Unable to install PyWin32 with Python 2.6.2 and 2.6.3

Unable to install PyWin32 with Python 2.6.2 and 2.6.3

Andrew Savige
After doing a fresh install of Python 2.6.3, I ran
pywin32-214.win32-py2.6.exe, downloaded from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pywin32/

At the end of the install was a dialog box stating that
"Postinstall script finished" but with an error message:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 601, in <module>
  File "<string>", line 311, in install
  File "<string>", line 149, in LoadSystemModule
ImportError: DLL load failed: This application has failed to start
because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the
application may fix this problem.

Googling uncovered a report of an identical error message at:

 http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-win32/2009-July/009336.html

with pywin32 build 213 and which stated that this problem had been
fixed with build 214.

In desperation, I uninstalled Python 2.6.3 and installed Python 2.6.2,
but still received the same error message shown above when installing
pywin32 on top of Python 2.6.2.

I'm running Windows XP SP2 and did a brand new install of Python
2.6.2/2.6.3 -- with the "Just for me" dialog box checked -- in
directory E:\tools\Python26 (using python-2.6.3.msi downloaded
from http://www.python.org/).

Please help.

Thanks,
/-\

Re: Unable to install PyWin32 with Python 2.6.2 and 2.6.3

Andrew Savige
> I'm running Windows XP SP2 and did a brand new install of Python
> 2.6.2/2.6.3 -- with the "Just for me" dialog box checked -- in
> directory E:\tools\Python26 (using python-2.6.3.msi downloaded
> from http://www.python.org/).

Aha, I just reinstalled 2.6.2 without the "Just for me" checkbox and
this time pywin32 installed successfully with the following message:

Copied pythoncom26.dll to C:\WINDOWS\system32\pythoncom26.dll
Copied pywintypes26.dll to C:\WINDOWS\system32\pywintypes26.dll
Registered: Python.Interpreter
Registered: Python.Dictionary
Registered: Python
-> Software\Python\PythonCore\2.6\Help[None]=None
-> Software\Python\PythonCore\2.6\Help\Pythonwin Reference[None]='E:\\tools\\Python26\\Lib\\site-packages\\PyWin32.chm'
Pythonwin has been registered in context menu
Creating directory E:\tools\Python26\Lib\site-packages\win32com\gen_py
Shortcut for Pythonwin created
Shortcut to documentation created
The pywin32 extensions were successfully installed.

BTW, I've been installing Python with the "Just for me" checked
because I don't like polluting my C:\Windows\system32 directory
with third party DLLs.

In particular, I need to set up a Python installation for all users
on a network drive, so don't want any files installed on the local
drive. Any tips on setting up a shared Windows Python install on a
network drive for all users would be appreciated.

Thanks,
/-\

Re: Unable to install PyWin32 with Python 2.6.2 and 2.6.3

Mark Tolonen-3

"Andrew Savige" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...
[...]

I have 2.6.2 running with pywin32-214. On XP SP2 as well.  I installed for
all users, however.  Have you tried that?

-Mark

Re: Unable to install PyWin32 with Python 2.6.2 and 2.6.3

NWViking
I found this solution on stackoverflow:
Had the above noted errors with my python27 pywin32 installation that got installed after my installation of ArcGIS on a windows2008 R2 server (trying to centralize our scripts). Found that for me, I had to start a command line window with run as adminstrator (right click to get that option in windows) and then run the following command line from the c:\arcpy27\arcgis10.1>python c:/arcpy27/arcgis10.1/scripts/pywin32_postinstall.py -install

I see a lot of people have run into this issue and I tried multiple things, but this was finally the solution that managed to get pywin32 installed.

Thanks so much for your solution. Took me a couple of install and uninstalls before I finally ran across your solution and modified it for my version.