Videos of edu-sig talks at PyCon

Vern Ceder-3
They have the videos of our talks up already!

The panel is at http://pycon.blip.tv/file/4879118/

and my talk on Python and robots in high school is at
http://pycon.blip.tv/file/4880794/

Both were received pretty well, I think.

Cheers,
Vern

--
Vern Ceder
[hidden email], [hidden email]

Re: Videos of edu-sig talks at PyCon

Kirby Urner-6
On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 9:12 PM, Vern Ceder <[hidden email]> wrote:

> They have the videos of our talks up already!
>
> The panel is at http://pycon.blip.tv/file/4879118/
>
> and my talk on Python and robots in high school is at
> http://pycon.blip.tv/file/4880794/
>
> Both were received pretty well, I think.
>
> Cheers,
> Vern

I watched yours in its entirety Vern, enjoyed.  I like your
enthusiasm, a loss to Canterbury that y'er moving on.

I had no idea about these Georgia Tech robots.

More comments later I think.  Having these on BlipTV is a boon, as we
can watch and discuss, like a book club.

At the moment I'm in the middle of this one, Python and OpenGL.  Right
up my alley, I must say.

I should contact this guy!

http://pycon.blip.tv/file/4880794/

Looks like a great Pycon.  psf_snake was frowning on Twitter, that it
didn't get to go.

http://worldgame.blogspot.com/2011/03/pycon-2011.html

I'll post a solution to the "pi problem" here later...

Kirby

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 2:27 PM, Kirby Urner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 9:12 PM, Vern Ceder <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> They have the videos of our talks up already!
>>
>> The panel is at http://pycon.blip.tv/file/4879118/
>>
>> and my talk on Python and robots in high school is at
>> http://pycon.blip.tv/file/4880794/
>>
>> Both were received pretty well, I think.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Vern
>
> I watched yours in its entirety Vern, enjoyed.  I like your
> enthusiasm, a loss to Canterbury that y'er moving on.

Thanks, Kirby!

> I had no idea about these Georgia Tech robots.
>
> More comments later I think.  Having these on BlipTV is a boon, as we
> can watch and discuss, like a book club.

I agree... and the speed with which they've gotten them posted is amazing.

> At the moment I'm in the middle of this one, Python and OpenGL.  Right
> up my alley, I must say.
>
> I should contact this guy!
>
> http://pycon.blip.tv/file/4880794/
>
> Looks like a great Pycon.  psf_snake was frowning on Twitter, that it
> didn't get to go.

Indeed, I would say it was probably the best ever... although not as
much edu-sig as in past years...

Vern

--
Vern Ceder
[hidden email], [hidden email]
The Quick Python Book, 2nd Ed - http://bit.ly/bRsWDW

Re: Videos of edu-sig talks at PyCon

kirby urner-4
>> I should contact this guy!
>>
>> http://pycon.blip.tv/file/4880794/

That's Vern's talk, which I liked.

Then I should have linked to this OpenGL stuff, which is kinda like
what I've been doing in VPython.

http://blip.tv/file/4882916

But as of tonight, that talk in particular is down (not available).  I
hope this is a temporary situation.

Been watching some of the panel on IDEs, need to get to the one about
Python in teaching.

Still lots to catch up on.  Even if you got to go, there's a lotta
rings in the circus.  Asynch is the way to go.

Kirby

Re: Videos of edu-sig talks at PyCon

kirby urner-4

> Then I should have linked to this OpenGL stuff, which is kinda like
> what I've been doing in VPython.
>
> http://blip.tv/file/4882916
>
> But as of tonight, that talk in particular is down (not available).  I
> hope this is a temporary situation.

Yep, definitely broken for others as well.  We've made our comments on Disqus.

Sigh:  Python doing dancing polyhedrons has been so much what it's about for me.

Trajectory:

I came from Visual FoxPro (VFP), nowadays a sinking ship, looking for
ways to write Scene Description Language to POV-Ray, the then
free-on-CompuServ ray tracer (povray.org).

Rendering Waterman Polyhedrons (named by me, invented by Steve
Waterman) was one of my motivations back then, also explorations with
"quadray coordinates"):

http://dogfeathers.com/java/ccppoly.html  (Java applet, not by me)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadray_coordinates

I journaled my journey, which took me through Java, and Bruce Eckel's
famous writings, to like Python 1.6 I think it was:

http://www.4dsolutions.net/ocn/oop.html (starting in VFP around 1998)

http://www.4dsolutions.net/ocn/oop5.html (traversing through Java)

http://www.4dsolutions.net/ocn/oop7.html  (ending in Python)

http://www.mindviewinc.com/Index.php (good mentor along the way)

POV-Ray, VRML, LiveGraphics3D... all fill-in-the-blank type
applications (for the views), drawing from computed data (the model).

string.Template made sense, or nowadays just use the new formatting method.

http://www.4dsolutions.net/ocn/numeracy0.html (POV-Ray etc.)

Bridging Geometry and Geography then became the project, starting with
bridging the lexical / graphical.

Talk in Vilnius, Lithuania, giving some ideas.

http://www.4dsolutions.net/presentations/connectingthedots.pdf
(geography makes a splash towards the end -- "hexapent" refers to
tiling a sphere with hexagons and pentagons).

Getting our "education center" on Google Earth then became a job for
property management clerk (recent):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/17157315@N00/5382897441/  (screen shot,
Google Earth)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/17157315@N00/4083452440/ (FP at Laughing
Horse Books)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/17157315@N00/3292180674/in/photostream/
(FP at Cleveland High School)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/17157315@N00/4674039162/in/photostream/
(FP in a Quaker classroom)

Background:

I hail from an esoteric school of thought (not necessarily always by
choice) that features both a novel approach to polyhedrons, and an
alternative world map projection.

Having free and open source tools has meant staying in the game, at
least a little, though we're still out-manned and out-gunned by the
normals, not a new situation (standard Church of Subgenius talk).

Anyway, I hope the OpenGL talk at Pycon 2011 comes back eventually.
Why, of all the talks, would this one go away?  Or maybe more did.

Kirby

> Been watching some of the panel on IDEs, need to get to the one about
> Python in teaching.
>
> Still lots to catch up on.  Even if you got to go, there's a lotta
> rings in the circus.  Asynch is the way to go.
>
> Kirby

Re: Videos of edu-sig talks at PyCon

A. Jorge Garcia
Wow, I would REALLY like to see this clip!!!

Regards,
A. Jorge Garcia
Applied Math and CompSci
http://shadowfaxrant.blogspot.com
http://www.youtube.com/calcpage2009

> Then I should have linked to this OpenGL stuff, which is kinda like
> what I've been doing in VPython.
>
> http://blip.tv/file/4882916
>
> But as of tonight, that talk in particular is down (not available).  I
> hope this is a temporary situation.

Re: Videos of edu-sig talks at PyCon

kirby urner-4
Good news, this link has been fixed:

http://pycon.blip.tv/file/4882916/

Great Pycon 2011 talk showing off a potentially bright future for
Python where communicating about spatial geometry is concerned.

About getting maximum value out of OpenGL by simplifying the API and
using minimalist code, among other things.

Kirby