Upgrading Django from 1.11 to 2.2

אורי
Hi,

I want to upgrade Django from 1.11 to 2.2. Do I have to upgrade first to 2.0 and then to 2.1, or can I upgrade directly from 1.11 to 2.2?

By the way, we use many third-party packages and I'm not sure which version of Django they support. Maybe not all of them already support Django 2.2.

Thanks!

Re: Upgrading Django from 1.11 to 2.2

Anirudh Jain
First use 'pip freeze' in your virtual env to see all the packages installed. Then checkout their official, latest documentation to see whether they support django2.1 or not.

 Even if all them do, you might need to make a lot of changes in your code after upgrade.

And no, you dont need to install django2 install django2.1.

If you have checked libraries and are sure to upgrade then first uninstall prev version using 'pip uninstall django' and install the latest stable version by sinply using 'pip install django'

On Fri, 29 Mar 2019, 14:22 אורי, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I want to upgrade Django from 1.11 to 2.2. Do I have to upgrade first to 2.0 and then to 2.1, or can I upgrade directly from 1.11 to 2.2?

By the way, we use many third-party packages and I'm not sure which version of Django they support. Maybe not all of them already support Django 2.2.

Thanks!

Re: Upgrading Django from 1.11 to 2.2

aishtiaque
I'd suggest not worrying too much about upgrading to 2.2 right away. Since it's going to be an LTS release, the projects your project depends on will probably consider adding 2.2 support fairly fast.

But if you want to give it a shot anyway, I'd suggest taking a look at what changed from 1.11 to 2.0, and trying a version bump and checking which of your tests fail. As far as I'm concerned, there shouldn't be too many differences between the django 2.x versions.

There's also a guide provided by the official docs here: https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/2.1/howto/upgrade-version/

Hope this helps.

On Fri, Mar 29, 2019, 4:52 AM אורי <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I want to upgrade Django from 1.11 to 2.2. Do I have to upgrade first to 2.0 and then to 2.1, or can I upgrade directly from 1.11 to 2.2?

By the way, we use many third-party packages and I'm not sure which version of Django they support. Maybe not all of them already support Django 2.2.

Thanks!

Re: Upgrading Django from 1.11 to 2.2

Tim Graham-2
Consider the "Upgrading Django to a newer version" guide.
https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/stable/howto/upgrade-version/

On Friday, March 29, 2019 at 4:52:10 AM UTC-4, Uri Even-Chen wrote:
Hi,

I want to upgrade Django from 1.11 to 2.2. Do I have to upgrade first to 2.0 and then to 2.1, or can I upgrade directly from 1.11 to 2.2?

By the way, we use many third-party packages and I'm not sure which version of Django they support. Maybe not all of them already support Django 2.2.

Thanks!
אורי

Re: Upgrading Django from 1.11 to 2.2

Tim Graham-2
The advice is to go from one the major version to the next. Don't try to skip versions.

Re: Upgrading Django from 1.11 to 2.2

אורי
From the page Tim linked:

"If you’re upgrading through more than one feature version (e.g. A.B to A.B+2), it’s usually easier to upgrade through each feature release incrementally (A.B to A.B+1 to A.B+2) rather than to make all the changes for each feature release at once. For each feature release, use the latest patch release (A.B.C).

The same incremental upgrade approach is recommended when upgrading from one LTS to the next."

So it's written there. It's recommended to upgrade through each feature release incrementally and not directly from LTS to the next LTS.