Undocumented Dependency on SQLAlchemy?

Arne Grimstrup
Hi everyone,

I ran the test suite for ipython1 and got the following report:

[ERROR]: ipython1.test.test_notebook

Traceback (most recent call last):
   File
"/alma/ACS-7.0/Python/lib/python2.5/site-packages/twisted/trial/runner.py", line
555, in loadPackage
     module = modinfo.load()
   File
"/alma/ACS-7.0/Python/lib/python2.5/site-packages/twisted/python/modules.py",
line 386, in load
     return self.pathEntry.pythonPath.moduleLoader(self.name)
   File
"/alma/ACS-7.0/Python/lib/python2.5/site-packages/twisted/python/modules.py",
line 621, in moduleLoader
     return self._moduleLoader(modname)
   File
"/alma/ACS-7.0/Python/lib/python2.5/site-packages/twisted/python/reflect.py",
line 357, in namedAny
     topLevelPackage = __import__(trialname)
   File
"/alma/BUILDAREA/ACS/ExtProd/PRODUCTS/ipython1-saw/ipython1/test/test_notebook.py",
line 22, in <module>
     from ipython1.notebook import notebook, dbutil, xmlutil
   File
"/alma/BUILDAREA/ACS/ExtProd/PRODUCTS/ipython1-saw/ipython1/notebook/notebook.py",
line 20, in <module>
     import sqlalchemy as sqla
exceptions.ImportError: No module named sqlalchemy
Ran 116 tests in 7.629s

FAILED (errors=1, successes=116)

I reviewed the INSTALL and README files and didn't find any reference to
SQLAlchemy being a requirement, like Zope/Twisted.  A search of the
website (http://iptyon.scipy.org) also came up empty.  Is there somewhere
else I should look for this information?

Regards,

Arne

Re: Undocumented Dependency on SQLAlchemy?

Fernando Perez
Hi Arne,

On 8/24/07, Arne Grimstrup <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I ran the test suite for ipython1 and got the following report:
>
> [ERROR]: ipython1.test.test_notebook
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File
> "/alma/ACS-7.0/Python/lib/python2.5/site-packages/twisted/trial/runner.py", line
> 555, in loadPackage
>      module = modinfo.load()
>    File
> "/alma/ACS-7.0/Python/lib/python2.5/site-packages/twisted/python/modules.py",
> line 386, in load
>      return self.pathEntry.pythonPath.moduleLoader(self.name)
>    File
> "/alma/ACS-7.0/Python/lib/python2.5/site-packages/twisted/python/modules.py",
> line 621, in moduleLoader
>      return self._moduleLoader(modname)
>    File
> "/alma/ACS-7.0/Python/lib/python2.5/site-packages/twisted/python/reflect.py",
> line 357, in namedAny
>      topLevelPackage = __import__(trialname)
>    File
> "/alma/BUILDAREA/ACS/ExtProd/PRODUCTS/ipython1-saw/ipython1/test/test_notebook.py",
> line 22, in <module>
>      from ipython1.notebook import notebook, dbutil, xmlutil
>    File
> "/alma/BUILDAREA/ACS/ExtProd/PRODUCTS/ipython1-saw/ipython1/notebook/notebook.py",
> line 20, in <module>
>      import sqlalchemy as sqla
> exceptions.ImportError: No module named sqlalchemy
> Ran 116 tests in 7.629s
>
> FAILED (errors=1, successes=116)
>
> I reviewed the INSTALL and README files and didn't find any reference to
> SQLAlchemy being a requirement, like Zope/Twisted.  A search of the
> website (http://iptyon.scipy.org) also came up empty.  Is there somewhere
> else I should look for this information?

The two areas that are 'hard hat only' are core1/frontend and
notebook, and you've hit problems on both :)  You can safely ignore
all errors on them, but we should find a solution to make the notebook
tests optional, so they just get skipped or pass silently if
SQLALCHEMY is not installed.

So for now just ignore them, and we'll hide the dependency soon.  When
that stuff gets ready for release we'll revisit the issue, but since
right now you can't really even use the code yet, there's no point in
spending any time on getting SQLAlchemy at all.

Thanks for your patience and detailed reports though, we greatly
appreciate them.

Re: Undocumented Dependency on SQLAlchemy?

Arne Grimstrup
Hi Brian and Fernando,

Fernando Perez wrote:
> Hi Arne,

[Error report deleted]

> The two areas that are 'hard hat only' are core1/frontend and
> notebook, and you've hit problems on both :)  You can safely ignore
> all errors on them, but we should find a solution to make the notebook
> tests optional, so they just get skipped or pass silently if
> SQLALCHEMY is not installed.

I find the bugs so others don't have to. :-)  Brian mentioned earlier
that pexpect is also used in these areas, but I have that installed so
the error didn't manifest itself.

> So for now just ignore them, and we'll hide the dependency soon.  When
> that stuff gets ready for release we'll revisit the issue, but since
> right now you can't really even use the code yet, there's no point in
> spending any time on getting SQLAlchemy at all.
>
> Thanks for your patience and detailed reports though, we greatly
> appreciate them.
>
> Cheers,

Just another (minor) contribution on my part.  Thanks very much for
the quick responses!

Regards,

Arne