Quantcast

Using pygtk / glade / all-in-one on windows

Using pygtk / glade / all-in-one on windows

Tony Freeman-3
Hey all,

I don't use windows very much so I'm in a pickle trying to figure out how to launch a simple program that has a GUI xml file created with glade.  I guess ... I'm looking for a tutorial on how to use the pygtk all-in-one installer to pull in and use a gui with glade provided with the all-in-one installer package and to create a working shortcut to launch the app.  Or maybe what I want to do is do-able ... I just need to use python3? or maybe install some extra packages?

Here's my history ....

My app is pretty simple but it does use a blah.glade xml file for the user interface ... and I thought I could install the pygtk-all-in-one to launch it on windows.  I noticed that the all-in-one installs glade3, great, because that's what I have available on my RHEL6 box.  So I designed the interface on my linux box, but windows python2.7 doesn't like the xml file created with glade3 ... so to test I used a very old xml file created with an older version of glade and that worked (with a caveat).

It took a while for me to stumble upon a way to launch the GUI.  For instance this does NOT work:

Create a shortcut with this entry:
c:\python27\python.exe c:\python27\blah.py

The above doesn't work from the command prompt either.

This worked:  Launch pygtk terminal (installed with the all-in-one)
In that terminal if I type the above command it works!

I can probably install an old version of glade to get the GUI working but the problem would then be creating a shortcut that the user can click on to launch my app.

Please and thank you for any help/hints on getting this working in windows.

-- Tony