Website needs to move - host machine going offline

Website needs to move - host machine going offline

Art Haas
Hi.

For those still on the list and following the (lack of) PythonCAD
development, I writing to say that the machine hosting the website
is going offline. I don't host the site myself; the site has been
on a machine owned and operated by a friend. Last year he was going
to transfer control of the machine to some other people, and the
new folks were going to continue hosting the site. For one reason
or another, the transfer never occured. The machine, though, is now
going offline soon, so for some period of time the website will be
down until I can find a new host.

As for the lack of PythonCAD development, as I wrote months ago I
started a full-time job in July, so my time to work on the program
greatly diminished. I am home very little during the week, and during
the weekends I don't usually have free time to tinker with the code.

When the website goes away, access to the Subversion repo will go away
as well. The code can be retrieved from the Git repo hosted at

http://git.or.cz/

Art Haas

-Thomas Jefferson to James Smith, 1822

Re: Website needs to move - host machine going offline

Yagnesh Desai

This seems serious . .

Can you tell any timeline till which the site can be up also
inform us of  the infrastructure required for hosting.

Someone on the list might have just right m/c to host PythonCAD.

Regards

Yagnesh Desai
Save a tree : Think before printing this email.

pythoncad-bounces+ynd=[hidden email] wrote on 01/20/2008 08:27:50 PM:

> Hi.
>
> For those still on the list and following the (lack of) PythonCAD
> development, I writing to say that the machine hosting the website
> is going offline. I don't host the site myself; the site has been
> on a machine owned and operated by a friend. Last year he was going
> to transfer control of the machine to some other people, and the
> new folks were going to continue hosting the site. For one reason
> or another, the transfer never occured. The machine, though, is now
> going offline soon, so for some period of time the website will be
> down until I can find a new host.
>
> As for the lack of PythonCAD development, as I wrote months ago I
> started a full-time job in July, so my time to work on the program
> greatly diminished. I am home very little during the week, and during
> the weekends I don't usually have free time to tinker with the code.
>
> When the website goes away, access to the Subversion repo will go away
> as well. The code can be retrieved from the Git repo hosted at
>
> http://git.or.cz/
>
> Art Haas
> --
> Man once surrendering his reason, has no remaining guard against absurdities
> the most monstrous, and like a ship without rudder, is the sport of
> every wind.
>
> -Thomas Jefferson to James Smith, 1822

Re: Website needs to move - host machine going offline

José Antonio Martín Prieto
Hi.
These are not good news.
While a new, professional hosting is found, I could host the site in
the same machine where the pythoncad wiki is hosted. However, this is
only a desktop machine with a dynamic ip address. Also the bandwidth
is not too broad.
I can't, however, host the git repository.

I think that we could use sourceforge or the like to host both the
website, the wiki and the repo.

Regarding the current status of the project, since Art doesn't have
much time and he is almost the only contributor, I think that we
should look for the way that more people could contribute to the
project.

Regards,
José Antonio Martín

On Jan 20, 2008 5:27 PM, Art Haas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> For those still on the list and following the (lack of) PythonCAD
> development, I writing to say that the machine hosting the website
> is going offline. I don't host the site myself; the site has been
> on a machine owned and operated by a friend. Last year he was going
> to transfer control of the machine to some other people, and the
> new folks were going to continue hosting the site. For one reason
> or another, the transfer never occured. The machine, though, is now
> going offline soon, so for some period of time the website will be
> down until I can find a new host.
>
> As for the lack of PythonCAD development, as I wrote months ago I
> started a full-time job in July, so my time to work on the program
> greatly diminished. I am home very little during the week, and during
> the weekends I don't usually have free time to tinker with the code.
>
> When the website goes away, access to the Subversion repo will go away
> as well. The code can be retrieved from the Git repo hosted at
>
> http://git.or.cz/
>
> Art Haas
> --
> Man once surrendering his reason, has no remaining guard against absurdities
> the most monstrous, and like a ship without rudder, is the sport of every wind.
>
> -Thomas Jefferson to James Smith, 1822

"In a world without frontiers, who needs Gates and Windows?

Re: Website needs to move - host machine going offline

lesleyb
Art Haas wrote:

> Hi.
>
> For those still on the list and following the (lack of) PythonCAD
> development, I writing to say that the machine hosting the website
> is going offline. I don't host the site myself; the site has been
> on a machine owned and operated by a friend. Last year he was going
> to transfer control of the machine to some other people, and the
> new folks were going to continue hosting the site. For one reason
> or another, the transfer never occured. The machine, though, is now
> going offline soon, so for some period of time the website will be
> down until I can find a new host.
>
> As for the lack of PythonCAD development, as I wrote months ago I
> started a full-time job in July, so my time to work on the program
> greatly diminished. I am home very little during the week, and during
> the weekends I don't usually have free time to tinker with the code.
>
> When the website goes away, access to the Subversion repo will go away
> as well. The code can be retrieved from the Git repo hosted at
>
> http://git.or.cz/
>
> Art Haas

Please let us know what the site requirements are.

Regards

L.

Re: Website needs to move - host machine going offline

John Griessen

> Art Haas wrote:
>> Hi.
>>
>> For those still on the list and following the (lack of) PythonCAD
>> development, I writing to say that the machine hosting the website
>> is going offline.

I've got a server with extra capacity.   I'll offer to host pythoncad for a year.

John Griessen

Re: Website needs to move - host machine going offline

José Antonio Martín Prieto
Hi.
Has something been decided about the hosting of the website?

Regards,
José Antonio Martín

On Mon, Feb 18, 2008 at 10:32:55AM +0100, Jos? Antonio Mart?n Prieto wrote:
> Hi.
> Has something been decided about the hosting of the website?

Yes. I've moved the pages to Russ Nelson's site, but the DNS stuff still
needs to be adjusted to point to the new location. I will hopefully take
care of the DNS adjustments this week. The old site is still accessible,
I believe.

I'd like to thank everyone for their offers to host the site as it is
nice to see that there is still interest in PythonCAD.

Art Haas

-Thomas Jefferson to James Smith, 1822

Re: Website needs to move - host machine going offline

José Antonio Martín Prieto
> I'd like to thank everyone for their offers to host the site as
> it is nice to see that there is still interest in PythonCAD.

Unfortunately, I think that this interest does not have much effect in
the development of PythonCAD. Now that Art is quite busy, this
development is slower than before.

I think that we should find a way that more people could help in the
development of pythoncad.

IMHO, the first step is trying to get a comprehensive documentation of
the program architecture. One advantage of python is that it's very
'high level' and has a very extensive documentation. This helps
amateur programmers to contribute to pythoncad.

Regards,
José Antonio Martín.

--
"In a world without frontiers, who needs Gates and Windows?

Re: Website needs to move - host machine going offline

Thomas Fritz-5
José Antonio Martín Prieto wrote:

>> I'd like to thank everyone for their offers to host the site as
>> it is nice to see that there is still interest in PythonCAD.
>
> Unfortunately, I think that this interest does not have much effect in
> the development of PythonCAD. Now that Art is quite busy, this
> development is slower than before.
>
> I think that we should find a way that more people could help in the
> development of pythoncad.
>
> IMHO, the first step is trying to get a comprehensive documentation of
> the program architecture. One advantage of python is that it's very
> 'high level' and has a very extensive documentation. This helps
> amateur programmers to contribute to pythoncad.
>
> Regards,
> José Antonio Martín.

I could probably do that, as I've completely dissected Art's code -
but there are some things about his approach that make me believe that
PythonCAD will remain a one-man project.