Webapplication and Javascript

Stephan Diehl
Hi,

I'm in the process of developing a kind of web widget library.
I guess that it will be similar to lifepage (nevow) :)
The ultimate goal is to have a development platform that allows to write
Webapplications exactly in the same way than other GUI applications.
Obviously, I'm still far away from that goal...
Anyway, the Javascript part will be (is) based on Mochikit. The backend part
is basicly a JsonRpc Server (at the moment based on Webware).
The (html) widgets render either as html, if they are served by the webserver
end or in a json compatible format, if served by the JsonRpc end.

Has anybody done anything like this before? Or thought about it?

If there is real interest, I'd be putting together a release of what I have
already.
----
Stephan

Re: Webapplication and Javascript

Shannon -jj Behrens
I've seen two things similar to this lately:

http://www.innoscript.org/content/view/30/42/
http://www.turbogears.org/

Perhaps that aren't 100% matches with your project, but they're close.
 It'd be great if you guys could work together!

Best Regards,
-jj

On 9/21/05, Stephan Diehl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm in the process of developing a kind of web widget library.
> I guess that it will be similar to lifepage (nevow) :)
> The ultimate goal is to have a development platform that allows to write
> Webapplications exactly in the same way than other GUI applications.
> Obviously, I'm still far away from that goal...
> Anyway, the Javascript part will be (is) based on Mochikit. The backend part
> is basicly a JsonRpc Server (at the moment based on Webware).
> The (html) widgets render either as html, if they are served by the webserver
> end or in a json compatible format, if served by the JsonRpc end.
>
> Has anybody done anything like this before? Or thought about it?
>
> If there is real interest, I'd be putting together a release of what I have
> already.
> ----
> Stephan

I have decided to switch to Gmail, but messages to my Yahoo account will
still get through.

Re: Webapplication and Javascript

René Dudfield
Hey,

I have done something similar, but with xmlrpc ( using the jsolait
library ) instead of jsonrpc.

It is a Melbourne arts, music, and creative comunity site
http://www.pretendpaper.com/

The current site is an old version of the code, and I have since done
a lot to improve it.  Refactoring, and cleaning up has been a big part
of it, as the current live site was more a proof of concept to try
different approaches.

I like the approach because it makes it easy to write scripts that
interact with the website remotely.  However there are a lot of
browser performance, and browser compatibility issues with generating
pages based on dynamic requests.  It was very time consuming, because
a lot of it was working with new things, and working around bugs.  But
very interesting none the less :)

I might think of swapping xmlrpc with jsonrpc later on.  However when
I started jsonrpc was not really working very well across
implementations/languages.

Cheers,

Rene Dudfield.
Melbourne websites, creative and technical services
http://www.madecollective.com/

On Wednesday 21 September 2005 20:18, Shannon -jj Behrens wrote:
> I've seen two things similar to this lately:
>
> http://www.innoscript.org/content/view/30/42/

this is certainly quite an interesting project. I'm aiming at something a bit
lighter :)

> http://www.turbogears.org/

If my stuff were ready and Kevin liked it, it could go in there...
---
Stephan

> Perhaps that aren't 100% matches with your project, but they're close.
>  It'd be great if you guys could work together!
>
> Best Regards,
> -jj
>
> On 9/21/05, Stephan Diehl <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm in the process of developing a kind of web widget library.
[...]