Using numpy/matplotlib - DLL Load Failed

Using numpy/matplotlib - DLL Load Failed

lo.maximo73
Has anyone encountered this error before? What DLL is being searched for and not found? Any help is greatly appreciated!

>>> import numpy
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\numpy\__init__.py", line 142, in <module>
    import add_newdocs
  File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\numpy\add_newdocs.py", line 9, in <module>

    from numpy.lib import add_newdoc
  File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\numpy\lib\__init__.py", line 4, in <module

    from type_check import *
  File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\numpy\lib\type_check.py", line 8, in <modu
le>
    import numpy.core.numeric as _nx
  File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\numpy\core\__init__.py", line 5, in <modul
e>
    import multiarray

Re: Using numpy/matplotlib - DLL Load Failed

Barton
I have had tons of issues with python 2.7 and manifest issues that did
not occur in 2.6.
A short term solution would be to start python from the standard
(cpython) python.exe, import your extension libraries that don't play
nicely first, then import clr (relying on the late-bound import hook).

On 4/14/2011 7:26 AM, ElMariachi wrote:

> Has anyone encountered this error before? What DLL is being searched for and
> not found? Any help is greatly appreciated!

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "<stdin>", line 1, in<module>
>    File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\numpy\__init__.py", line 142, in
> <module>
>      import add_newdocs
>    File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\numpy\add_newdocs.py", line 9, in
> <module>
>
>      from numpy.lib import add_newdoc
>    File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\numpy\lib\__init__.py", line 4, in
> <module
>      from type_check import *
>    File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\numpy\lib\type_check.py", line 8, in
> <modu
> le>
>      import numpy.core.numeric as _nx
>    File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\numpy\core\__init__.py", line 5, in
> <modul
> e>
>      import multiarray
> ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found.

Re: Using numpy/matplotlib - DLL Load Failed

lo.maximo73
I've tried just this - starting up pythonnet.exe and importing pylab, or matplotlib, or numpy as the first import prior to clr. I still get the DLL not found errors. Have you found any other solution?

Barton wrote
I have had tons of issues with python 2.7 and manifest issues that did
not occur in 2.6.
A short term solution would be to start python from the standard
(cpython) python.exe, import your extension libraries that don't play
nicely first, then import clr (relying on the late-bound import hook).

On 4/14/2011 7:26 AM, ElMariachi wrote:
> Has anyone encountered this error before? What DLL is being searched for and
> not found? Any help is greatly appreciated!

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "<stdin>", line 1, in<module>
>    File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\numpy\__init__.py", line 142, in
> <module>
>      import add_newdocs
>    File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\numpy\add_newdocs.py", line 9, in
> <module>
>
>      from numpy.lib import add_newdoc
>    File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\numpy\lib\__init__.py", line 4, in
> <module
>      from type_check import *
>    File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\numpy\lib\type_check.py", line 8, in
> <modu
> le>
>      import numpy.core.numeric as _nx
>    File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\numpy\core\__init__.py", line 5, in
> <modul
> e>
>      import multiarray
> ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found.

Re: Using numpy/matplotlib - DLL Load Failed

Tribble, Brett
Import multiarray first as well. Numpy is doing an import in the __init__ according to what I see here, unless I'm wrong, which is also likely. Lather, rinse, repeat for any additional modules that fail to load.

This bug has plagued my pythondotnet usage since day 1...

Barton wrote:

> I have had tons of issues with python 2.7 and manifest issues that did
> not occur in 2.6.
> A short term solution would be to start python from the standard
> (cpython) python.exe, import your extension libraries that don't play
> nicely first, then import clr (relying on the late-bound import hook).
>
> On 4/14/2011 7:26 AM, ElMariachi wrote:
>> Has anyone encountered this error before? What DLL is being searched for
>> and
>> not found? Any help is greatly appreciated!

>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>    File "<stdin>", line 1, in<module>
>>    File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\numpy\__init__.py", line 142, in
>> <module>
>>      import add_newdocs
>>    File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\numpy\add_newdocs.py", line 9, in
>> <module>
>>
>>      from numpy.lib import add_newdoc
>>    File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\numpy\lib\__init__.py", line 4, in
>> <module
>>      from type_check import *
>>    File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\numpy\lib\type_check.py", line 8,
>> in
>> <modu
>> le>
>>      import numpy.core.numeric as _nx
>>    File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\numpy\core\__init__.py", line 5,
>> in
>> <modul
>> e>
>>      import multiarray
>> ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found.

Re: Using numpy/matplotlib - DLL Load Failed

lo.maximo73
I have tried, as you mentioned, importing multiarray first. It is a module declared in numpy.core (the filename is "multiarray.pyd") though I keep getting the same error. Any idea what else I might try?

>>> from numpy.core import multiarray
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "c:\python27\lib\site-packages\numpy\__init__.py", line 142, in <module>
    import add_newdocs
  File "c:\python27\lib\site-packages\numpy\add_newdocs.py", line 9, in <module>

    from numpy.lib import add_newdoc
  File "c:\python27\lib\site-packages\numpy\lib\__init__.py", line 4, in <module

    from type_check import *
  File "c:\python27\lib\site-packages\numpy\lib\type_check.py", line 8, in <modu
le>
    import numpy.core.numeric as _nx
  File "c:\python27\lib\site-packages\numpy\core\__init__.py", line 5, in <modul
e>
    import multiarray

Tribble, Brett wrote
Import multiarray first as well. Numpy is doing an import in the __init__ according to what I see here, unless I'm wrong, which is also likely. Lather, rinse, repeat for any additional modules that fail to load.

This bug has plagued my pythondotnet usage since day 1...

Re: Using numpy/matplotlib - DLL Load Failed

Tribble, Brett
Check to make sure that your pythonpath and system path are the same after you import the CLR. In other words, what are both of these set to when it works, and when it fails. Perhaps Barton has some idea what causes the underlying error.

Tribble, Brett wrote:

> Import multiarray first as well. Numpy is doing an import in the __init__
> according to what I see here, unless I'm wrong, which is also likely.
> Lather, rinse, repeat for any additional modules that fail to load.
>
> This bug has plagued my pythondotnet usage since day 1...

Re: Using numpy/matplotlib - DLL Load Failed

Barton
This is NOT what I have suggested. Use python.exe as installed by
python; this gives an unmanaged console app that should be able to
import your cpython extensions. THEN import clr; this activates a
late-binding of the .NET components. I use this technique successfully
to load even the most stubborn (like dynamically manifested wxWindows
for 2.7 which has the exact symptom) libraries. I may have time this
weekend to do the actual numpy test.
WBR, Barton