640x480.

I have tried editing the xorg.conf by hand, using the strategy you
suggest, with not much success. I'll give it another try tomorrow
between classes.

On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 9:46 PM, Rory Hart <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Are you just using the nvidia config tool or are you hacking the xorg.conf?
> If you haven't attacked the xorg.conf back it up first then use the nvidia
> tool to overwrite it with the projector settings then edit the file for the
> higher resolution.
> On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 9:37 PM, Javier Candeira <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Today I have spent the best part of an afternoon fighting a projector
>> in a classroom. My laptop runs ubuntu 10.10, has a nvidia geforce go
>> 5200, and will only output 640x480 through VGA. I think the problem is
>> that the projector is behind an AV system that obscures the EDID,
>> because with monitors I have managed better.
>>
>> If anyone has experience marrying nvidia cards under ubuntu to
>> projectors, I will appreciate their help. Especially since I am
>> presenting at pycon this coming weekend!
>>
>> Struggling,
>>
>> Javier

> Rory Hart
> http://www.roryhart.net
> http://www.relishment.com

Re: Ubuntu and nvidia and Xorg and no-EDID projectors conspire against me

mattb-2

What version of the nvidia driver are you using? Or are you using nouveau?

-Matt

On Aug 15, 2011 11:24 PM, "Javier Candeira" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The nvidia-settings tool is what restricts me to 640x480.
>
> I have tried editing the xorg.conf by hand, using the strategy you
> suggest, with not much success. I'll give it another try tomorrow
> between classes.
>
> Thanks,

> On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 9:46 PM, Rory Hart <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Are you just using the nvidia config tool or are you hacking the xorg.conf?
>> If you haven't attacked the xorg.conf back it up first then use the nvidia
>> tool to overwrite it with the projector settings then edit the file for the
>> higher resolution.
>> On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 9:37 PM, Javier Candeira <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Today I have spent the best part of an afternoon fighting a projector
>>> in a classroom. My laptop runs ubuntu 10.10, has a nvidia geforce go
>>> 5200, and will only output 640x480 through VGA. I think the problem is
>>> that the projector is behind an AV system that obscures the EDID,
>>> because with monitors I have managed better.
>>>
>>> If anyone has experience marrying nvidia cards under ubuntu to
>>> projectors, I will appreciate their help. Especially since I am
>>> presenting at pycon this coming weekend!
>>>
>>> Struggling,
>>>
>>> Javier
>>

>> --
>> Rory Hart
>> http://www.roryhart.net
>> http://www.relishment.com

Re: Ubuntu and nvidia and Xorg and no-EDID projectors conspire against me

Darius Powell-2
You could always try using xrandr directly rather than modifying xorg
directly (and presumably restarting X).

To output to 2 monitors using 1 vga and 1 hdmi I use:

/usr/bin/xrandr --output VGA-0 --preferred --output HDMI-0 --preferred
--right-of VGA-0

See xrandr --help for info.

On 16 August 2011 11:37, mattb b <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What version of the nvidia driver are you using? Or are you using nouveau?
>
> -Matt
>
> On Aug 15, 2011 11:24 PM, "Javier Candeira" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> The nvidia-settings tool is what restricts me to 640x480.
>>
>> I have tried editing the xorg.conf by hand, using the strategy you
>> suggest, with not much success. I'll give it another try tomorrow
>> between classes.
>>
>> Thanks,

>> On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 9:46 PM, Rory Hart <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Are you just using the nvidia config tool or are you hacking the
>>> xorg.conf?
>>> If you haven't attacked the xorg.conf back it up first then use the
>>> nvidia
>>> tool to overwrite it with the projector settings then edit the file for
>>> the
>>> higher resolution.

>>> --
>>> Rory Hart
>>> http://www.roryhart.net
>>> http://www.relishment.com

Re: Ubuntu and nvidia and Xorg and no-EDID projectors conspire against me

Javier Candeira
Thanks, I tried xrandr too, but the nvidia driver didn't seem to work
with xrandr.

I have asked to borrow a Windows laptop. If I get it I will install my
stack in a VirtualBox VM and look at fixing my projector woes some
other time.

Thanks,

Javier

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 8:47 PM, Darius Powell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You could always try using xrandr directly rather than modifying xorg
> directly (and presumably restarting X).
>
> To output to 2 monitors using 1 vga and 1 hdmi I use:
>
> /usr/bin/xrandr --output VGA-0 --preferred --output HDMI-0 --preferred
> --right-of VGA-0
>
> See xrandr --help for info.
>
> On 16 August 2011 11:37, mattb b <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> What version of the nvidia driver are you using? Or are you using nouveau?
>>
>> -Matt
>>
>> On Aug 15, 2011 11:24 PM, "Javier Candeira" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> The nvidia-settings tool is what restricts me to 640x480.
>>>
>>> I have tried editing the xorg.conf by hand, using the strategy you
>>> suggest, with not much success. I'll give it another try tomorrow
>>> between classes.
>>>
>>> Thanks,

Re: Ubuntu and nvidia and Xorg and no-EDID projectors conspire against me

Javier Candeira
Hello everyone, and thanks to everyone who offered their help.

In the end I have managed to get a loaner laptop with Windows in it,
and installed VirtualBox on it for my Debian install with aDjango
install in it.

In a way, I am using Windows as the laptop's firmware and projector
driver; with VirtualBox in fullscreen mode, you can't even tell it's
there.

Turtles all the way down, folks! Can you prove otherwise?

Cheers and thanks again,

Javier